Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The monkeys at JB Hi-FI

raZel

The ride for life
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V - V8
Hey fellas,
on monday (yesterday) i had my sound system installed at JB... i was pushed by my dad to have it done "properly"... well i can say this, it was done far from that...
They installed, a basic pioneer head unit, pioneer splits in the front, some 6x9's in the back, an amp and sub...Everything was already mine except for the splits.

for a start i pulled up my back seat last night and there a cables EVERYWHERE, my speaker cables, RCA's and remote are jst lying underneath the back seat, my power cable in the bonet is not in black tubing and is also badly cable tied to my ABS and jst running through the fire wall... the amp has been installed on the back of the rear passenger, drivers side seat... when i open my centre console in the back seat from the inside of the car you can see the amp hanging over by around an inch and a half. and the RCA's from the amp are jst pushed down the back of the amp and under the seat... And this is only the problems visualy!!!!!

As for the sound, apart from the shitty whistling sound and buzzing coming out of the front speakers isn't tooooo bad. could be better... BUT when i rolled out, i didn't even get outta the car park when i noticed the buzzing and wierd sounds from the speakers, i took it back in straight away and asked wat it was. He tried to tell me my amp was shotty. I told him that i have never had a single problem with it, and if it was my amp my sub would be doing it as well. so he then pushed the blame onto my head unit, hoping that i would jst believe that i needed to buy a new one from him. He blamed everything that was mine except the new speakers and maybe himself for doing such a **** house job. If i didn't pay to have it done i wouldn't be taking it back to allow him to TRY and fix what he did! next time i would be going somewhere else! JB HIFI YOU WILL NEVER GET MY BUSINESS AGAIN. i am one very un happy customer!

raZel

raZel

The ride for life
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V - V8
Sorry, i should have added my question...

What things culd cause these sounds coming from the speakers?

cheers
raZel :thumbsup:

fourstar82

Head Chef Honcho
Reaction score
Website
s31.photobucket.com
Members Ride
VYII 25th Anniversary, 2007 VE Calais
The main reason will probably be because the amp cable and the speaker wiring are running along side each other.

Andy

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
At a guess - bad connections, soldering, running power alongside RCA's...

Rmyers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EA falcon
Check your earthing has been done properly, this will usually cause interferance if done dodgey...

jack.mc

Nothing witty to say :(
Reaction score
Website
www.jacks-lounge.com
Members Ride
VN Vacationer
yeah, JB have a pretty bad record on here. The only thing they're good for are dirt cheap prices after bargaining. I'd check if the power cable is running next to the rcas

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
fourstar82 said:
The main reason will probably be because the amp cable and the speaker wiring are running along side each other.

Andy
Speaker wires are fine near power wires as they're high voltage and any induced noise will not be audible. RCA's are the ones that should not be run near power.

But anyway, since you have a Pioneer head unit, it is common for the RCA ground to blow if the installer unplugs or plugs the RCA's in while the system has power or is running. If you want to check for that fault, you need to pull the head unit out, unplug the RCA's (make sure you label them so you know where they go back in) then measure the continuity from the head unit chassis to the outer ring of the RCA sockets on the head unit. They are both meant to be ground so they should be short circuit.

Did you pay for the install? If so, take it back and tell them to fix it. If you didn't pay, do what I said above and if it's faulty take it in to them and tell them to have it fixed as their expense.

raZel

The ride for life
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V - V8
StoneX said:
then measure the continuity from the head unit chassis to the outer ring of the RCA sockets on the head unit. They are both meant to be ground so they should be short circuit.quote]

i dont understand??
what do i need to measure? and what should be grounding? lol
Cheers
raZel :thumbsup:

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Do you have a multimeter? If so, it has a continuity function (logo has horizontal line with arrow pointing to right and a vertical line crossing in front of the triangle) that beeps when you touch the probes together. You want to use that or resistance test (logo is Omega symbol).

You need to unplug the head unit, it's best to unplug everything, loom, RCA's antenna, etc.

Then you just put one probe on the head unit's shell, the metal casing, then the other probe onto the outside of one of the RCA sockets on the back of the head unit. RCA's sockets have the centre hole and the outer ring, you want to touch the outer ring as this is the ground connection.

If you use continuity test, make sure you test that it beeps when probes touch each other first. Then if it beeps on continuity test, it is not busted, if it doesn't beep, the RCA ground is damaged inside the head unit.

If you use resistance test, it should measure between 0 and 1 ohm, maybe around 1 ohm if it is not broken. If it is broken, the multimeter won't change from not touching it to touching it.

Hope that makes sense.

Oh, just thought of an easier test... With everything plugged in, get a bit of wire, strip the ends, touch one end to the chassis/case/shell touch the other end to the outer ring of the RCA's while they are plugged in... Turn stereo/car on and see if noise is there. Take wire off, does it come back? If so, it's the RCA ground in the head unit.