Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Great NZ Lockdown 2020 thread

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Great to have an insight into the NZ experience.

I have read claims that the lockdown is a Clayton's arrangement and a marketing exercise more than anything else.

Your comments re military involvement seem to indicate otherwise.

Good Luck !

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Great to have an insight into the NZ experience.

I have read claims that the lockdown is a Clayton's arrangement and a marketing exercise more than anything else.

Your comments re military involvement seem to indicate otherwise.

Good Luck !

the military involvement here is as a back up to the Police , you will get theories on why we're doing it , although a marketing exercise is a new one

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It's getting serious.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12320079

Police have been visiting companies that have not closed down. I think today is be nice day. Hopefully tomorrow is Hammer Time!

Apparently my employer has seen the light of day. Latest update via the grapevine is they plan to close up Friday. I am still working on the problem.

Nitro_X

Numbskull
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
Martial Law in NZ....I sincerely hope Australia does not follow suit.
It will be interesting to see how long and how well NZ citizens comply with these draconian measures.
Maybe you're all used to feeling isolated ;)

I live in a remote regional area of Oz, the two big supermarket chains have 2 uniformed private security guards now wandering each of their stores.
But shelves are still low on dunny paper.

How's the dunny paper situation in NZ?
It's a serious question, have the lockdowns and police made a difference regarding panic buying and hoarding essential household items?

Whats the go with shopping? Online order and delivery only?

Are NZ cafe and hospitality businesses and their industry organisations wanting to ban cash money transactions because it is a dirty carrier of germs that kill people?
(I'm asking because that's exactly what's being called for here)

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
It's not martial law. But we are now under operating under Civil Emergency condition for the next 7 days.

Dunny paper was fine, shopping in general seems fine. There was a rush before the Level 4 shut down but it has passed.

Shops that are essential and have an online option can courier items. Supermarkets are also doing online shopping.

All non essential places of business are now closed. That means restuarants, cafe's etc. Some places have said that they will accept eftpos only during this period.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
It's not martial law. But we are now under operating under Civil Emergency condition for the next 7 days.

Dunny paper was fine, shopping in general seems fine. There was a rush before the Level 4 shut down but it has passed.

Shops that are essential and have an online option can courier items. Supermarkets are also doing online shopping.

All non essential places of business are now closed. That means restuarants, cafe's etc. Some places have said that they will accept eftpos only during this period.
Surprised that its not all retailers saying no to cash.
My local Bunnings is eftpos only (cash if you are really stuck) as are the local petrol stations here on the Northern Beaches. Was amusing when I filled, the "systems" had gone down! So they had to take cash after all.
NZ always had a higher use of eftpos that Australia before now. Guess that will change now for ever on both sides of the ditch.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I don't think a shop can refuse legal tender as a form of payment under normal circumstances. Obviously the current situation is a bit different.

rucxy

Electrified Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE SSV L98
Hoping that the winter season coming to NZ will assist in the lockdown and slow the spread of the virus.
Day 1 of lockdown, had to go to work and open up for the technician to electrically test our bucket truck(EWP).

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Chorus is cooking along, Vodafone has fallen over twice in 2 days.

Power is stable and with people off the road probably safer than any normal day.