Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Kings guide to elimanating stereo noise.

tropical^fish

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT Calais 5.0
hey 12 volt - my electric aerial control module seems to be emitting some kind of interference (into the amps) when its up... when you press the down button the noise dissapears, sometimes for a while but usually comes straight back. As soon as i removed the module the noise was gone for good... but then realised that whats the point of an electric aerial if you cant use it, at all!
any assistance would be appreciated
thanks

Milkman

Reaction score
Members Ride
87 VL Commodore
i fixed a m8s car last nite,

problem: rear(non-amped) 6x9s were popping and sub amp would not turn on.

system faults: - B+ had slipped off terminal on amp
- amp was not correcetly grounded

upon correcting these faults 'popping' noise was eliminated and amp would turn on :D
-dont ask why :S

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
12Voltking said:
...mute the signal at the inputs to the amp by using shorting plugs...

Awsome instructions 12Volt - well done.

I'm just not sure what you mean by your comment above???

Ive just installed new speakers / amp and it all sounded unreal - while the car was stationary!! When I put it all back together and started driving, I noticed that annoying high-pitched whine.

The amp is under the passenger seat and is earthed to one of the seat mounting bolts. After speaking to Phreddy, he reckons I should've sanded/scraped the black paint off the seat mounting first?? Anyhow, that's the first thing I'll try, but yeah, please explain what you mean above. :thumbsup:

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
shorting plugs are simply a little ende cap that go over your RCAs that short them out so there is DEAD silence down the lines. Can be done with anytihng metal.

253@7k

300rwhp supra. yay.
Reaction score
Members Ride
TT Supra/HZ Ute.
12Voltking said:
shorting plugs are simply a little ende cap that go over your RCAs that short them out so there is DEAD silence down the lines. Can be done with anytihng metal.

So they bridge the + and - of the RCA's?

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
12Voltking said:

Can I just poke a bit of wire inside the RCA plugs and run it from one RCA plug to the other?

OR:

Can't I just unplug the RCA's from the amp, then turn the engine on, stereo on and see if the noise is still there?

phree

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Acclaim
Seat mounting bolts are notoriously bad earths. Try somewhere else before you do anything else. Make sure it is bare metal and solid.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
phree said:
Seat mounting bolts are notoriously bad earths. Try somewhere else before you do anything else. Make sure it is bare metal and solid.

How bout just straight back to the - of the battery if worst comes to worst??

phree

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Acclaim
The chassis is best. Drill a new hole, clean the paint off the contact area. Use a "star" washer, nut and bolt. Paint over the top after connecting to prevent rust.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
phree said:
The chassis is best. Drill a new hole, clean the paint off the contact area. Use a "star" washer, nut and bolt. Paint over the top after connecting to prevent rust.

Thanks phree, good plan.

Only trouble is, if the problem is still there after I do all that - I don't wanna go drilling heaps of holes in the car just trial & error...