Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Missus New Daily

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Headlights arrived today. hopefully get em fitted over the weekend.

Fingers crossed I'll also have a complete 3.46 LSD diff shortly :)

beaker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais
Headlights arrived today. hopefully get em fitted over the weekend.

Fingers crossed I'll also have a complete 3.46 LSD diff shortly :)

cool. did you go for the black ones?
that's a great diff upgrade for a dailey A4 IMO. when I had a 3.46 on mine it was far more spritely off the lights, without high open road revs or destroying fuel econ. awesome fun.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah, the black ones.

TBH, I think Holden stuffed up with the diff ratio for the V6 A4 cars. The Getrag manual equipped V6's have a shorter 5th gear ratio (0.81) which when coupled with the standard 3.07 diff ratio is almost identical to an V6 A4 fitted with 3.46 diff ratio. The manual equipped cars were more fuel efficient even though they rev just over 2000rpm @ 100km/h and not even considering the "fun" factor.

Just need to convince the missus it's a good idea.

I'll get some pics up once I finish night shift.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Bad news

Well, today it breaks my heart to say...... nope, I'm not doing an April fools joke like Stealthy did many years ago (it was the best April fools ever) but today I discovered that the car is indeed fitted with LSD diff (even though the option code on the build plate says Axle:GU4) however sadly it is single pegging and I can spin one rear wheel with the other on the ground :(

It also appears that the rear rubber doughnut coupling seems to be in a decent condition which is unexpected with the current clunk when dropping it into reverse with the brake applied. This makes me believe that the issue with this car is the rear diff mount going by the amount the rear squats when dropping the car into gear with the brakes applied as well as the (very) tired LSD centre.

beaker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais
Re: single spinner... have you tried replacing the diff gear oil?
that was enough to fix my Calais when it started one wheeling. I don't know if it had ever been changed prior to that. after fresh oil.. it lit up both wheels like it should :)

good that your doughnut is ok, they're pretty expensive.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I'll try the oil but I'm not certain it will fix it. When I had the rear wheels up with the transmission in Park one wheel was solid and wouldn't turn at all just like I would expect with a good LSD but the the other wheel would move a little almost like it was taking up the play in the diff centre spider gears. That would possibly suggest that the cone on that side is either worn out or it's broken.

When I pulled out of the bakery that day it made a very loud "bang" type noise when the traction control kicked in hard, I wonder if it broke something in the diff centre?

Might be time to go and have a chat with Tony @ Steelie gears.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Spent some more time playing with the diff. With the rear of the car in the air and the transmission in park (hand brake off), the drivers side wheel does not turn however the passenger side does a bit which is a clear indication that the cone inside the LSD is worn on the passenger side and the movement is the backlash been taken out of the spider gears.

Went to Steelie Gears and had a chat with Tony. he's fairly confident that it's fixable, however the M80 LSD is a bit different internally compared to it's smaller M78 brother. In the M80 the gear and friction cone are a single item and can't be shimmed up unlike the M78 where the cone and gear are separate. No worries though, if the cone or carries is to badly worn what he does is destroy the original cone to remove the gear, he than uses a new cone for an M78 and can then happily shim it up better then new.

Explained it to the missus that diff needs a rebuild and she's not totally upset with me, now I just need to slip in a new set of gears with the LSD centre rebuild and were laughing.

Just got to pull the diff out and drop it around and he'll get it sorted.

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
3.7 or 3.9! just tell the missus its the rebuilt original diff. Just feels better on take off.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Not much happening of late, just a few minor adjustments.

Out with the old, in with the new... Gone from a twin 2" into single 2.5" to full twin system, 2.25" stepped to 2"
attachment.php

Also thrown on a 3.4" pulley
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2143_1.jpg
    IMG_2143_1.jpg
    415.6 KB · Views: 788
  • IMG_2146_1.jpg
    IMG_2146_1.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 588

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Update: I think I like it, it's growing on me. Now you know it's got an exhaust on it. You don't notice it at all when cruising but give it a little bit and it wakes up with a noticeable rumble.

Not bad for a stock factory V8 system as an upgrade for the V6 :)