Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Great NZ Lockdown 2020 thread

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by immortality, Mar 26, 2020.

1. immortality

immortality Can't live without smoky bacon! Staff Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
    Figured I'd start a new thread about the NZ lock down/isolation for Covid19 separate from the other virus threads for our NZ members to place their thoughts as we head into uncharted territory here in NZ.

edit: I ask that we keep this thread for members to post their experience and thoughts during this period and do your best to stay on topic as there are plenty of other threads about the virus for idle chit chat etc.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    VS_Pete likes this.
  2. immortality

Members Ride:
    Day 1 Thursday March 26 2020

Weight: 113.5kg

First day of enforced isolation. Although I have spent many a day at home in my life today does indeed feel different. Not sure how.

This week before the lockdown I went out and brought paint and supplies to work on jobs around the house.

My missus is working from home this week but doesn't know what she is doing next week. Both my boys are home, no uni classes or exams but both have assessments to work on and my eldest son is working from home in his part time customer service roll for Sky TV.

I'm starting my isolation with a youtube binge, got a pot of chicken soup going on the stove and other basic chores as I seem to have taken up the house bitch roll this week.

One member of our family is sick and showing symptoms but at this stage they (the government) are refusing to test for Covid19 because we don't meet the strict criteria in place for testing i.e. have not travelled or been in direct contact with a known infected person even though it is basically confirmed that there is community transmission in NZ. Advice given is to call an ambulance if symptoms get worse!

I'm not at work even though my employer is still open at this point, but I have called in and let them know we are in isolation because of a sick family member as suggested by the 0800 Healthline contact.

I have also heard in the last hour that the army is setting up road blocks north of Auckland. No doubt this will be happening around the country to prevent unnecessary movement between main centres. Life is going to be interesting for the next 4 weeks at least.

edit: I'm adding something just to make it this a little more interesting (my weight).

Ron Burgundy, VS_Pete, VS 5.0 and 2 others like this.
  3. Derekthetree

Derekthetree Active Member

Members Ride:
    Gen-F R8 SV Manual
    Wow, a fascinating insight.

My first day working from home today, not enforced yet, but majority of people are doing it as its primarily office based.
    I can see Victoria and rest of Aus edging closer to the NZ stance.

4. marty351

marty351 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vl gemini
    Might want to edit the date, unless you have a secret time machine you're not telling us about.:D

When the road blocks come up you know how seriously things are being taken. You can only hope you're well prepped for a few weeks of this, uncertainty in this time is the greatest stress on all of us. Good luck!;)

5. immortality

Members Ride:
    Cheers. And yes.

6. figjam

figjam Donating Member

Members Ride:
    Monaro CV8, Cross 6 Crewman, Territory Ghia.
    Excuse my jumping in on your thread, but as a very temporary recent Kiwi, I thought I may have something to contribute.

We arrived in NZ on Thursday 12 Mar. At the time we were well aware of the virus threat, but then it was a problem that existed on the other side of the world, and Australia was taking a very criticised ‘racist’ attitude to excluding high risk overseas students and tourists.
    To quote one of our previous PMs, we were ‘alert but not alarmed’.
    How quickly it all changed. From being relaxed about it all, we became concerned on Saturday night while watching the NRL, and by Monday night had decided that it was game over, time to get home.

We are now in the 6th or 7th day of isolation, depending how you interpret the rules.
    Neither of us have any symptoms, but right now are at the critical point of displaying any of those symptoms.

We have told our neighbours of our situation, from a distance, and are fortunate we have a large house and block to hibernate in.
    So far we have communicated to friends and family via phone/email, and are using the food that we had in the freezer and cupboard. But our concern is whether there is anything left in the supermarkets when we finish, and what the lockdown rules will be by then.
    (We could die from starvation rather than the virus … joke. :( )

I have spent time mowing, trimming hedges, chopping branches, de-cob-webbing, and sorting out travel cancellation correspondence.
    Missus has cleaned and vacuumed the house way beyond necessary, and walked the perimeter of our block for an hour each day.
    The cars have been on battery chargers, and tomorrow I will put them in the driveway, run the engines to circulate the oil, and go for an imaginary drive while making appropriate ‘vroom, vroom’ noises.

As NZ wakes up 2 hours before Aus does, I can see us following Jacinta's recent decisions very closely.
    I feel for people who have to self isolate in apartments or town houses, and lack the opportunity get outside and do things.

7. commodore665

commodore665 expat Saffa

Members Ride:
    2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
    was at work when the lockdown took effect , last night the roads were very quiet , a lot of police out though ,
    We have friends who arrived back from SA , message from them ," so glad to be home , a murderous flight back "
    from I can gather people seem to be complying , but early days yet

8. commodore665

commodore665 expat Saffa

Members Ride:
    sounds as though Australia probably will , my nephew and his family in Sydney have gone into voluntary lockdown , as sports journo , he can work from home and his partner is expecting their second child so its done as a safety measure , as has my cousin

9. immortality

Members Ride:
    Please keep posting as I'm interested in your insight into been isolated/quarantined.

figjam likes this.
  10. immortality

Members Ride:
    Our local street is quiet. The odd walker, solitary. and the regular bus service, always empty. We can see the Southern motorway in the distance and although it is quiet, it's not that quiet. Plenty of trucks (as expected) but still seeing a fair few cars.

...and our neighbours 2 doors down just had visitors!

11. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    Great to have an insight into the NZ experience.

I have read claims that the lockdown is a Clayton's arrangement and a marketing exercise more than anything else.

Your comments re military involvement seem to indicate otherwise.

Good Luck !

immortality likes this.
  12. commodore665

commodore665 expat Saffa

Members Ride:
    the military involvement here is as a back up to the Police , you will get theories on why we're doing it , although a marketing exercise is a new one

13. immortality

Members Ride:
    It's getting serious.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12320079

Police have been visiting companies that have not closed down. I think today is be nice day. Hopefully tomorrow is Hammer Time!

Apparently my employer has seen the light of day. Latest update via the grapevine is they plan to close up Friday. I am still working on the problem.

commodore665 likes this.
  14. Nitro_X

Nitro_X Numbskull

Members Ride:
    2007 VE SV6
    Martial Law in NZ....I sincerely hope Australia does not follow suit.
    It will be interesting to see how long and how well NZ citizens comply with these draconian measures.
    Maybe you're all used to feeling isolated ;)

I live in a remote regional area of Oz, the two big supermarket chains have 2 uniformed private security guards now wandering each of their stores.
    But shelves are still low on dunny paper.

How's the dunny paper situation in NZ?
    It's a serious question, have the lockdowns and police made a difference regarding panic buying and hoarding essential household items?

Whats the go with shopping? Online order and delivery only?

Are NZ cafe and hospitality businesses and their industry organisations wanting to ban cash money transactions because it is a dirty carrier of germs that kill people?
    (I'm asking because that's exactly what's being called for here)

15. immortality

Members Ride:
    It's not martial law. But we are now under operating under Civil Emergency condition for the next 7 days.

Dunny paper was fine, shopping in general seems fine. There was a rush before the Level 4 shut down but it has passed.

Shops that are essential and have an online option can courier items. Supermarkets are also doing online shopping.

All non essential places of business are now closed. That means restuarants, cafe's etc. Some places have said that they will accept eftpos only during this period.

16. wetwork65

wetwork65 A wet business

Members Ride:
    VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
    Surprised that its not all retailers saying no to cash.
    My local Bunnings is eftpos only (cash if you are really stuck) as are the local petrol stations here on the Northern Beaches. Was amusing when I filled, the "systems" had gone down! So they had to take cash after all.
    NZ always had a higher use of eftpos that Australia before now. Guess that will change now for ever on both sides of the ditch.

17. immortality

Members Ride:
    I don't think a shop can refuse legal tender as a form of payment under normal circumstances. Obviously the current situation is a bit different.

18. Nitro_X

Nitro_X Numbskull

Members Ride:
    2007 VE SV6

19. rucxy

rucxy Donating Member

Members Ride:
    06 VE SSV L98
    Hoping that the winter season coming to NZ will assist in the lockdown and slow the spread of the virus.
    Day 1 of lockdown, had to go to work and open up for the technician to electrically test our bucket truck(EWP).

20. immortality

Members Ride:
    Chorus is cooking along, Vodafone has fallen over twice in 2 days.

Power is stable and with people off the road probably safer than any normal day.