Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Random Thread

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Sometimes you’ve got to wade through the chit to get to where ya want in life.

.... and that is what a lot of people don't want to do, it is all too hard at the time. I am 'lucky', so I have been told.
I never received any Super Guarantee Levy during my working life. I joined a 5% self funded super scheme, because it was compulsory, and I did not understand it when I was a teenager.
Later, in life, I had a few part time jobs, no super there, and then got another job which had a defined benefit, if you paid x% into it. It was later changed to a contributory scheme and most work-mates swapped to that, (I didn't) and as a result I was probably $400 per fortnight worse off than them, because they just opted for the > 9% SGL.
Now, I am retired and just so 'lucky' ..... 2 lots of super income streams, + part old farts pension, + the associated NSW perks for being an old fart.
My favourite quote from a wise old philosopher ......."You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime, you'll find you get what you need"

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
I just filled up my 2500HD Duramax Diesel at $1.85 USD per Gallon. For 1 day, dropped to $0.99 USD. Just hate that Piss Water DEF... there is a way to deactivate that nonsense?

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Do you mean DPF - Diesel Particulate Filter ?

They can be deleted but the emissions cops and arse reaming.

Diesel Exhuast Fluid. I think its also known as AdBlu (merc patent?)
Basically urea to catch all the NOx nasties. Good technology, but you need to keep it filled.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I just filled up my 2500HD Duramax Diesel at $1.85 USD per Gallon. For 1 day, dropped to $0.99 USD. Just hate that Piss Water DEF... there is a way to deactivate that nonsense?

It can but as mentioned it may cause hurt in other ways if you do. Google Optimal Welding.....

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Basically urea to catch all the NOx nasties. Good technology, but you need to keep it filled.

Ah yes, familiar with AdBlue.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah the bus runs ad blue. It run out one day and it caused some problems. I thought we were gonna be stuck but he limped it to the next town and had it topped up I think.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Apparently if you have a Ranger or Everest, they stop so that you don't damage the engine. Just the thing needed for a 4x4 in the great Oz outdoors.

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Just the thing needed for a 4x4 in the great Oz outdoors

You'd just carry some spare? Like petrol, water, tyres etc..
It last a long time though as I understand it (like l/1000km rates)

Could even bring urea powder and mix it yourself. Watch out for getting on some CIA watchlist buying too much powdered urea though...

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Do you mean DPF - Diesel Particulate Filter ?

They can be deleted but the emissions cops and arse reaming.

Funny is, my State have NO Emission Test. Most midwest USA States does not have them. Is a California crock of shît. We go by the 49 State Rules. Also, no Safety Check either, cops can ticket the driver for an unsafe vehicle but most of them, as bad as they are, they still OK. You hardly see anybody broken down on the road.

When I was in Minnesota, was the last year for Smog Test. Turned out, that was not need it according to state studies. So... all smog test stations got tore down, made into quick lube centers, shops or some sort of office.

You got it.

The way the DEF works, on the Duramax, you get a Warning, after so many miles, the engine loses power, no DEF, no worries mate, cut more power off. The engine ECU will make the truck go to a crawl if DEF is run dry.

Service DEF System
If a problem occurs with the DEF system, a DIC message displays along with distance until vehicle speed is limited.
The speed limitation will occur in a series of steps with the final speed limitation being 8 km/h (5 mph) along with a flashing warning light and chimes.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw3KwgGFo1TYNh2fS-jMYTOS

Last edited: