Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The new SS-Z series... Anyone had hands on with them yet?

FirstVL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS.II Commodore Executive
That's also something I thought of.
With the VF launch, is there any word that I may not have seen to show when next year it might be launched? Like which quarter?
Don't know if I want to wait another year for my first V8 :p
There's nothing official from Holden, but I've heard August 2013 mentioned as a release date. I think this might be based on the VF being "MY14" and Holden generally release their subsequent model year vehicles around this time. The Melbourne Motor Show will be June 27 to July 7, but that seems a bit soon.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
There's nothing official from Holden, but I've heard August 2013 mentioned as a release date. I think this might be based on the VF being "MY14" and Holden generally release their subsequent model year vehicles around this time. The Melbourne Motor Show will be June 27 to July 7, but that seems a bit soon.

Was August 2013 but has been bought forward to 2'nd quarter.

Reaper

Big_Simmo

Deep Blue Cranberry
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Series 2 SSV Redline Ute

I was out at one of the bigger dealerships in Perth yesterday and was talking with the owner of the place about the HDT VC RETRO he had in stock, it then went onto the VF. He told me that they will be on the showroom floor in March

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
Same idea - they are all just parts bin upgrades.

Agreed

Once people realised that "Special Editions" can be worth something in 40+ years, it seems that EVERYTHING is now a collectable with X number made.

Even dealerships are doing this....drives me mental!!

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Agreed

Once people realised that "Special Editions" can be worth something in 40+ years, it seems that EVERYTHING is now a collectable with X number made.

Even dealerships are doing this....drives me mental!!

They are nothing new. Been going on for 40+ years. Holden started with "SS" package on a base model HQ with some wheels, sports dash & stripes back in the early 70's. Before that there was the "Brabham" HB Torana. They also banged on some hubcaps, sports dash & paint for the "G-Pack" LH Toranas. Sandman panel vans were the same, as were the Vacationer HZ's & Commodores. There was also the LE Monaro to get rid of a heap of HQ Monaro shells that were left over. It was nothing more than a GM parts bin special, raiding the statesman for the interior etc and getting some wheels from Pontiac in NA. More recently they have used the Lumina, International and "Z" suffix badgework. Some dealers ran a SLR5000 version of the SS during the VS (?) series. In most cases they are just a ploy by the manufacturer to keep volumes going at the end of a model run.

Some do end up being worth a bit over time - the LE's & sandman vans bring a good $ these days, as do the SS HQ's. As I mentioned above, the VZ SV-Z's seem to bring good money compared to similar VZ series cars. Weather this continues into the future is really anybodies guess.

Reaper

Darren D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Z-Series 6M Sedan
They are a parts bin special but the current savings are too good to wait for the VF for me.

I work for a company that offers employees the ability to get a vehicle on a Novated Lease, whilst the tax advantage is minimal the fleet discount and GST savings make the buy very good for the VE SS Z Series as it comes in under the luxury car tax.

I have a manual on order, and will end up paying just over $36K for it over 12 months.

If I waited for the VF, which I was doing, there is no way I would get such a fleet discount from GMH.

Darren

Darren D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Z-Series 6M Sedan
Still waiting for delivery.
:(

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
Any ups or downs???
What's the deal... I saw them on the net and went to check at Holden today and they look amazing...
Just want to see if anyone knows if there is a reason to NOT get one.

They look amazing? How do they look different to say the MY12 SS besides having thunder wheels (which were a parts bin thing themself)

if holden follows it's trend, it'll be a VZ to a VY or a VX to a VT. Just mild physical cosmetic changes, i remember reading somewhere that it'll appear unchanged but under the skin it'll be a new tech filled car

I'd be a little wary of Holdens new 'technology' - how many people have had drama with their iQ - many if not most of them, including myself, still have warranty issues outstanding that Holden seems to have NFI how to resolve, and its just a radio! How many people are going to be pissed when these new tech filled VF's come out and the electronics start failing. If they still can't fix the warranty issues with the existing technology they have, I would seriously think twice about buying anything with even more electronics in it from them.

What you see at the motor show isnt necessarily what you get, can anyone see what I mean by this after watching this vid of the VE being launched in Sydney in 2006:

Last edited by a moderator:

thunder828

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Z Series My12.5
Don't like the VF look. VEs are the go just upgraded my 2011 SV6 Thunder to a SSV Z series ute. It has a few nice features like subs (11 speakers), full leather seats, brembo front brake, sports steering wheel like the HSV maloo, clubby etc, all at a great price I think. Just one more week now till I get my Alchemy SSV Zseries ute.

mshagg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series Ute
Still waiting for delivery.
:(

I picked up my SSV-Z ute from the stealership last week, ordered at the end of August... so... about 7 weeks?

Only option was the prestige paint or whatever they call it (perfect blue colour).