Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Infamous timing chain issue

Joshua Pevitt

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 VZ SV6 Commodore 5 Speed AUTO 3.6L
here we go again another alloytec timing chain thread my question is if there is anyway to correct Holden's design fault on the timing chains the PVC is as useless as it is crazy breatabilly system for these engines better off to replace that with a Oil Catch Can even if i get these chains replaced the gunk from poor maintenance will just do the whole "stretching" thing again I service my car every 5000km to prevent that these engines get a real bad rep from people who don't really know much about these engines these are a great engine dont let a dumb mistake from Holden put a bad rep on them

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
Oil catch cans are not exactly legal, and importantly, modifying emission control subsequently voids the emission standard that the engine otherwise meets. The PCV system has absolutely no relationship to or with the elongated timing chains issue that plagued a few thousand VZ and later VE engines (fully resolved by the time the VF arrived).

Over-servicing your car is worse. Servicing at 5,000km intervals is nothing more than a placebo sidekick: if the engine is proven to have gunk, clean that out professionally, and service as recommended with the correct, recommended oil, nothing more, nothing less. Intervals of 10 to 13,000km are common, even for long-range driving. Gunked engines are common in cars where short duration, stop-start driving and not getting up to operating temperature over and extended distance.