Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Research and Development Thread!!

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
So!
NVS is coming along slower than expected (Surprise surprise).

I had to go back to the cable hardware programming side to add a few extra things I missed out on, mainly the ability to adjust timings on all protocols.

For example, LS1 ECU's use the language (Protocol) called VPW. This protocol is based on counting the microseconds that the bus is either pulled high (8v) or low (~0v). For example, the 'start of frame'(SOF) of any message in VPW on a bus starts with the bus being pulled HIGH for ~200microseconds, then after that the message is sent.. bit by bit (zeros and ones!) were about 50microseconds per bit indicate a 0 or 1 until the full message is sent.

Now, 200microseconds (0.2 milliseconds or 0.0002seconds) may sound very fast.. which it is.. BUT.. it gets even better!
These ECU's can support 4 times the normal speed (Used for tuning).. this means the SOF is now 50microseconds and each bit sent is about 12.5microseconds.

So now we are entering some very quick processing, now we are getting closer to the nanosecond region (1000nanoseconds = 1microsecond).
To make things even more complex.. not all devices use the exact same timing.. as there needs to be some 'slack' since some devices (Like an ECU) could be very busy and may not be able to provide a perfect 12.5micro second response. This means you could get either a 8microsecond or 15microsecond response and both still mean the same 12.5micro response.

This is where the timing comes in, where maximum and minimum times for each part of the message need to be defined, if theres not enough slack.. then messages will be missed.. but if theres too much, than rubbish data is picked up.
Or to get a bit more complex, is to calculate the time for one bit, then extrapolate that bit time for all the other timings.. theres pros and cons to that method.. (Which I may still include).

Iv noticed after analyzing various tools that support VPW 4x, that literally none of them use the same timings.. literally every developer has made their own set of timings that are 'kinda' around the same ballpark.. but they can easily misinterpret messages if outside of there 'slack' zones. It just shows there is literally no 'standard' for this VPW 4x, its a bit of a hack job by GM so Im not surprised that even after all these years that no-ones actually provided a tool to support this (infamous) VPW 4x, and if they have then it costs over $500.
Funny enough, the ECU it self is more 'accurate' then these other scantools! I could be the limitations of the processors of those tools... they simply cant keep up.. or.. worse.. a lazy developer who just doesnt care and 'kinda' works is good enough.

So why is this important? Well.. VPW 4X isnt THAT important as this second.. but it might be in the future.. hence.. I want to make it future proof!
I have defined my own set of 4x timings.. which work with LS1 ECU's for flashing (tuning) so Im happy about that, but to ensure they are correct, Iv designed the ability to adjust and SAVE timing configurations, so even if I needed to change some timings in the future, I will be able to modify and save them, and each software update will check if the cableson the latest

Something else that Iv found useful.. is Iv coded in the ability send through the times of each pulse (bit), so even if theres another GM ECU thats on VPW with slightly different timings.. I can record multiple pulses to identify the timing scheme an adjust from there!

A very simply solution to help fix a complex situation.

Now.. what would be the smartest solution? Not to use VPW 4x, an ECU can be read/written at nomal VPW, which is a much more stable and simple solution. It might take 4 times longer the write, but I would prefer stability over speed any day. But for the sake of supporting everything, its in there.

Last edited:

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Also a couple other implementations are going to be added to the cable, including:
- Custom speeds for ALDL
- Custom speeds for CAN

Id like to try support the older Holdens (VN/VQ), but they communicate over a VERY slow speed.. 160baud to be precise.. and from memory.. you can log 1 live engine data message per second on their networks. Also, the older Holdens use 12v for communication, although should actually work with the current hardware from how its designed.
But to be able to support them, need to add in the ability to set the ALDL to 160baud, and redesign how it reads the frames as they are formatted differently.

And.. to my personal favorite... CAN.
I feel like Manufactures want to be difficult... keep changing to different CAN speeds every couple years. First everything was 250K, then 500k.. suddenly down to 125, and a few more even lower.
In no way do I want to get caught out in the future with a vehicle that uses some obscure CAN speed (Im sure its intentional).. so.. time to implement a custom speed scheme.

Unfortunately its quite complex for how the speeds are set hardware wise.. its not as simple as doing CAN.Speed(12345).. theres time quota, sync time and percentage ect that all have to be thought about.
So adding the ability to manually set each CAN parameter to indicate its speed will future proof that as well.

So Iv caused myself more work.. but... hopefully.. for good reason. :beer chug:

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
So!
NVS is coming along slower than expected (Surprise surprise).

Insert technical jargon here also known simply as things....

Also a couple other things....

Id like to try support the older Holdens (VN/VQ)

So Iv caused myself more work.. but... hopefully.. for good reason. :beer chug:

tl:dr - Tazzi up to his usual good guy antics. Widening his customer/support base while making himself more work, but somehow being oddly happy with himself for it

On ya mate, thanks for the information. Always keeping us informed

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
tl:dr - Tazzi up to his usual good guy antics. Widening his customer/support base while making himself more work, but somehow being oddly happy with himself for it

On ya mate, thanks for the information. Always keeping us informed

Your quote edits.. sum it up quite nicely :rofl2:

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Was hoping to have finished the new cable adjustments by now. Of course.. more delays!
I seem to have a problem with saying 'yes' to everything. If I didnt know better, I am literally yes man.

Between tracking down wiring gremlins caused by hackjob sparkies through to designing and programming up custom modules to allow VE radios (And clusters) to function outside of cars for workshop/man cave additions. I can safely say Iv been beyond distracted :beer chug:

To top it off, Iv also begun restructuring the website to add bits and bobs that Iv neglected to add (EDI, DVD kits, reverse camera kits ect).

Back to the envy cable today!

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
HUmm.. With all these new issues a 2016 release not likely? .-.-.
A release during 2016 is inevitable. Worse comes to worse, I will buy a carton of redbull, turn off the work phone, and smash out 72hours straight. I already feel bad declining a couple Perth local jobs today as I needed to continue cracking on with this.
Its more a fact of how much of the software will be completed, as in.. when will there be enough content in it to justify a release?

Iv started compiling everything into one app. But unsure what will be enough.. since if I was to add in absolutely every module for all the commodores, its going to take alot of time. Preferably I like to provide things to an extent that Im happy with.. but if thats the case.. its going to easily take multiple months.

Im thinking something along the lines of:
- Engine and Transmission for VR-VF
- SRS+BCM+cluster+other modules for VT-VZ

Essentially combining current stuff into one app. Then new content will be released every couple of days.
Once all major diagnostics is completed for VR-VF, I will then focus on some more complex additions such as key writing ect.

The other issue I have.. is I cant seem to settle on an application design. Im wanting something modern and easy to use, so Im tinkering with a bunch of different ideas.
Iv always stuck to the following two sayings:
1) KISS = "Keep It Simple Stupid"
2) Less is More

If I add in too much stuff on one screen.. it overwhelms and gets too complex. But too little, and theres no professional abilities.
The next obstacle is I want this app to be touch friendly, simply because Im looking to provide an option for this on a touchscreen tablet as well.

Will have to stick to one design.. can almost guarantee I will change it again.

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
2) Less is More

If I add in too much stuff on one screen.. it overwhelms and gets too complex. But too little, and theres no professional abilities.
The next obstacle is I want this app to be touch friendly, simply because Im looking to provide an option for this on a touchscreen tablet as well.

Then stop adding more :p

And what about window tabs like firefox up the top of the app, would be simple enough on a computer, phone and tablet to use an app like that to switch between the available functions.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Then stop adding more :p
I cant help it!! :rofl2:

And what about window tabs like firefox up the top of the app, would be simple enough on a computer, phone and tablet to use an app like that to switch between the available functions.

Im using that to allow switching between tables for each module.

As in, a module may have the following tab options:
- Module details
- Live Data
- Fault Codes
- Programming

Its the finer details such as icons for save/load logs, settings, help file, ect.
Its easy to rack up 15 different icons, which can quickly lead to confusion... currently Im toying with the help text which displays when hovering over things for a couple seconds.. its the first time using it so adjusting all the little settings.

The new graphing function is beyond complex.. theres a trillion different options.. so working out which ones are actually needed.
Theres also a new display.. mini charts.. which allow tracking graphs on a mini scale, plus a few other fancy bits.