Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The pain of no A/C or the pain of the repair cost

Repair A/C

• Total voters

shueardm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
I've struggled with a non functioning Air Conditioner in the VT now for 2 years. Yes I got through another summer and I am still here.
The $1000 cost to repair properly with a Delphi 5 v2 is a big ask for a car that is 18 years old and market value is similar to the bill to repair it.
I'd like an idea about how many VT Commodores are out there running original A/C compressors and running well?
I'd also like to hear from those that spent the grand to fix and did you feel good about it, the cost vs value of car etc.
Could apply to VX and VY as well, I think VZ is worth enough to repair if in good condition IMO. Still happy to hear any thoughts.

I am too scared to go the ebay route and get a $300 compressor, sure that wouldn't last 2 years before I am in the same position, least that's what the warnings are from many.

Last edited:

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
Hey if your happy with the rest of the car and you love the car then why not, like you said she's just turnd 18 and oh yes your right at 18 there's no resale value.
In the last 2 weeks ours started making a loud voilent cluck noise when the air conditioner is turned on so we have 7 months before a new one compressor will be installed.

$1,000 seems extremely fair and I'm thinking thats for a new compressor, lines, seals, gas and fitting.
Just did a quick Ebay price check, a quality original GM Delphi compressor $369 and a genuine VX Commodore compressor $470

Last edited:

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
A good VT Wagon up here would still pull probably $2000 to $3000 so depending on what condition the overall car is will depend on whether it is worth the $1000 spend.
I've struggled with a non functioning Air Conditioner in the VT now for 2 years. Yes I got through another summer and I am still here.
The $1000 cost to repair properly with a Delphi 2 is a big ask for a car that is 18 years old and market value is similar to the bill to repair it.
I'd like an idea about how many VT Commodores are out there running original A/C compressors and running well?
I'd also like to hear from those that spent the grand to fix and did you feel good about it, the cost vs value of car etc.
Could apply to VX and VY as well, I think VZ is worth enough to repair if in good condition IMO. Still happy to hear any thoughts.

I am too scared to go the ebay route and get a $300 compressor, sure that wouldn't last 2 years before I am in the same position, least that's what the warnings are from many.
I recently spent $975 on a holden compressor in a VZ so I agree with you thoughts.
If you have no choice, or intend to keep the car, and you need the comfort of air con, then do it, otherwise, just wind the windows down, besides, winter is not far away so you will need the heater more than anything.
I never turn the air con off, I simply dial up the heat when needed.
Repairer who did mine would not use anything other than genuine compressor, said over the years he had a gutfull of the aftermarket compressors.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Whats the price of another car? $5000.00 - $10000.00. How long will the a/c work?
Newer cars are more costlier to fix. Instead of an arm & leg, it will be both arms & legs + your nuts.
So l think $1000.00 is a lot cheaper than buying another car.
Really depends though what condition the car is in, mechanically & body wise. If its a basket case, time or another car.
Any good parts on your vt, if so maybe another vt-vx shell? These parts are cheap.
Your decision.
There is a place in Wangaratta that sells a/c compressors. Delphi 5 year warranty. $289.00. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Brand-N...Holden-Commodore-VT-VU-VX-VY-V6-/111119681717 4

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
At times like this you need to decide if you plan to keep the car for a while longer or just let it die.
If you plan to keep it it's worth keeping it 100% but before you spend the cash think about the cost of upgrading to a later model.

shueardm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Ebay and air compressors are a no go zone. If they are legit they probably have a legit business workshop. This is an opinion that we could argue about all day because somebody bought one and it is still working fine , etc etc. Personally I would not trust the quality of part or seller that sells sub $300 Air Compressors on ebay with 5 year warranty. Show me anyone who successfully claimed a warranty that didn't lose his hair in doing so.

shueardm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Link works ok for me.
yes but there is no copy, there is no about us. Point is there is no trust in places that sell on ebay, it is flooded with fake everything from batteries to air compressors