Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The next step... ENGINE MODIFICATION!!!!

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
AirStrike said:
230kw from a SC14................
Just put a 5.0lt in. Mine made 143.5rwkw with minimal mods and needing a service. They can be had cheap and dont need to change alot to fit it in.
AirStrike :air:
That would be sweet and sound hot to:).. But i get a frill out of a fast V6 more then a fast V8 it's like David and Goliath the underdog:D.

VNPOWER

Reaction score
Members Ride
My00 Wrx 240kwatw
waste of money... If you want to go quick for **** all money you're better off getting a VL turbo and doing some mods to that.

Doing up a Vn is just a complete waste of money in my opinion, because at the end of the day when you go to sell it, you will get nothing for it. unless you got a decent flow of cash coming in i wouldnt bother.

Save up for a newer better car that will last.

cheers

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
VNPOWER said:
waste of money... If you want to go quick for **** all money you're better off getting a VL turbo and doing some mods to that.

Doing up a Vn is just a complete waste of money in my opinion, because at the end of the day when you go to sell it, you will get nothing for it. unless you got a decent flow of cash coming in i wouldnt bother.

cheers

*sigh* i didnt get a VN because money was a issue, if i wanted a new car i would have brought a newer car??? i had $8000 when i got my vn.........
i had the chance to get a VS, i nearly brought it but i wanted a vn
i like the syling of the vn and i WOULDNT modify a car just to sell it.... im keeping this car for ever or untill its written off

better newer car???? not all newer cars are better in my opinion i like the vn, at the end of the day i wouldnt get anything newer to do up becuase to be perfectly honost, the newer cars HAVE NOTHING TO DO TO THEM, they come with a bodykit, rims everything you'd want, so any upgrade you make looks pissy

id have to agree a v8 would be nice, id love to have a LS1 in this car, and break 300 @ the fly with just a retune
but my pockets arnt that deep,

how much would that turbo setup cost?? id be intrested in the manifold/downpipe, has it got a external wastegate piping?
can u find out prices on the manifold and downpipe nothing else first???

im seriously considering a sc14 setup, sure its limited but i like the idea the supercharger not actually being bolted to the inlet manifold
then i can decide what i want to do when i have more cash flow, that then gives me time to do the intercooler setup because this car WILL be boosted just depends if its a 3800 or 5700 or even 5000

sc14 setup should cost me under $1000 with me doing the labour, wont touch the engine interals, still not %100 i know what i want to do with the engine, need more time to decide what i want, but for the meantime i need more power at the moment im probbly laying down 100-105rwkw with advanced spark, with the new rims dont get ANY wheelspin so i get a good take off, providing the surface is good

ive also gotta think about the future, im currently studying as a student, got 1 year left then i get kicked outta home, but luckily the entry rate for my industry is GOOD and only gets better with time so after next year ill be out on my ass with too many bills to worry about... this is why im living my dream now with my car i worked my ass off for 3 years before i turned 18 to get her and get her going good, i dont earn much at the moment, although im working on a contract at the end of the year for 3 months... need to start saving for moving out really aswell so the most power with the less cash....

hrmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Last edited:

VNPOWER

Reaction score
Members Ride
My00 Wrx 240kwatw
what ever floats your boat bro

xcop5l

4th year spanner spinner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN ex cop 5L
PaRaDoX616 said:
the newer cars HAVE NOTHING TO DO TO THEM, they come with a bodykit, rims everything you'd want, so any upgrade you make looks pissy
thats why i got the hz and the possibilitys and mods are almost endless

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
greenfoam said:
The K frame needs to be modified for the LS1, but there are kits to do it

Starting to sound like the way to go for being easier/different/fast combo besides the 5L which wouldnt be as different IMO. Foam do you have a link or more info on the kits and I assume you meant the 5L k-frame needs to be modified, not the v6 one?? I remember someone posted a picture of a bog stock vn with 14" hubbies and granny visors etc.. with a ls1 in it which was pretty impressive. One factor i think people have overlooked is the time the car wil be off the road for the different setups. I think in order of difficulty/ amount of time/cost/and difference factor it would go as:

-CRS kit on std v6
-5.0L conversion
-Ls1 conversion
-turbo v6

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
VNPOWER said:

cheers
Everyone has different tastes don't forget that. If bob numnuts wants a mini with twin turbo that's him thats what he wants not for us to judge.
We can only make suggestion not decisions.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Yeah, I think it's the V8 Kframe that you use as a base, I don't know all that much about it apart from it being a fairly easy conversion as far as non original transplants go. You should be able to research it more on SC in the transplant section.

There is very little point in modifing a buick V6 at all to go properly fast unless it's boosted, you can spend 10 grand on the engine and still be running high 13's plenty of people have done just that. Then you still have family cars that run as fast straight out of the showroom these days :|.

Also I'm not sure a non intercooled SC14 setup (of equal power to a good stock + exhaust/tune 5 liter) and the value of your current VN V6 would be any cheaper than a whole 5 liter car that's the painfull truth of the whole thing.

To make the SC14 as fast as the 5 liter you need the 6 psi pulley and bigger injectors so that ups the costs a bit. To do a good job of it you need the blower for a jap import shop ($300) injectors (say $300) pulley, ($whatever someone will machine you one for, say 300?), Map sensor ($150?) add a few hundred more for making all the brackets, blower inlet and outlet and little bits and a eprom burner to tune the thing and you may as well start with an intercooler to save you making the inlet and outlet bits on the blower twice. That's at least couple grand worth but you can probably be sure of running mid to low 13's. Which is a very fast car for the money spent no doubt, the only problem is the Fedz and the Mr/Mrs EPA.

On the same basic setup you can minus the 300 for the blower and add a grand or so for a really good turbo and a couple extra pipes for a turbo setup. Then you can go as fast as the tyres/motor/gearbox will handle, just hope bits of 200 dollar motor don't go in your 1000 dollar turbo :D

But the most important thing is realising what the end goal is and going straight to it rather than changing the setup 100 times, it will end up alot cheaper if you get straight to the point, so you just say I want to run this time at this mph and build it to do that. And it's a big waste of time trying to make a heavy car go fast especially with a little motor in it so it's waaaaaay smarter starting with the lightest possible car and the biggest possible motor before you touch anything.

My 5 liter is faster than almost every NA VN V6 that exsists and there's pretty much nothing been modified on it but I've also had my doors sucked off well and truely by a LS1.

For me if I wanted to run an 11 second 1/4 mile and had 10 grand, I'd sell my 304 and use a LS1, if I wanted to run a 12 I'd use a 355 stroker. If I wanted to run 13s (which is all I want long term) I'll just keep the 304, I'll run 13's the next time I have 2 grand in the bank so it's no big stress for me becaise I know I can do that anytime I have the funds (The only stress is maybe never having 2 grand in the bank again :/ :)?)

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
heh, good idea foam... yeah i know the buick v6 makes pathetic power N/A makes some nice juice when boosted, back to square one, with less possibilities, i know a 5Ltr would cost less than the conversion but could i get a calais 5.0ltr for the same ammount?? something about the calais's i just like :p ohh ohh i know, maybe its because it has a interior :p heheh

well due to cost/time that rules out any sort of v8, got a year to work with here, so im going straight for the boost and not worrying about a rebuild ect, because at the end of the day, a new engine will cost me $50 if i blow this one up, then i get to convert to a series 2

left with 2 options

1) SC14 intercooled @ 6-10 psi (new pulley, new injectors ect, new fuel pump, 2 bar mapsensor and all those things - expected max output = 160-200rwkw properly tuned under full boost
expected cost = $1500-2000

2) Turbo setup intercooled @ 10-14psi
expected output = 200-250rwkw under full boost
expected cost = $3000-4000

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
Thought this was the right place to post up one of foam's old threads

stock vn.....NOT!! :whistling

CRS do kits for these if you look it up in their website.