Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The pain of no A/C or the pain of the repair cost

Repair A/C

• Total voters

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
release the gas from the schrader valve

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
I've struggled with a non functioning Air Conditioner in the VT now for 2 years. Yes I got through another summer and I am still here.
The $1000 cost to repair properly with a Delphi 5 v2 is a big ask for a car that is 18 years old and market value is similar to the bill to repair it.
I'd like an idea about how many VT Commodores are out there running original A/C compressors and running well?
I'd also like to hear from those that spent the grand to fix and did you feel good about it, the cost vs value of car etc.
Could apply to VX and VY as well, I think VZ is worth enough to repair if in good condition IMO. Still happy to hear any thoughts.

I am too scared to go the ebay route and get a $300 compressor, sure that wouldn't last 2 years before I am in the same position, least that's what the warnings are from many.
Its worth the comfort also its a selling point.

shueardm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Its worth the comfort also its a selling point.
I agree it's important to sell but not to get extra value. Basically I wouldn't buy a car without AC working unless I took off a grand.
If you pay a grand you do not get it back, you can just sell it easier.

shueardm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
I might pull a compressor out of a yard tomorrow for $49 from a VX, I seen today that looked pretty new, clean and with a sticker on the side , while I didn't get to see whos sticker it was , I was in a hurry and it was at right angles to my vision, the sticker looked real clean , telling me it might be a good luck special find and someone pranged the car soon after fixing their own A/C

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
I agree it's important to sell but not to get extra value. Basically I wouldn't buy a car without AC working unless I took off a grand.
If you pay a grand you do not get it back, you can just sell it easier.
You have a more attrctive ride and maybee you will not be kickd in the balls with a lowball offer

shueardm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
will not be kickd in the balls with a lowball offer
what could an 18 year old car with a common V6 possibly get. Maybe 2k tops. I spent 2 k in the last year with oil leaks, struts etc. I am keeping for a few years.

shueardm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
anyone able to show me a link to the 2 seals I need to replace with new ones, what they are called or a specific link for this compressor ?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Its not about how much the older car is worth. Its about replacing the car. How much? $5000, $10000 $20000? A lot more?
Newer cars to me are only expensive heaps of shxt & even more expensive for parts.
Then there are the electrical faults that most of the experts can't fix.
Just my view.