Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Great NZ Lockdown 2020 thread

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Figured I'd start a new thread about the NZ lock down/isolation for Covid19 separate from the other virus threads for our NZ members to place their thoughts as we head into uncharted territory here in NZ.

edit: I ask that we keep this thread for members to post their experience and thoughts during this period and do your best to stay on topic as there are plenty of other threads about the virus for idle chit chat etc.

Last edited:

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Day 1 Thursday March 26 2020

Weight: 113.5kg

First day of enforced isolation. Although I have spent many a day at home in my life today does indeed feel different. Not sure how.

This week before the lockdown I went out and brought paint and supplies to work on jobs around the house.

My missus is working from home this week but doesn't know what she is doing next week. Both my boys are home, no uni classes or exams but both have assessments to work on and my eldest son is working from home in his part time customer service roll for Sky TV.

I'm starting my isolation with a youtube binge, got a pot of chicken soup going on the stove and other basic chores as I seem to have taken up the house bitch roll this week.

One member of our family is sick and showing symptoms but at this stage they (the government) are refusing to test for Covid19 because we don't meet the strict criteria in place for testing i.e. have not travelled or been in direct contact with a known infected person even though it is basically confirmed that there is community transmission in NZ. Advice given is to call an ambulance if symptoms get worse!

I'm not at work even though my employer is still open at this point, but I have called in and let them know we are in isolation because of a sick family member as suggested by the 0800 Healthline contact.

I have also heard in the last hour that the army is setting up road blocks north of Auckland. No doubt this will be happening around the country to prevent unnecessary movement between main centres. Life is going to be interesting for the next 4 weeks at least.

edit: I'm adding something just to make it this a little more interesting (my weight).

Last edited:

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Wow, a fascinating insight.

My first day working from home today, not enforced yet, but majority of people are doing it as its primarily office based.
I can see Victoria and rest of Aus edging closer to the NZ stance.

marty351

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl gemini
Might want to edit the date, unless you have a secret time machine you're not telling us about.:D

When the road blocks come up you know how seriously things are being taken. You can only hope you're well prepped for a few weeks of this, uncertainty in this time is the greatest stress on all of us. Good luck!;)

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers. And yes.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Excuse my jumping in on your thread, but as a very temporary recent Kiwi, I thought I may have something to contribute.

We arrived in NZ on Thursday 12 Mar. At the time we were well aware of the virus threat, but then it was a problem that existed on the other side of the world, and Australia was taking a very criticised ‘racist’ attitude to excluding high risk overseas students and tourists.
To quote one of our previous PMs, we were ‘alert but not alarmed’.
How quickly it all changed. From being relaxed about it all, we became concerned on Saturday night while watching the NRL, and by Monday night had decided that it was game over, time to get home.

We are now in the 6th or 7th day of isolation, depending how you interpret the rules.
Neither of us have any symptoms, but right now are at the critical point of displaying any of those symptoms.

We have told our neighbours of our situation, from a distance, and are fortunate we have a large house and block to hibernate in.
So far we have communicated to friends and family via phone/email, and are using the food that we had in the freezer and cupboard. But our concern is whether there is anything left in the supermarkets when we finish, and what the lockdown rules will be by then.
(We could die from starvation rather than the virus … joke. :( )

I have spent time mowing, trimming hedges, chopping branches, de-cob-webbing, and sorting out travel cancellation correspondence.
Missus has cleaned and vacuumed the house way beyond necessary, and walked the perimeter of our block for an hour each day.
The cars have been on battery chargers, and tomorrow I will put them in the driveway, run the engines to circulate the oil, and go for an imaginary drive while making appropriate ‘vroom, vroom’ noises.

As NZ wakes up 2 hours before Aus does, I can see us following Jacinta's recent decisions very closely.
I feel for people who have to self isolate in apartments or town houses, and lack the opportunity get outside and do things.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
was at work when the lockdown took effect , last night the roads were very quiet , a lot of police out though ,
We have friends who arrived back from SA , message from them ," so glad to be home , a murderous flight back "
from I can gather people seem to be complying , but early days yet

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Excuse my jumping in on your thread, but as a very temporary recent Kiwi, I thought I may have something to contribute.

We arrived in NZ on Thursday 12 Mar. At the time we were well aware of the virus threat, but then it was a problem that existed on the other side of the world, and Australia was taking a very criticised ‘racist’ attitude to excluding high risk overseas students and tourists.
How quickly it all changed. From being relaxed about it all, we became concerned on Saturday night while watching the NRL, and by Monday night had decided that it was game over, time to get home.

We are now in the 6th or 7th day of isolation, depending how you interpret the rules.
Neither of us have any symptoms, but right now are at the critical point of displaying any of those symptoms.

We have told our neighbours of our situation, from a distance, and are fortunate we have a large house and block to hibernate in.
So far we have communicated to friends and family via phone/email, and are using the food that we had in the freezer and cupboard. But our concern is whether there is anything left in the supermarkets when we finish, and what the lockdown rules will be by then.

I have spent time mowing, trimming hedges, chopping branches, de-cob-webbing, and sorting out travel cancellation correspondence.
Missus has cleaned and vacuumed the house way beyond necessary, and walked the perimeter of our block for an hour each day.
The cars have been on battery chargers, and tomorrow I will put them in the driveway, run the engines to circulate the oil, and go for an imaginary drive while making appropriate ‘vroom, vroom’ noises.

As NZ wakes up 2 hours before Aus does, I can see us following Jacinta's recent decisions very closely.
I feel for people who have to self isolate in apartments or town houses, and lack the opportunity get outside and do things.

sounds as though Australia probably will , my nephew and his family in Sydney have gone into voluntary lockdown , as sports journo , he can work from home and his partner is expecting their second child so its done as a safety measure , as has my cousin

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride

Please keep posting as I'm interested in your insight into been isolated/quarantined.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
was at work when the lockdown took effect , last night the roads were very quiet , a lot of police out though ,
We have friends who arrived back from SA , message from them ," so glad to be home , a murderous flight back "
from I can gather people seem to be complying , but early days yet

Our local street is quiet. The odd walker, solitary. and the regular bus service, always empty. We can see the Southern motorway in the distance and although it is quiet, it's not that quiet. Plenty of trucks (as expected) but still seeing a fair few cars.

...and our neighbours 2 doors down just had visitors!