Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The next step... ENGINE MODIFICATION!!!!

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
hey guys, as the visual stage of my car modification closes near to where i want it, now its time to play with the engine

so far ive really just been upgrading suspension/handling, 8" wide rims, stiffer springs and shocks, nolathane bushes with link upgrades, ajustable everything ect...

now its time to make her put down a bit more power
im planning on a 3.9 ratio minispool, to help put it down a bit better

now ive got a FEW options and im not %100 on any of them

1) throw a sc14 on her and run some mild boost meanwhile get a intercooler setup going, then rebuild another engine, new rockers, new cam, port heads, forged pistons, stronger conrods, new cam shaft and convert to manual maybe after that turbo it with a FIT manifold (talking in the next 2-3 years)

2) save up LOTS of money and get a LS1, then work that off its tits and turbo it

the advatage about the v6 is i dont have the car off the road for long when i put the engine in (changing kframe, brakes, suspension, wiring loom, computer ect)

the ls1 would go harder but cost more time and money, and time is money as the majourity of the labour would be done by me

the v6 turbo's can make some nice power...
id be stoked to break 200rwkw anything over that would be awesome....
budget of around 10k, dont want to spend much more than that...

im leaning towards the v6 turbo setup

FIT manifold - $1450
Turbo $400-500
BOV $100-200
boost gauge - $60
oil lines -$50ish
intercooler - $300ish?~ some good deals out there
wastegate?? -$$?
intercooler piping - $300ish (use exhust piping like luke)

rebuild with parts and machining $4000ish~

soo round $7000 for a decant 250rwkw??? +/-
and a brank spanker of a engine

ive pretty much studdied v6 vengence's setup and they'res alot of things he could of done beter, and he wasted alot of money on useless things and doubbles

i assume id need a rebuilt tranny for the ammount of power ill be laying down,
what needs to be upgraded? torque converter?? gears? tailshaft? ect
no idea if i wanna stay auto or go manual, will figure it out later

anyway any opinions welcome, aslong as i can take what you say and use it!

anton1o

[GMHVN6]
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 6 Berlina '90
Id go an LS1, heaps newer wont require asmuch $ to get the power out of it... You can get an LS1 for about $4000, so you'd really hit the budget adding up all the other bits and pieces.

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
I'd say turbo 6 as theres only a couple of em around, and after going for test rides in a few performance turbo 6's (xr6 turbo, RB30ET) the output is pretty impressive, definately give any worked 8 a run for its money.

My idea as im only on my P's and will be for 3 years (NSW) with the restrictions, is to purchase a vn wreck with good motor, take the motor out and rebuild it for a turbo and fit it all back in the wreck + get custom piping work done etc. Then wait till of my P's and drop the setup in my good car. That way i got a couple of years to build it in spare time and a weekend to drop it in.
$10G would be a good estimate for the total cost I would think too

cracker

Reaction score
10g's..... for everything... i think not.
engines are expensive even a mild na will cost you at least 2000-3000g's
i mean mild to cam, stock ish heads acl race pistons etc. it adds up fast.
the auto would not last. at all.
things cost alot more once you starting doing it

anton1o

[GMHVN6]
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 6 Berlina '90
Thats why i advised LS1, the amount of piss farting around is halfed str8 off the bat..

All you need to do is get a halfcut of the thing.. Pfft if you work the 6 ok wont need to get no engineer's or go around to places... but youll be spending money on an engine.. Get an engine thats alredy putting out 200rwkw... If you can do alot of the work yourself altho it will be a big task to LS1 a VN, but its been done many times before..
Youll be different/powerful/ and have an engine thats not even 5yrs old :D

LS1 will shoot you down the 1/4 for the same price if not less.. Whilst you still have an open field to modifications!

anton1o

[GMHVN6]
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 6 Berlina '90
anton1o said:
Thats why i advised LS1, the amount of piss farting around is halfed str8 off the bat..

All you need to do is get a halfcut of the thing.. Pfft if you work the 6 ok wont need to get no engineer's or go around to places... but youll be spending money on an engine.. Get an engine thats alredy putting out 200rwkw... If you can do alot of the work yourself altho it will be a big task to LS1 a VN, but its been done many times before..
Youll be different/powerful/ and have an engine thats not even 5yrs old :D

LS1 will shoot you down the 1/4 for the same price if not less.. Whilst you still have an open field to modifications!

A good auto, will cost you $2000

**** I QUOTED MYSELF!

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
ok, first....stop, take a breath and think.
what are you aiming to do/end up with at the end of all this? thats what you really need to consider first and foremost.
while it might sound like a sweet idea to do this and that, with a rebuilt so and so,etc.etc.. you should put alot of thought into a few things:
what are you going to use this car for? a daily driver, weekend cruiser, pure track weapon...a bit of all the above?
how much power and torque do you really need for what your going to be using it for?
how will certain mods affect its drivability and cost of running and maintenance?
and set some sort of limit/ budget and keep to it, dont let it get out of hand on you as its easy to do. i dont wanna curb your enthousiasm or anything and im not trying to be a prick, its just alot of money and you should allocate it wisely before you make any hasty decisions.

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
What's wrong with Supercharging? 230kw + from a good set-up.
Grab a change over engine herd they are very cheap. Ad ComeRacing Cam Pistons have the heads done. Ad Supercharger headers exhaust might come under $6000-$7000??.

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
if you are going to turbo the v6 and are going the spend all that mone, spend another 1000 and buy a BB turbo. something like off the xr6's. that is only my opinion though. i have bought all of what i need and only spent $500 on a turbo and i am sure that will be the first thing to let me down.. but i could be wrong