Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The problem With Wreckers

mastadd

Reaction score
Website
www.classicskylinesaustralia.com
Members Ride
Vu Spac Ute
after thinking about it for some time now i decided it would be a good idea to replace the Face of my dash on my Vu, and look for a Eurovox cd/tape player till i upgrade my stock cd player. after attending 4 wreckers today i have found that MOST are:
A. OverPriced.
B. Rude (ie ignore you for ages)

Prices for the dash Ranged from $40 for only the top half of a stock Gray dash no switch gear, One guy wanted $120 for a siver(hsv) one top side only scratched, no switches, and the last guy wanted $80 for the Full Hsv one including the bit that goes around the shifter ( that was after i offered to pull it out) !
but that price aint to bad,

The real one that got me and is the whole reason im posting here is the EuroVox cd/tape player.

only 2 places had one, first place: No code, No Vin, buttons worn THRU! $330!!!

2nd place good clean one, still in car so atleast a vin, altho they offered to get the code, $220!!!

are they all on drugs? they were both adamant that they could sell them at that price would any one really pay that much? that is the question i pose to you all! Would You?

I say NO!

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
No. Wreckers these days are a rip. I asked for a L3 cluster. They said yeah no worries $330. Well i laughed at the guy and said, no seriously what do you want for the cluster. He looked at me as serious as ever and repeated $330 and insisted it was a good price.

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
there to make money so if you want the bits you pay what they want for them - that's business.

I've only ever had one issue with a local wrecker who threw a steering rack at me. i probably deserved it, but the rack was really only good for throwing anyway.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
lol what did you do to get a rack thrown at you.

its great driving a vn-vs model car. plenty of them at the wreckers and parts are cheap.

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
I too hate this issue. Will be needing to go to the wreckers soon for a bunch of various bits and pieces and not looking forward to it as they will prob charge a ridiculous amount for everything. Anyone going to pinch-a-part in kilsyth soon and want to get a photo of the price boards for me? :p

We need more of them 'all you can carry for $50' days. Jollys in dande did it not that long ago. Sucks that I diddnt need anything at the time lol

Ado

Are we there yet?
Reaction score
Members Ride
vsII statesman L67
My wreckers sell mainly panels and running gear from their cars so little bits like interior parts they dont ask much for.L3 clusters i get usually for about $45 and got VS s3 Statesman chrome inner door handles for $10 for a set of 4(quickly sold for $250)

VPplayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
well what it comes down to is, you got some wreckers that are nice people and sell items for cheap, and you got some other wreckers where they are all scums and try to rip you off, its just the matter of finding the right one.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
The funny thing about wreckers seems to be that the ruder and more arrogant they are, the more they think their stuff is worth. One wrecker near me (which I never visit because of previous experience) is so totally lacking in service and courtesy, and so over the top with prices, that you have to wonder how they keep in business.

Haydz

Fasten your seatbelts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE LS1 T56
the thing with wreckers is that they know you want the part. hence why your asking about it.

so they can charge a bit over the top and most people will pay it because after all its what they want.

most i have been to have been reasonable. some over the top though.

wanted 20 bucks for a power steering cap. wtf?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
It makes sense to see if the part is available new and get the retail price, too. How often we hear of wreckers wanting more than new cost price for parts that are still available from retail outlets.