Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Lockdown Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nitro_X

Numbskull
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
Found this website, thought it might be of interest to some folks here...
916 deaths since March 1, 2020
covidlive

Two more Australians aged in their 40's have died from blood clots caused by the Astrazeneca vaccine.

I know the circumstances are different, ie: lockdowns, social distancing etc, but for interest, in 2019, influenza and pneumonia were the 9th leading cause of death in Australia, with 4,124 deaths.
Chronic lower respiratory diseases was the 5th leading cause of death in 2019, with 8,372 deaths.
ABS Stats

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
covidlive

Two more Australians aged in their 40's have died from blood clots caused by the Astrazeneca vaccine.

I know the circumstances are different, ie: lockdowns, social distancing etc, but for interest, in 2019, influenza and pneumonia were the 9th leading cause of death in Australia, with 4,124 deaths.
Chronic lower respiratory diseases was the 5th leading cause of death in 2019, with 8,372 deaths.
ABS Stats

I presume you are suggesting that Covid is no worse than the flu?

May I present a counter argument, excess mortality peaking over 100% in the UK last year. Something killed twice as many people as usual

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/excess-mortality-p-scores?country=BRA~GBR~USA~FRA

As has been said above, and elsewhere, humans had no resistance to new infectious strains. Vaccines have got rid of or reduced the impact of lots of diseases, influenza included

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Have heard similar to your stats NAAF. And like the others said, myself and most people I know are not overly concerned about catching Covid, or to put it another way they are happy to continue working and let nature take it's course however that plays out. That is also my view as I don't believe you can police a virus, or lockdown a modern city. City's like Sydney have been designed to ensure everyone is dependent on other people for many things, forcing trade and raising revenue for the government. Hence they have essentially been setup to fail the lockdown test.
So why are we being forced to sit here losing our income wasting our time and not allowed to visit family? Is it purely for the humanitarian idea of protecting the oldest and sickest members of the community? Looks like that to me. Bankrupting families is a heavy price to pay in the hope of achieving an unlikely result. Death comes to us all eventually, I don't think throwing everything else to the wind to avoid it is a good idea.

I think that your post perfectly sums up why Sydney is in for an extended lockdown, and/or it is going to continue to seed the delta variant to the rest of the country.

Other states have locked down hard (and fast) to deal with an outbreak, but in Sydney there seems to be an attitude of “it’s a bit inconvenient”.

I’m not having a go at you personally, but I have noticed a lot of complaining from Sydney about the ‘restrictive’ lockdowns, but in reality they haven’t yet experienced what a lockdown truely entails.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
covidlive

ABS Stats

This is why it's important to research how the data is grouped or it can be misleading. Note the links to pneumonia section below. Most ABS data comes with a 'disclaimer'. It always pays to use more than one source like health.gov.au to cross check your numbers. The ABS are aggregates. No data is perfect though

https://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]/Lookup/by Subject/3303.0~2017~Main Features~Deaths due to influenza~5

Then factor in the flu deaths from 2020 while we were all being vigilant, isolated and hygienic (37 with caveat) the flu pales to covid mortality. More to the point about 90% of those 919 occurred in one place from one set of events. Flu numbers are geographically disparate

https://www1.health.gov.au/internet...ile/National-Influenza-Season-Summary2020.pdf

Last edited:

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
I've been looking at a few past trends in relation to flu deaths vs covid deaths

From the CDC, in 2017, pretty bad year for the flu, there was "around" 600,000 deaths from the flu world wide, about 60,000 of those in the US alone here in Straya we had 2,400

We have had the covid thing going on for about a year and a half, or 18 months

That roughly equates to typically around a questimated 900,000 deaths from the flu for an 18 months period, based of historical data

Covid on the other hand has hit over 4 million deaths world wide for that 18 month period, the beginning of 2020 to July 2021, and there has been about 600,000 deaths in the US, and in Straya, just over 900

So, even if you remove the deaths from the flu, the additional deaths world wide is about 3,100,000, and the US had an addition 540,000

As for Australia, in 2017 we had over 2,400, if by chance we didn't shut borders and the rest, going off what happened in the US, we "could" be around 24,000 deaths from covid, possibly, my rough math wss from a covid death rate which is around 10 times greater than flu deaths over a 18 month period

Australia has been lucky, with our closures, shutdowns and requirement for masks, we have minimised both the spread of covid as well as the "normal" flu

If we didn't, going of the death toll from the US for one reference, we could easily be in a much worse place, over 24,000 deaths worse off, possibly

Whilst the closures and lockdowns are hard to live with, we are in fact saving alot of lives

This is the math that has people worried

The other concern in my ability to do math, but the historical data is there for everyone to see

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
… Is it purely for the humanitarian idea of protecting the oldest and sickest members of the community?
Yes, that’s why we call ourselves civilised… and why we have hospitals, old aged homes, laws, police, courts, taxes, representation, etc…

If we weren’t civilised we would be like the animals in a jungle, without laws, without police, without courts, without representation… and property rights simply wouldn’t exist so your cars could be in my garage :p and if you wanted my new car back, you’d have to pry it from my cold dead hands, else I’d be drinking from your skull :eek::p:p

Seriously, the above is way OTT but it should make the point. Living in a civilised society has lots of benefits for us all but also requires we are responsible in our actions. It’s a give and take where we all benefit as a whole… But I do wonder when the first civil suit will be made against someone negligently ignoring health advice and being the cause of a COVID shutdown. I’d not want to be the owner of a particular NSW removals & transport business atm. Such a suit would clarify our responsibilities to our fellow members of society ;)

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
busted getting coffee without a mask on sunday..... must have been essential

That's the least of her concerns.

Also, "critical" in NSW, not essential.

Can't be using the same terms as a Labor state.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
That's the least of her concerns.

Also, "critical" in NSW, not essential.

Can't be using the same terms as a Labor state.

… also, she didn’t use the term ‘lockdown’ when originally announcing the restrictions.

Talk about mixed messages! No wonder Sydneysiders don’t know what they supposed to do (and more to the point, what they’re not supposed to do)!

Status
Not open for further replies.