Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The monkeys at JB Hi-FI

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Yeah, it's illegal to cut the meta lshelf on anything after 1973, as far as I know. For your car to be legally roadworthy again, you'd need it rewelded back in and have an engineer assess it.

Jeff T

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
Holy crap! Now that's dodgy!

If you've still got the receipt I'd be going back there for some form of compensation. Trouble is it's going to be hard to prove, and they can just deny it.

A friend of mine had some reasonably expensive speakers broken (cracked basket) by the tools at Lifestyle, they simply denied having done it and how can you prove that it was them?

Try your best to have them fix that or get suitable compensation. I wish you luck!

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
vystorm_adel said:
Thankfully I don't think the few JB stores we have here in SA do onsite installations (correct me if i'm wrong).

hehe you are wrong. JB Hi-Fi at Modbury do on site installations. I've had friends go there and I went there myself for a few things and they havent steered me wrong, so far. Dont get me wrong though I wouldnt trust them with anything major. Just small things like replacing automatic aerials or headunits. I install all my speakers and amps myself because I wouldnt want them doing that sorta stuff.

Strathfield are the biggest idiots here i reckon. I took my car there to have some power cabling replaced (i had 8 guage from the battery to the fuse then 4 guage from the fuse to the amps). Now obviously its a waste having that 4 guage because its only gonna get as much power as the 8 guage cable can suck from the battery....so i asked them to replace the 30cm of 8 guage wire as my sound system was cutting out after having new 6x9's and 4 inch installed.

They fiddled with the amps and re-did all the grounding and charged me $80....for stuff i did not ask for.

I get in my car and put turn the bass up on the amp back to where it was....and its doin the exact same thing....i go in and tell them to replace the power cable "oh but we dont keep it on rolls out the back. if you want some u will have to buy 5m of it)"....i told them where to stick it, went across the road and bought 30cm of 4 guage cable from JB and replaced the cable in the carpark, parked my car out the front of Strathfields doors, turned my system right up and went inside and told them wat i thought of them.

Brycestro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
i'd be pissed off if they unroadworthied my ride like that. someone's gotta pay for that mistake and it shouldn't be you.

Henerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL SL 5spd
Which JB HiFi was this?

It was left messy probably because they had to do it quick and return the car perhaps? Cuz I've done a few car audio installations myself and it takes alot of time to get everything neat and perfect.

But yeh I've never given my car to JB or anyone else, always D.I.Y :) much better and it isn't too hard, it's not like those JB guys have a degree in Car Audio...they can do it, you can do it too

VQXTC

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VP Senator, VY SS Crewman
Power Cable.....

1991_Vn2nV said:
didnt you give them instructions on where/how to mount the amp etc?

also does anyone here actually have their power cable running inside black tubing? I dont think i know any1 that does.

Whenever I do a job I always wrap the power cable in the engine bay in black conduit and under the back seat and cable tie securely....cheers

Lets work as a TEAM and do it MY WAY!! :w00t:

VQXTC

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VP Senator, VY SS Crewman
1991_Vn2nV said:
Strathfield are the biggest idiots here i reckon. I took my car there to have some power cabling replaced (i had 8 guage from the battery to the fuse then 4 guage from the fuse to the amps). Now obviously its a waste having that 4 guage because its only gonna get as much power as the 8 guage cable can suck from the battery....so i asked them to replace the 30cm of 8 guage wire as my sound system was cutting out after having new 6x9's and 4 inch installed.

They fiddled with the amps and re-did all the grounding and charged me $80....for stuff i did not ask for.

I get in my car and put turn the bass up on the amp back to where it was....and its doin the exact same thing....i go in and tell them to replace the power cable "oh but we dont keep it on rolls out the back. if you want some u will have to buy 5m of it)"....i told them where to stick it, went across the road and bought 30cm of 4 guage cable from JB and replaced the cable in the carpark, parked my car out the front of Strathfields doors, turned my system right up and went inside and told them wat i thought of them.

I have had stuff done by Strathfield before and never had a problem....

I guess not every place is the same.....

Lets work as a TEAM and do it MY WAY!! :w00t: