Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MR VXS2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZS2 Dual Fuel Wagon
OMFG....

For over a month now, Ive been chasing this noise. Every time I turn left, but more so to the right, I would get this little tap, or knock sound from the front of the car, underneath or near my feet. Wouldn't do it while sitting still, even when turning the wheels from lock to lock, but whenever I was going around a corner, or rolling at slow speeds turning into a driveway, or just steering hard left to right (swerving) the knock/tap noise arose.. Sometimes, it was like I could even feel it coming through the floor pan, near or underneath the dash right where the power steering rack and transmission sit...

I replaced the following parts.....

Sway bar link pins & rubbers.
Castor rod bushes.
Sway bar bushes.
Front shocks, strut tower bearings and bushes.
Coil spring dampener
Lower control arms completely with new ones

And finally after all of the above, the power steering rack, tie rods and ball joints as well.

So, you can imagine, just how pissed off I was when I took it for another drive, only to hear the dreaded noise again. At this point, I thought, right, time to jack it up and tighten everything I see with a torque wrench underneath the front of the car. Sub frame bolts, the whole lot (Should've done this first before anything I know) Engine mounts were a little loose, but not overly bad in any way... So I thought, you beauty, that has to be it...

No, it wasnt, at which point I felt like crying to be honest with you all. lol

And so, finally after all the parts, money, time and effort, I tightened the one part underneath the front of the car which I hadn't really thought about...and overlooked.

If you come across the sound I am talking about, you'll feel it underneath your left foot on the floor pan when turning around corners and into driveways....

You need to check the 4 nuts on both sides of the brackets in the pic below, located at the base of the front firewall, either side of the engine bay (Anyone know their proper name?)

Mine where that loose, they made a kings cross hooker look tight, lol

Anyway, we've all been through this at some point in time, chasing noises... I hope this helps someone out and saves them some money and a lot of stress... lol

I bet if most of you checked them anyway, regardless of noise, youd find they are not super tight, not like they should be***

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    360 KB · Views: 9,879
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    385.8 KB · Views: 10,331
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    400.2 KB · Views: 9,362
Last edited:

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
i will be looking into that
my daughters vxii has a small knock when breaking ,
doesn't do it with gentle breaking or heavy breaking only normal breaking
and like you i have replaced nearly everything in the front end

MR VXS2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZS2 Dual Fuel Wagon
Mate, what a headache, lol.
I tried so many things, luckily most of it needed replacement anyway, shocks,balljoints,bushes etc..

But honestly, It had me beat right to the very end. Id almost bet you $50 they aren't tight, lol...

MR VXS2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZS2 Dual Fuel Wagon
I was suprised at how loose they where, even though they looked tight and there was no signs of any movement there.

What a pain in the ass that was...lol

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
i hope its that easy
i have just learnt to accept it
lucky she has stereo so loud she cant hear it

MR VXS2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZS2 Dual Fuel Wagon
Let us know how you go, come back and post whatever it turns out to be, okay.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
sure

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
I had the same noise in my Ute. Chased it like you for ages. Only appeared when your rolling and rocked the wheel from side to side.
Sold the car before i found it. Never thought to check those brackets tbh! I had them come loose on the Monaro and that gave a tap feeling under your left foot but i never got that feeling in the ute!

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
I love it when you find a fix for a problem that has been driving you crazy . Its better than sex ( from what i can remember ) . At least the front end will handle like new with all the new parts .