Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The perfect ride height for a VK.

seq4x4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Im looking at a suspension overhaul for the VK. Its time to ditch the heat pressed set up iv been using for a month or so.

Iv got a grand. Im looking to do shocks, struts, springs. If its cheap enough, ill want to do the ball joints, get an adjustable panhard rod (for some reason my stock one keeps the diff centred when as low in the pic). And what ever is left, some bushes for the z bars or adjustable strut tops i guess?

Whats your opinions? Im thinking SL or UL. Heres a picgture of how it sits now, unlevel and still a little too high.

dfdfuj.jpg

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
I think the back is about right, front could come down a bit more.
IMO, avoid going too low. It ends up looking like the car has been sat on, and it handles like a POS.

I've got lovell superlows in the front and rear (check the link in my signature for pics) To me, it's the ideal height. Gives the car a good stance, whilst still retaining good ground clearance and suspension travel.

Different brands rate their superlows differently, but a lot of them will provide a 'eyebrow height' which is essentially the measurement from the edge of the gaurd to the centre of the wheel. That will give you some sort of guide

seq4x4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Yours is a good height. But beileve it or not, the suspension set up in mine came out of a VH that sat level. So the rear would be Low to SL i currently have. I think i might fork out for the complete SL set up from monroe/king springs. Would only be $610 then and still get get the other stuff i need.

Cheers mate, been looking through the show your ride section for decent ride heights and didnt see yours.

TY318

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL 202
its funny with my vh my step brothers dad said it was lowered and when i pulled the springs out and shock they were all standard except for the rear shock they were monroe shocks

180sc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais & vh sl
Get the kings and monroe package you mentioned in superlow then get adjustable strut tops and panard bar that should do your $1000 then buy all the bushes and joints you need as you can afford them once all that is done get yourself a 28mm front and 22mm rear swaybar and it should handle pretty good for an early girl. Avoid going the 30mm front bar as it tends to make the front ride very harsh. It will probably cost close to 2k in parts overall but if you pay someone to fit it all then you will be closer to the 3k mark.

VBRED

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VK Calais 333 Pack
If you want it to handle you got fit big fat sway bars back and front. I have 30mm front and 22mm rear bars as well as the other gear and it goes around corners like it was on rails.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
Get the kings and monroe package you mentioned in superlow then get adjustable strut tops and panard bar that should do your $1000

i got that setup, minus the adjustable strut tops. its (i believe) a brilliant setup. king sl's and replaced the swaybar links and sway bar to chassis bushes with superpro neo's and although it still suffers a bit of body roll, its quite a nice ride. also OP, there is NO WAY you can drop that far without the adjustable pan hard rod. not onlt does the exhaust get a beating from the rod, the passenger tyre sticks out about 15mm.
Image034.jpg

seq4x4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Ill go get the tape measure. Im dead certain its still the same. But god only knows how old the bushes are so i could have play. But im going to get the adjustable anyway as im going to be doing bushes afterwards and that would start pulling everything back to where it should. Cheers for all your info guys, going to be pricing up everything tonight and try wheesal some discounts lol.

SL she goes. Altho i would like lower but itll do for now hah.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR