Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The King is dead. Long live the King! RIP Commodore :-(

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I'm probably wrong on this, but wasn't the VE from 2008 to around 2010 a German car, the body??

As pointed out by Imoengnr the VE underpinnings was the Zeta platform and the first 50/50 split for an Aussie designed Holden and was released in late 2006.

At the time the E Series HSV's were advertised as German killers.

The chassis was great from a performance car point of view but the tech and creature comforts didn't match the imported competition and once loyal Holden customers who didn't care about V8's started looking elsewhere to get better value for their money.

Holden (Commodore) lost their bread and butter customers to the better appointed Asian manufacturers then to SUV's and the rest is now history.

Mavericks Choice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV M6, VF2 LS3 Calais V, VZ 6L M6 Crewie
Have mentioned this elsewhere though when the tariffs were manipulated here in Aust. no wonder Detroit deserted our local product!

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
That’s actually incorrect. Any VW that’s anywhere near the size of a ZB is a huge amount more expensive, Audi considerably more so.
ZB is one of the, if not the, best car(s) in it’s class.
People just won’t buy one.
It’s basically the same deal with the nearly-as-good Mondeo.
They’re not as overpriced, underperforming, unattractive or thirsty as an SUV - so they’re not as popular.

We have a Golf and Tiguan 4-Motion. The Tiguan, though huge, was far cheaper and better specified than any of the German Commodores (especially the wagon), not that the sassy Nurse driving it would give two hoots for a Commodore. The Golf cost as much as my old VZ but was light years ahead in technology. The Tiguan I think was $44k on-road, fully optioned. Pity though all the technology packed into it didn't stop her colliding with a shopping trolley, or taking out her sister's letterbox, never mind the better judgement of the radar warnings!! :p

Smithston

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt ss 5.0
We have a tiguan and a vt ss. The tiguan panicks and shrieks electronic warnings and is almost dangerously gutless as the turbo wont kick in until the revs are up. Not very useful trying to get across an intersection. The vt thankfully just does as it's told

I am relieved i will not have to see the ZB on the race track for much longer. What a joke that was. Like your mum's new toy-boy getting about in your dad's favourite clothes . It is fitting that zb was a complete flop

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
As already said the entire Holden badge is destined to go.

I grew up with a Holden family wagon , first car was a Holden, built an FJ hotrod and got my first Commo about 5 years ago. (VX II Wagon). Looks like it's going to be my last unless some local (or Anglo Indian in Adelaide) buys the badge and builds some niche electrics.

No brand loyalty from me for anything GM.

Look for the day when there's a display of 'vintage petrol engine cars'. Father says to son, "these were made here in Australia" and the son doesn't believe. :(

zeropalooba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim L67 manual
No... VE/VF were built on the Zeta platform, which was designed here by Holden.
5th gen Camaro's also built on the Zeta platfom.
All other Commodores were built on the Opel designed GM 'V' platform.

Clintix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS Regal Peacock Sedan
Will this move bump up VF V8 prices ? more so series 2