Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Ol' Spare Wheel Well Boot Rust!

pfdun

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore II Executive
When I bought the car *93 VP COMMODORE* from a previous owner 18 months ago I was informed of the boot leak problem that occurs with a lot of Commodores, but was never shown the spare wheel well where the water pools as he assured me he'd gotten to the problem before it started. Stupid me I should have checked it out myself but was overwhelmed at the thought of obtaining a car i'd had my eye on for a while.

Now i'm stuck with a great big rust hole the size of a Subway foot-long sub! What would be the best way to go about fixing this? Is it that huge of a problem? Will simple fibreglass fix it or should it be welded?

Would really appreciate some help on this problem :wave:

pfdun

Reaction score
Members Ride
Will take some pics later on today.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
if you're handy with metal work and a welder repair it that way, prep it correctly and paint it and be sure to put a drain hole in there....

or find a wrecked vn/vp/vr/vs, maybe vb-vl also to cut a section out of and weld in.
to lazy to walk out to the vn, remove the spare wheel and take a pic but here's a VL one for comparison.
vl sww.jpg

or fibreglass, make sure the water can drain, treat the existing metal and prep the area correctly so it doesn't rust out around the patch, i hate working with the stinky messy stuff so i'd personally go option 1 or 2.

Last edited:

pfdun

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks Jxw! Yeah i'd much rather go the metal work option. What does prepping involve? Big job?

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
just the usual prep, remove all the flaking rust, bit of rust converter, clean it up and seal it properly with primer/kill rust primer and paint so it can't start rusting again.

i started the process in the pic above but only got as far as using the angry grinder and wire brush to clean all the flaking rust out of that boot, previous owner thought it was a good idea to line the boot with plastic >< once i cleaned it up to that point i was relieved it was only really surface and nothing had gone through... it looked pretty bad in the beginning...

pfdun

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks heaps mate, will give it all a go when i've got some spare time :D

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
Now i'm stuck with a great big rust hole the size of a Subway foot-long sub! What would be the best way to go about fixing this? Is it that huge of a problem? Will simple fibreglass fix it or should it be welded?

MMMMM, going by the size of that hole, you are getting rip off at Subway.