Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The King is dead. Long live the King! RIP Commodore :-(

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
I don't think this will be the case. Vals were always the undesirable cheap alternative, back then, and the lack-of-interest then translates to a lack-of-interest now.
Similar to how an XR8 (remembering Ford is still around) is worth less than a Redline.
I tend to disagree with this pessimistic view about the value of an Australian built V8 , I think there is still a whole generation of rev heads out there that wish they could own an Aussie V8 , I know my nephew would sell his left nut to own one , probly both being he's gay , but anyhoo its easy to take for granted owning a V8 and the pure power/throb that you will never get from any EV that is the future .
Don't under right the value of a great car

M

mwb235

...I know my nephew would sell his left nut to own one, probably both being he's gay...

Hehe well said. But without a GF he'll have a much better chance of affording an 8 sooner rather than later! :D

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I tend to disagree with this pessimistic view about the value of an Australian built V8 , I think there is still a whole generation of rev heads out there that wish they could own an Aussie V8 , I know my nephew would sell his left nut to own one , probly both being he's gay , but anyhoo its easy to take for granted owning a V8 and the pure power/throb that you will never get from any EV that is the future .
Don't under right the value of a great car
Fuel availability & hence cost will become a devaluing problem before our VF’s are old enough to start appreciating. Part of the demand for older Aussie cars to date is the fact that everyone knows you can just drive up the servo & fill ‘er up for only about $1.60/L or thereabouts ... with fewer young people having an interest in cars at all, and as electric cars reduce the market for petrol which’ll push petrol prices up as well as closing servo’s, the dwindling number of interested people won’t consider owning & driving them to be something you can quickly & easily do.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'm not so sure??? Yes rumours have it that old cars won't be worth anything when electric vehicles are a viable option. But the same was said when an owner struggled to sell an EH for 500 bucks back in the mid 80s. I know I was one of many who thought POS old Holden would be be nothing but a shitbox that would cost you 150 - 200 bucks to take to the local tip/dump and be more hassle than it's worth. This was when HJ - HZ were the cars to have. Some had HQ's but they weren't the Holden's to own, because they had funny tail lights, of all things.

My grandfather used to set fire to old Holden's in the inner suburbs of Adelaide, so its body was worth something in scrap steel back in the 60s, because interiors made these old cars worth less than you could get if it was gutted.
Now us of those born in the 70s would love to own an old Holden, even more so if it was a V8. Condition will be a significant factor a beat up old POS V8 or not won't be anywhere near as desirable as good one. I think a number of us were not so dissimilar to some of the young ones now who think old cars are just that, bodgy old Holden's and Fords that will never be worth anything.

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Hehe well said. But without a GF he'll have a much better chance of affording an 8 sooner rather than later! :D
Well to be honest , the only reason I could afford to spend a $100.000 on mine is because I am single and pretty much allways have been , but not gay :)
Fuel availability & hence cost will become a devaluing problem before our VF’s are old enough to start appreciating. Part of the demand for older Aussie cars to date is the fact that everyone knows you can just drive up the servo & fill ‘er up for only about $1.60/L or thereabouts ... with fewer young people having an interest in cars at all, and as electric cars reduce the market for petrol which’ll push petrol prices up as well as closing servo’s, the dwindling number of interested people won’t consider owning & driving them to be something you can quickly & easily do.
Well that might be true , and I'm hoping there is some young rev head out there next year to buy mine so I can go buy a Tesla :p

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Gay number plate though.

ye , but will hold there value probly better than the car in comparison
EDIT: Disclaimer .... Not that there's anything wrong with that o_O

Last edited:

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
I don't think this will be the case. Vals were always the undesirable cheap alternative, back then, and the lack-of-interest then translates to a lack-of-interest now.
Similar to how an XR8 (remembering Ford is still around) is worth less than a Redline.
Says you Forg! Haha. There is actually a lot of interest in old Vals. Even povo pack models. Decent R/T (e37,38, 48 & 49's) can bring big six figure prices. But yeah, Vals were always the underdog in sales numbers. Not so in the underpinning engineering, power, torque and many others aspects of the cars back in the day though.
You're right though I reckon. Holden has always been far too popular, for the latest models to be forgotten when they reach classic age.

Last edited: