Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Random Thread

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Funny is, my State have NO Emission Test. Most midwest USA States does not have them. Is a California crock of shît. We go by the 49 State Rules. Also, no Safety Check either, cops can ticket the driver for an unsafe vehicle but most of them, as bad as they are, they still OK. You hardly see anybody broken down on the road.

When I was in Minnesota, was the last year for Smog Test. Turned out, that was not need it according to state studies. So... all smog test stations got tore down, made into quick lube centers, shops or some sort of office.

That is probably because the government expects the manufacturers make sure the vehicles systems ensure emissions standards are met.

The VW debacle would suggest some checking would still be prudent...

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
The VW debacle would suggest some checking would still be prudent...

The Mfg do a good job with the present tech. The VW debacle was more about VW working within the California guidances. The state, in order to "steal" more cash from the people. In their infinte wisdom, decided to eliminate all Smog Testing Machines and replace it with a dongle that plugs in the ODB2 port. Of course, VW did not cheated the system, simply, found a loophole within their own rules. Is like me taking a Math Test and bring a Calculator, Aced the test, people complained that I got a 100%, then, the proctor gave me a 0 because I cheated using a Calculator, the Proctor said nothing that is allowed or not.

Same with the VW TDI, was winning the MPG battles with all the Hybrids and CARB will not accept a Dirty Diesel beating their Hybrid Japanese Gems... However, if that is not the case, TDIs will be roaming the streets without any drama.

Politics and Tech, got to love those twos combined.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Went and grabbed 20bucks of petrol at Woolworths this eve when I noticed some gas bottles sitting outside the cages. I tell the fella about them and he says they won't fit and that some bloke dropped them off. He offered them to me for free. I was like yep, for sure I will take them. I needed a spare in Town and because I can fill my own with gas left over from a wreck I could use another for the patio heater. I will swap and go the dodgy one with the stuck valve. Fill the small one at home and keep the spare to refill at BBQs Galore for 20 bucks.
20200724_183241_resized.jpg

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Dear Mr. Ex–Holden Dealer.

Now that Rory has been reduced to a mangy tabby cat, and his statue has been pulled off sacred monuments to be replaced by symbols of more exclusive automotive marques, I wonder if your ‘new and improved’ establishments will offer the same level of service to your more discerning clients than they did to your previous bogan customers.

I am not sure that anybody who buys an ‘upmarket and premium’ Audi, Volvo, Renault, Lexus or whatever you dealer have transitioned to, will consider traditional Holden service standards and product knowledge will be sufficient to please.

Will you continue with the old line of “We couldn’t find any codes, so we have replaced the flux capacitor, the energy polariser and the jiggleyo sensor, so that will cost you $2,000, and if the problem persists, they all do that under those condition, so nothing to worry about.”
Your latest victims may well be of the opinion that a purchase of an ‘upmarket and premium’ vehicle will also provide ‘upmarket and premium’ service and customer attention.

I wish you luck with your future endeavours, and may you live in interesting times.

Signed ……. Fig Jam, (A disgruntled and disappointed bogan former customer from about 12 years ago.)

PS. Just keep the spare parts available, so we can obtain them, and have them fitted by a competent third-party servicing centre.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Turns out it is National Science week.

*found out while listening to Dr Karl talking about space stuff on the J's

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
So someone sent a message about the lockdown if it was 20 years ago and having a Nokia 3310.
Sent back about actually being stuck with a 3310 at home.

So went and dusted it off, charged it up and tried to go play a nostalgic game of snake.
Only dilemma is that it requires a sim card to go further.
Put an old card in there. 3 shots at the pin and then it asks d=for the PUK code.
No worries, got that sorted, and now wont allow the pin to change, so cant get in to see the menus.
Think it will be a lost cause to find an old 2g sim to make it all work :(

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
So, I guess i was semi incorrect. Put the current simcard in it (well held it onto the sim contacts) and it registered fine.
No signal though (good ol 2g and wont be long until 3g is turned off)
Might need to figure out an adaptor thing for some nostalgic snake gaming.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
25 free to air channels, 1000 or more shows and movies on Netflix and there is still nothing decent to watch on a Sat night.........