Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Great NZ Lockdown 2020 thread

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
Don’t know what you Kiwis make of this https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12322611
I don’t think that ScoMO was targeting NZ. Over-reaction by Jacinda, who is probably stressed out of her brain at the moment ?

Firstly, it resulted in a strategic win for Jacinda and all Kiwis living in Australia under visa subclass 444 rules who lost employment due to Covid-19 and were going to have to return to NZ or starve. https://www.odt.co.nz/news/australia/kiwis-living-aussie-able-get-coronavirus-financial-aid

Kiwis who arrived in Australia after 26 Feb 2001 are defined as a subclass and automatically given a visa to allow them to work (but not benefit from any taxes they pay). https://www.seekvisa.com.au/special-category-visa-subclass-444/

This discrimination only applies to New Zealanders (who typically earn more and pay higher taxes in Australia than Australians of the same age). Australians in New Zealand are eligible for the same rights and benefits as any New Zealand citizen. New Zealand still abides by the 1983 CER free trade agreement even if Australia doesn't

Historically, many foreign nationals didn't take up Australian citizenship because they were required to renounce their foreign citizenship and surrender their passport to do so.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
^^^.. good to know that both countries are doing the right thing.
When you cast a wide net, it is sure to have some holes, and also catch a few fish that you didn't intend to catch.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Historically, many foreign nationals didn't take up Australian citizenship because they were required to surrender their foreign citizenship and passport to do so.

I don't think that applies to Commonwealth citizens. It certainly doesn't apply to US citizens, and there are quite a few ISIS members who have dual citizenship, and now claim that they are true blue Aussies, and the Fed Govt should bring them back to Australia.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
but are not Australian citizens, (why, I don’t know )

I am friends with a number of Kiwis who have all been in Aus for ~30 years yet none have become Aus citizens.

It seems they don't want to give up their Kiwiness.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I am friends with a number of Kiwis who have all been in Aus for ~30 years yet none have become Aus citizens.

It seems they don't want to give up their Kiwiness.

lazy, also don't want to vote.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
We have been over here for nearly 20 years. We became citizens in 2007 mainly so we could help vote little johnny out and because we had no intention of going back. There was no requirement to give up our NZ citizenship. I am not sure but I believe the cost of citizenship was about $750 for the pair of us . I believe that since this time the cost to become an Australian citizen has risen dramatically and in the case of friends of ours stopped them from doing so. They have since returned to NZ.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Day 11, Sunday (Bloody Sunday) 5 April 2020

Glorious weather day. did **** all, didn't even bother to weight myself as the results would be disappointing with all the deserts I've been eating and lack of exercise.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Day 12, Monday 6th April,

Weight: 114.3 kg

Working on getting up at a more decent time as all my regular habits are out the window and I'm finding I'm just not getting on with ****. The end of daylight savings helps a bit here. Did a bit of stretching as the lower back is locking up and went for a decent walk to get things moving. Then got on with preparation for more painting. Whom ever painted this bit of the house last didn't do a very good job so I'm having the scrape the paint back to bare wood and sand the rest down ready for new primer. Spent about 4 hours up on the scaffolding. Arm/shoulder is buggered and had to stop for a dose of pain killers but I got through it, cleaned it ready for paint tomorrow. Finished up with a hot shower on the shoulder to help ease the pain and relax the muscles. Dinner was left overs and cookies and cream icecream. I think we have eaten most of the deserts and chocolates in the house now which is probably a good thing looking at my weight...