Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Research and Development Thread!!

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
I plan to be one of those first 100. You just let the forum know when these are up for order and Ill be on it like a fat kid with cake.

vk4akp

Starfire, Fear V Power!!
Reaction score
Website
shazam.zapto.org
Members Ride
2004 VY2 - Commodore Wagon,VC Commodore (Starfire)
Yeah, lots to do, only so much one man can get done in one day!
Since I cant invest in 1000+ units all in one hit, my only solution to keep costs low is to hand make the first 100+ cables... which will all be hand tested and personally seen through by me. :beer chug:

OK. Cool. Thanks for the update.

I would be keen to be added to the purchasing list for the first 100 units if possible?

I would mainly use it with an Android tablet so Windows support not so important up front.

I do understand that R&D would be ongoing and the initial release of the BT plug would be in it's very early days software support wise.

Will be very interesting to see how this all works. This is my first car with a computer in it and I'm dying to learn all about it all. :)

I'm pleased to hear things are getting closer. Thanks :)

.-.-.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Bit of an update.

Im finally onto the software side of things! The cable is completed to a standard that Im happy with. The 3D case design will be sent off for molding hopefully soon after I have the design looked over and confirmed.

As for the software, Im completely blank for ideas on the name.
The name is not priority right this second, but I do need to actually call it something when I finish. Was thinking something simple like "Easy Automotive Diagnostics", or EAD for short.

I cant think of anything witty at this time, so EAD will be it unless something springs to mind :beer chug:

Next, seems to be the topic of the week. Will EAD be subscription? And can I put it on multiple computers?
Short answer, it will not be subscription for diagnostics, and yes you will be able to put it on multiple computers.

Something Iv been battling for a long time is the licensing. On the new design Iv drawn up, Iv designed the licensing to be based around the cable and not the computer. So the CABLE is your license.
You will plug the cable in, apply the license key and the software will register. You can then plug the cable into another computer and click register and it will apply the license to that computer also.
Eventually any iphone/android apps (Yes.. they are on the table) will follow the same scheme.

The above is the best I can possibly think of, so regardless if your computer got run over, blew up or eaten by the dog (Yes I have heard all of those excuses), then it will be easy as to register another computer.

All normal diagnostics including reading live data and fault codes will not be subscription based. EAD will be included with all Envy cable purchases.
There will be two additional extended/extra licenses that will be subscription that can be added, this includes:
- Extended license ($50/yr)
- Professional license (Yet to be discussed)

Extended license allows reprogramming any additional functions in cars. This will include things such as writing a new key, Security linking modules ect.
Purposely made this very cheap, roughly 14cents per day. Im hoping by making it cheap, it will encourage people to use it. The extended license is basically going to fund purchasing modules and equipment as well as help manufacture the cables in larger quantity which will reduce their cost and the kit cost eventually!

Professional license is something that will only be available to authorised workshops. Whats different about the professional license I hear you say? I'll leave you to ponder on that, more on it once Im further into its development.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Do you know what EAD usually stands for :p Eat a d**k

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
I'd start out with an acronym and work backwards... maybe the "E.N.V.S." (Extended Network Vehicle Software)?

Which just happens to be pronounced as it's spelt... "Envyous"

Andrew

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
I like E.N.V.S. better than having Wraith having to EAD

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Do you know what EAD usually stands for :p Eat a d**k

My day has been made :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

I didnt think of that ahahahah.

I'd start out with an acronym and work backwards... maybe the "E.N.V.S." (Extended Network Vehicle Software)?

Which just happens to be pronounced as it's spelt... "Envyous"

Andrew

I like that.. might play around with the wording and see what I can come up with.

I like E.N.V.S. better than having Wraith having to EAD

:rofl2:

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Yep that works real nice.