Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Missus New Daily

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Hey all,

We just purchased a new car for the missus so I thought I'd make a bit of a thread about it.

attachment.php

Ok, so she's fairly much stock as a rock (or so I thought) including factory 17" rims. The only mods I know off are factory FE2 springs fitted and a double din JVC head unit by the last owner.

So it's VX series II Calais L67 with all the options.

The missus liked the look of it but wasn't happy with the standard throttle response so that was the first issue to fix. This afternoon I fitted a 69mm TB, did a quick tune to suit (mod'd shift points and line pressures etc) pulled the PCM out and I discover an aftermarket memcal which has a HSV VX XU6 tune on it.

Plans for the car are fairly simple, it's going to be the work horse so reliability is the main concern. At this stage there is not intention to lower it or fit big wheels with low profile tyres (it's currently running 225/50/17's) as the current ride is fairly compliant, nothing in the car interior rattles and I want to keep it that way :) I may even go back to a 16" rim so I can run a larger side profile tyre since we have such crap roads here in NZ :(

The engine will probably cop a few mods although most are for reliability and economy. To that end I have already ordered a new CAI and some intake gaskets (these need doing but are the only major mechanical issue I can see and normal for this age and mileage). Going to run a 180° thermostat, fit my 1.9 high ratio rockers and then tune it all up suit. That will fairly much take care motivation for now.

Going to leave the transmission alone, the previous owner had it serviced not long ago, put in fully synthetic transmission fluid, the box shifts well, doesn't make any strange noises etc so the plan is to just look after it. The only addition will be a large external transmission fluid cooler.

Brakes are really good. The previous owner had Bendix Ultimates fitted but wasn't happy with them (to much dust), he then fitted some ceramic type pads from a local outfit (I think he said they were BNT inhouse brand) and in his opinion are as good as the Bendix pads but without the dust or cost. I agree, they work really well, the pedal is very firm and the car pulls up very well so nothing that needs doing there any time soon :)

I'm going to source a M80 3.46 LSD diff ( standard LS1 manual diff) as I can see traction been an issue. The diff ratio change will also help get the revs up a few hundred RPM. Generally speaking, when your cruising your off boost, so in reality your really just driving a low compression Ecotec. Previous experience shows that a small ratio change has not effected fuel economy at all (in fact it's improved in my opinion) because the engine isn't labouring at low revs under load when cruising at motorway speeds.

That's all for now. Down the road it may cop a boost increase and some sort of intercooling, probably W2A as well as porting the blower housing and LIM to suit. There are also some other mods I'm considering but I'll see where things take me. I also still need to built a new carport/deck at home so the vehicles are sheltered from the changeable weather we see here in NZ.

Attachments

• IMG_1315.jpg
    IMG_1315.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 1,228

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
The missus drove the new and improved version of the Calais to work this morning. To quote,

"The car is a lot faster, it is just how it should be,"

Can't complain with that sort of sentiment.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Nice one , I like the shape of the VX , and the Calais models look the goods . has it got the full leather trim ? .

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers mate,

Yep, full leather (grey), dual climate air control etc

Demonica

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS clubsport
Even the missus appreciates your mad skills :p

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
Nice car and you are clearly very handy with the tools and knowledge!

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers guys.

I'm just a tinkerer really......

Just debating whether or not I should port the LIM and blower housing when I take em off to do the intake gaskets. Figure it should only take a couple of hours If I do it on he mill at work rather then using the die grinder at home.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Yay you made a build thread on it!!

Cheers guys.

I'm just a tinkerer really......

Just debating whether or not I should port the LIM and blower housing when I take em off to do the intake gaskets. Figure it should only take a couple of hours If I do it on he mill at work rather then using the die grinder at home.

You would be mad not to :poke:
All in the name of economy and efficiency of course

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah, cheers mate.

I have another mod to add the the list. I'm going to fit a MAT sensor in the LIM so that we can tune it to the actual inlet temp after the blower rather then what is happening in the airbox (which isn't really relevant on a blown engine).