Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Law!

Q

QLD Calais

Hey guys, i want to know peoples opinions of these new damnable Car laws! Im refering, in particular, to the modified vechiel laws of NSW and QLD. Stating that a Factory NA car cannot be turbo'd, rather drivin, by a 'P' Plater. And certain Horsepower restrictions would be imposed.. eg, no V8, 2L Turbos and up. all that nonsence.. I mean yeah were young but what the gay man. That Doesnt mean we CANT drive.. MY PERSONAL OPINION is that: If somebody young wants to go fast and crash, injuring themselves, that they took that risk, it was them who choose to, and regardless of the car, YOU CAN STILL GO FAST! So why do young drivers like myself and others get targeted? Isnt it democracy? Shouldnt i be able to choose the motor car i drive?

Well thats my Two cents. Bit Nieve but eh.

I beleive these laws were set to come in Early 2007.

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
on one hand, the idea has merit. i suppose it brings it in line with normal motorcycle licenses, you start with a toy, get used to it, then you can get the real guns, hopefully by then ones hoon bug will be quelled ( yeah right who am i kidding! ) and one would take their newly acquired v8 or turbo with more care.

maybe a small FF is less likely to be involved in corner related accidents. they understeer not oversteer. unless your playing with maccas trays

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
As I said in another thread, I think this particular law is pretty pointless. There are a good number of cars with small engines (under 2litres) that are fairly fast and would still be legal for a p-plater to drive, and almost any car is capable of doing 160kph plus nowadays, even the ones with tiny engines.

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
give em all golf buggy's ( electric )!

kenwstr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
Excuse me but if you loose control and wipe out, you will probably wipe out pasengers, pedestrians or people in other cars in the process. So it's clearly not a case of the consequences falling only on you.

Driving is a skill and like all skills grows with experience. People who have not been practicing a skill long do not have as much experience on which to base sound judgment. Do you think that after 1 year of guitar lessons you can get up on a stage and perform like Jimmy Hendrix. You won't hurt anyone with a guitar playing mistake but a mistake driving is potentially lethal to those around you. If you don't get that, I don't think you should be driving at all.

It's not these laws I'm commenting on, Its the attitude in the original post that seems to lack any appreciation that their actions effect others.

Ken

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
i rekon its funny, new p platers can drive 190kw 6 clyinder commodores or falcons, but they cant drive 110kw turbo 4 cylinder merc's, audi's and the like because they are turbo, even though the turbo is only the for fuel economy reasons

and its legal drive a a vk commodre with no saftey feature other then a shitty seatbelt, but once again you cant drive the turbo 4 cylinder merc's, audi's which have more airbags then you can poke a stick at, seat belt pretentioners, abs, traction control, esp, a very good structure about them.

if you still think its a good rule you have rocks in your head, i think victoria(it might be some other state) has the right idea, they have power to weight not just what motor the car has

rawnrg

Reaction score
Members Ride
None yet
i rekon its funny, new p platers can drive 190kw 6 clyinder commodores or falcons, but they cant drive 110kw turbo 4 cylinder merc's, audi's and the like because they are turbo, even though the turbo is only the for fuel economy reasons

and its legal drive a a vk commodre with no saftey feature other then a shitty seatbelt, but once again you cant drive the turbo 4 cylinder merc's, audi's which have more airbags then you can poke a stick at, seat belt pretentioners, abs, traction control, esp, a very good structure about them.

if you still think its a good rule you have rocks in your head, i think victoria(it might be some other state) has the right idea, they have power to weight not just what motor the car has

Victoria is about to cop the same **** rules, but it does have merit in one sense. However, while this wont happen, i personally want to see kids allowed to drive cars that are turbo'd or whatever, but only if they are downtuned to a reasonable level. Sure limiting cars like new XR6T's and such is smart but something like an older VL tuned to a safe level of power lets the kid have his car he wants, and gets to learn how to drive it safely. Instead of now, were kids are gunna buy shitboxes to drive and then once off p's, they gunna be able to drop 10k+ on something way too powerful when they have no experience of driving anything similar. Besides loosing the steering when driving a fwd is definately worse than having the back end step out a little in a rwd car with a bit of power.

crazyspoon05

Penguin Whisperer
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VW Golf GTI (RIP The 'Bizta' VNVPVR Wagz)
Not all turbo cars are banned for P platers, stuff like Starions, Exa's, 180SX, Soarer, etc are all legal because they fall within the power to weight and capacity to weight ratios

Q

QLD Calais

Excuse me but if you loose control and wipe out, you will probably wipe out pasengers, pedestrians or people in other cars in the process. So it's clearly not a case of the consequences falling only on you.

Driving is a skill and like all skills grows with experience. People who have not been practicing a skill long do not have as much experience on which to base sound judgment. Do you think that after 1 year of guitar lessons you can get up on a stage and perform like Jimmy Hendrix. You won't hurt anyone with a guitar playing mistake but a mistake driving is potentially lethal to those around you. If you don't get that, I don't think you should be driving at all.

It's not these laws I'm commenting on, Its the attitude in the original post that seems to lack any appreciation that their actions effect others.

Ken

Look, if people want to go and do drifts and crash, there going to do it in ANY car.. What im talking about buddy is, these gay laws restricting us from driving our, perhaps, dream cars because there turbo or V8's.. What i was saying is just because some people choose to act stupid on the roads means that others who are sensible get kicked in the balls. Its Crazy! And you can loose control of ANY car. not just high powerd ones.. look @ the amount of exels and crap are at the wreckers.. And dont say "seems to lack any appreciation that their actions effect others" I am fully aware of my actions and condone any illegal activity on the roads.

Nobody Actually

luxo barge
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 wm Caprice
Look, if people want to go and do drifts and crash, there going to do it in ANY car.. What im talking about buddy is, these gay laws restricting us from driving our, perhaps, dream cars because there turbo or V8's.. What i was saying is just because some people choose to act stupid on the roads means that others who are sensible get kicked in the balls. Its Crazy! And you can loose control of ANY car. not just high powerd ones.. look @ the amount of exels and crap are at the wreckers.. And dont say "seems to lack any appreciation that their actions effect others" I am fully aware of my actions and condone any illegal activity on the roads.

sorry champ, but that last sentance..............not too bright