Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The new work hack

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Well, the green SS has been sold to make way for this new VF SSV that I picked up on Saturday. So far, the verdict is - loving it. Haven't had too much of a chance to drive it yet but the interior design and feel of all the touch surfaces are streets ahead of what I stepped out of. Seating is similar, but the subtle changes are noticeable. Deeper bolsters, added shoulder support and softer leather than VE make for a comfy and supportive ride. The new wheel is nicely padded and significantly thicker than what was in the SS - It would fit in between VE SSV and E3 HSV steering wheels in terms of feel. Shift action is tighter and more accurate, which is a big plus and the dash layout, construction and material is quite nice. Obviously, cash was saved in the areas that are generally out of reach - forward section of the dash, door pockets, behind the seats, B pillars, etc - but the whole cabin FEELS more solid, including switchgear. Whether it is or not remains to be seen but initial thoughts are positive.

Road noise is massively reduced which is fantastic, but so too is engine noise, so that will be missed. It's crying for an aftermarket exhaust of some kind. I'm liking the My Link info screen - gadgets have never been a big thing for me but I like how this works and the standard sound is improved, if still built to a price. Have to say that sat nav is still not up to the standard of my portable tom tom unit (which is sensational to use) but the screen in the car is massive and no doubt I'll get used to it. Paler fabric used in the roof lining makes the cabin feel lighter and larger and the deletion of the broken elbow hand brake in favour of an electric brake is brilliant.

Steering feel with the electric steer is numb but sharp and accurate - quality of that is well above the price bracket. Self park feature is something I'll probably never use but I guess it's handy to have. Rear camera is nice and clear but missing guide lines, which can come in handy at times. Also liking the blind spot indicators as the utes have massive blind spots.

The to do list is just made up of the basics. Ride height needs to head south a bit, needs to be a little more noise and tint - It's been a long time since I've owned a car without tint and I'm missing it already! Booked in tomorrow for Suntek 35% carbon film. No big plans for this, just need it for a comfortable, reliable work ute that I can have a bit of fun with on days off. Oh.. and the chrome will have to go, as will the stainless accents inside. Don't want black, but something a little different that still gives a little depth. The interior stainless trim throws off some gnarly reflections in full sun, so will just go with a brushed titanium vinyl or similar.

One negative that I've noticed, seemingly across the VF range - they're painted really badly! Huge amounts of peel and far more dust nibs than should be accepted. The upside of that is there is a very healthy amount of clear on the car - a consistent 60-70 microns of clear (150+ microns total thickness) across the car. So sanding the peel out shouldn't pose much of a problem if I ever get the time to do it!

DSCF4603_zps5dd999a6.jpg

DSCF4602_zps9d26563e.jpg

DSCF4601_zpsa3820c59.jpg

DSCF4597_zpsc8256157.jpg

DSCF4591_zps3f53d784.jpg

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 NT Pajero Exceed, 1984 VK SL
Nice one Tinny. What are your plans for the bodywork, apart from the already mentioned sanding?

jimmygrussell

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV REDLINE
Looks awesome mate, love the color!

Did you say it was a SSV Redline??

Like ABoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
Nice ute mate! Actually love that colour too! So relaxed now tho, thought it was just our wagon that had pretty bad peel in it :/ being black it is very very noticeable

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
FYI, the VF exhaust is the same as the VE. If you want a Manta, hit me up.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Nice one Tinny. What are your plans for the bodywork, apart from the already mentioned sanding?

I'll most likely sand to remove the peel as I said, which normally removes in the vicinity of 10-15 microns. I'll put some of that coating thickness back on with a few layers of my ceramic coating, which will make living with it nice and easy too.

The chrome is going to go but I don't want the phantom replacement parts that are an OE option. I'll go with a vinyl wrap - hoping to make an appointment with Carbon Demon next week to suss out some samples. All the trim is quite deep, so making it black loses a lot of the visual details and depth, something lighter and probably still a bit metallic will keep that without being garishly chrome. Also, when the grille surrounds are black, they just blend into the rest of the grille and look way too big. I think there needs to be some contrast, but I hate chrome.

Won't really need much more than that. Low peel or peel free paint looks insane in it's own right, so I'll let that be the feature. I'll have business signage on the back window in 50% vinyl and a similar windscreen strip to what was on the green one but that will be about it.

Nice ute mate! Actually love that colour too! So relaxed now tho, thought it was just our wagon that had pretty bad peel in it :/ being black it is very very noticeable

I know what you mean. All the VFs I have seen in every dealership I've been in have been painted poorly.. big and very obvious peel. The cruzes seem to be worse again. It's good to have the healthy paint readings - there really is quite a lot of paint on there for a new car - most are getting thinner but there is a lot more paint on there than what was on VE - which does go some way to explaining the peel. The problem with that is that the average car owner isn't going to go and wet sand the hell out of their new car - and there's not a big market for it here to have it done professionally. I have done a few full car sands but it's not very common and it's certainly not cheap!!

FYI, the VF exhaust is the same as the VE. If you want a Manta, hit me up.

I do, and I will! The GST coming back from the car will cover the things I want ;)

Tint was installed today. Very professional job from Castle Hill Prestige and Custom - Definitely check them out if you're local. The edges are nicely burnished and fit is seamless. Adhesive is still very wet but will take pics when it's had time to dry. Suntek 35% Carbon film is a nice black colour and not very reflective. I'll miss the 15% from the VE but metal tint wouldn't have suited this colour and then there's the legal peace of mind that comes with 35%. My luck is something that is not to be pushed! lol

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Just a couple of pics of the tint. I am missing the old 15% - but fortunately only from a cosmetic point of view. In terms of heat reduction and the like, I've noticed no difference, so the better quality film is living up to its reputation.

I am really impressed with the installation. The film fit is flawless and perfectly bevelled

DSCF4658_zps3a72e92a.jpg

DSCF4655_zpsef286455.jpg

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
I like the bump in the hood.
Nice colour pick Tinny

toey@carfx

Detailing Junkie
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
2007 wm caprice
don't put off getting into the paint Langdon. do what I do when I polish the big girl, work one panel at a time, come home from night shift and correct a guard, do the next panel another day. over say 2 weeks you should have it all sliced back and corrected.

btw it looks sweet but yes it needs more low!!