Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register
  1. Just Commodores will be taken down on the 19/06/2018 @ 9PM ACST, expected downtime is ~30 minutes.

This addresses a recently found hardware issue.

Dismiss Notice

the looser >.<

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by V3N0M, Jul 27, 2006.

1. V3N0M

V3N0M New Member

Members Ride:
    01 magna exec
    took my car to a mates place the other day to get him to give me a hand to take the steering wheel off.. the 1st thing he did was hit the center nut.. pretty hard to.. i went off at him but he did it a few more time not quite as hard tho.. could he have damaged it? car isnt running atm.. doing stuff to engine.. im worried now cause i hurd to never hit the centre nut thing-o-me-bob... grrrrr...

Last edited: Jul 28, 2006
  2. vlv8vic

vlv8vic <---Brad Quaid = internet stalker

Members Ride:
    M5
    yes the "loser" could have done quite a bit of damage to the collapsable column.
    put it all back together, one of the first problems you may notice is the steering lock sometimes doesnt engage or rubs. various othwe problems. keep this mate away from your car i suggest.

3. V3N0M

V3N0M New Member

Members Ride:
    01 magna exec
    yeah i dont think i will be speaking to him for a while.. i think he did it diliberatly but i cant prove it... *hes more of an aquantence* cant spell lol.. said he knew a bit about cars and i have nown him *not personally* for about a year.. and being out in the middle of noware dont have to much of a choice :p.. i hope he didnt do anything serious.. i cant aford to get it fixed lol.. thanks heaps.. ill try have a look 2moro.. anything i should look for? or will i only notice it in the steering when driving?

again thanks.

4. Tasmaniak

Tasmaniak Not a valid input....

Members Ride:
    VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
    To be perfectly honest thats the way I have always removed steering wheels.

Take the the nut off and spin it so it is half way off the thread then get my knees behind the wheel and pull it towards me whilst giving the the nut love taps.

5. V3N0M

V3N0M New Member

Members Ride:
    01 magna exec
    yeah tappin it probly wouldnt hurt.. but this guy gave it an all mighty wack lmao.. owell i spose if worst comes to worst i should be able to replace it with the one in my old vb :p

6. Bax

Bax Projecting

Members Ride:
    Nothing
    gemfields, i was cruising around that way the other day, i should have come and given you a hand.

yeah i just loosen the nut so its barely on, then grab it like your driving normally, push off with your feet and pull as hard as you can, wriggling it from side to side until finally it pops. it takes alot of encouragement, but you get there in the end.

7. V3N0M

V3N0M New Member

Members Ride:
    01 magna exec
    lol yeah i got it off FINALLY!!! now all im worried about is if john *guy that i went and saw* did anything to the steering collum by hittin it as hard as he did lol.. ahwell lol.. all i need to do now is tranfer the auto trans from my vb into my vh.. which currently has a 4spd manual in it.. i was told it wasnt hard to do so we will see :p.. anyways thanks guys!

8. Troy711

Troy711 Retired Old Fart Staff Member

Members Ride:
    2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
    just dont do what one of my dads mates did when he was younger.. he pulled the wheel as someone else hit the back of it. he was lucky to not have a broken nose

9. Streetvision

Streetvision Scar-Non

Members Ride:
    VP Commodore
    AHAHAHAHAHAHA sorry :whistling

10. vlv8vic

vlv8vic <---Brad Quaid = internet stalker

Members Ride:
    M5
    shouldnt ever hit the centre. some older cars will take it but nothing with collapsable column (not sure when they came in though). i got a puller tool for about $10 a while ago. makes the job so much safer and easier.

11. minux

minux Infidel Bear

Members Ride:
    300rwkw FG G6ET/Specialized Tarmac SL4
    I was about to say that, makes life very easy. Makes me wonder why people don't simpyl buy these things.

12. Wombat

Wombat New Member

Members Ride:
    VX-II Lumina Sedan
    You beat me to it...yes, never ever take the nut all the way off and then lean forward in the drivers seat while smacking the steering wheel from behind...did that when I was sixteen, and learned the hard and painful and bloody way not to damn well do that again...:cry:

13. nomad

nomad New Member

Members Ride:
    VR Berlina wagon & '83 Toyota Troopy diesel
    I suspect 2 reasons.

Either...
    1. They are in too much of a hurry to do the job, & couldn't be bothered to go buy one.

2. They don't want to buy one as they know they will hardly ever use it, & think they are wasting money it they do so.

Me. If I have ever needed the right tool to do a job, I've either bought or made it. Heating up & bending spanners to get into awkward spots does wonders for keeping your cool. :thumbsup:

I've still got the original spanner set I bought over 30 years ago, but not used for a long time. In fact, as well as the tool kit I carry in the car, I've got 6 multi-drawer tool boxes full of tools (all types) in the spare bed room wardrobe. Most of these tools I haven't used for 15 years or more, but I wouldn't think of getting rid of them. You never know when one or more of them might just come in handy one day. :D