Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The question again...VF Clubby or VF2 SSV Redline

Rikes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
I was in this position end of last year and chose the 340 R8 Clubby. Runout special.
Coming from a 2013 VF1 Redline it was a excellent car but it's no HSV.
Paid less than 70k for the R8 it made no sense choosing a Redline again for $8-9k more??
Totally up to you though.

8-9k more than $70,000 for a redline?
I paid $55,000 on road for my VF2 Redline

gfl

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Tourer
LS3, less than 1000k on the clock so expect it to improve.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
You will pay less than half of that if you get aftermarket rotors and pads.
If they really wear like that, are they covered within the fixed-price servicing (~$300/service) for the first 5 years?

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
If they really wear like that, are they covered within the fixed-price servicing (~$300/service) for the first 5 years?

Fixed price only covers logbook items, excludes brakes/tyres/alignments etc.

Brakes every 40k on a HSV will only be if you drive it very hard though.

gmoulds

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 SS M6
just an update, took a Manual R8 and a SSV Redline for a test drive today. did the same circuit with both mixed highway and medium traffic.
All I can says is (forgetting Price)once you drive the LSA you would not look at the Redline again,
Although the Redline sounded better, much better exhaust noise!

Both IMO had fair heavy fuel usage.

R8 ran an instantaneous high 20's in traffic, 11-15 freeway Avg over 15km was 23.9
Redline ran an instantaneous low 20's in traffic, 10-12 freeway Avg over 15km was 18.1
Expect a bit of an improvement once run in BUT!

Did the same in my 6l instantaneous mid teens in traffic, 7-8 freeway Avg over 15km was 12.1
Mines got OTR 4-1 Headers and a tune

JTmofo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Sportswagon
You can't compare anything with an LSA with an LS3... That's just stupid.

I had a loan of a Senator LSA last week for 2 days.... It's a completely different animal to my SSV.
It also had a price tag of $91990.... I paid $53000 for my SSV...so circa $39k in the difference.

Of course you wouldn't look at a Redline again, but it's a huge difference in price tag (and running costs)

Rikes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
just an update, took a Manual R8 and a SSV Redline for a test drive today. did the same circuit with both mixed highway and medium traffic.
All I can says is (forgetting Price)once you drive the LSA you would not look at the Redline again,
Although the Redline sounded better, much better exhaust noise!

Both IMO had fair heavy fuel usage.

R8 ran an instantaneous high 20's in traffic, 11-15 freeway Avg over 15km was 23.9
Redline ran an instantaneous low 20's in traffic, 10-12 freeway Avg over 15km was 18.1
Expect a bit of an improvement once run in BUT!

Did the same in my 6l instantaneous mid teens in traffic, 7-8 freeway Avg over 15km was 12.1
Mines got OTR 4-1 Headers and a tune
I've driven an LSA R8 too.......and I'd pick my supercharged Redline over a stock LSA any day.
Even the LSA need mods to get them to perform.

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
If I'd get a supercharged anything it would be a GTS. The VF series 1 are going for less than a new series 2 R8 with roughly 30k+ km on them. They've got all the goodies and that larger air intake aero grill to ensure maximum cooling for the components. Being such a hot ambient air country you need to keep things cool or you'll seriously suffer power loss. Considering the non GTS supercharged cars don't have this (including aftermarket Holden's fitted with chargers) you are putting yourself at a big disadvantage.
Alternatively I'd probably go an intercooled turbo setup to a LS3 NA engine for absolute bang for bucks power if I had to get modded forced induction.