Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Research and Development Thread!!

Discussion in 'Envyous Customs' started by TazzI, Sep 22, 2015.

1. TazzI

TazzI Envyous Customs

Members Ride:
    VE SS Ute
    Australian companies selling the same item and making agreements with one another to state they will not sell for less than a specific price.. yes thats illegal.

In this circumstance, the manufacture/developer will only allow you to become a distributor so long as you follow their rules. In no way do I have any contact or negotiate with other companies or have a say.

When I use the word 'legally', I more mean I would be in breach of their terms and conditions. Another example would be like Apple products, they are the exact same price in JB HiFi as they are in the apple store, since they have a MRSP. If you breach that, basically Apple will no longer distribute to you.

2. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    Minimum price setting is different to cartel bahaviour or Price Fixing.

Both of which are illegal - https://www.accc.gov.au/business/pricing-surcharging/setting-prices

"It is illegal for suppliers to attempt to set a minimum price for their products or services that retailers can’t sell below (this is known as ‘resale price maintenance’)."

And - https://www.accc.gov.au/business/anti-competitive-behaviour/imposing-minimum-resale-prices

"It is illegal for suppliers to:
    • put pressure on businesses to charge their recommended retail price or any other set price, for example by threatening to stop supplying to the reseller
    • stop resellers from advertising, displaying or selling goods from the supplier below a specified price.
    It is also illegal for resellers to ask their suppliers to use recommended price lists to stop competitors from discounting. In most cases, a supplier may specify a maximum price for retail."

3. TazzI

TazzI Envyous Customs

Members Ride:
    VE SS Ute
    Australia suppliers have to comply to accc. This is all assuming Australian companies.

International companies do not comply to those, they have their own rules :rolleyes:

4. TazzI

TazzI Envyous Customs

Members Ride:
    VE SS Ute
    Something I didn't know was this one:

"While selling goods at a below-cost price is usually okay, it may be illegal if it is done for the purpose of eliminating or substantially damaging a competitor"

Basically the little companies are protected against big companies which could run at a loss for much longer. Its good they thought that one through!

5. TazzI

TazzI Envyous Customs

Members Ride:
    VE SS Ute
    Back to R&D.

Iv been having so much luck with J2534 tools, that Im thinking once I have the new software NVS out and about, that I will add J2534 support to my other softwares so there is some backwards compatibility there.

With NVS, Im still add in vehicle definition information. Its extremely time consuming, as every single module has its own requirements, supported parameters, every last calculation/flag/status ect. Its extremely boring and mind numbing task to be doing data entry.

Because I feel like my mind is slowly deteriorating with the complete bore of data entry, Iv turned my attentions to the licensing side of the program to get that completed up to an acceptable standard. The main thing is I want this to be flexible, so remove from one computer, move to another ect, and also not restricted to just the one laptop, so two licensed computers at any one time.

Another one is for laptops that have failed, but cannot disarm/remove license from it (hdd fail). So either have a system which can detect the same computer to instantly relicense once repaired, or add in a time delay for deactivating a license in a circumstance where that laptop has given up completely.

I want to minimize the actual requirement of internet connection, but there will need to be some sort of check at some stage to allow a flexible licensing, it cannot be permanently offline based otherwise flexibility is no longer viable.

Annnnnnd finally, I will be dropping support for Windows XP for NVS. Simply because XP does not physically run it, as its too old! The newer .net frameworks only run on win7 and newer, Microsoft stopped adding support for XP.

Dirbatua likes this.
  6. berlina411

berlina411 Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 SSV Redline (Weekender). VX Berlina (Daily)
    Just recently bought the ELM327 kit and was wondering what to do about the licensing issue. My laptop is now 8 years old and I am thinking about an upgrade soon. Thanks for thinking about this issue and hope you can come to an easy resolution without too many dramas and headaches. Great software BTW, thanks

7. Dirbatua

Dirbatua AWOL!

Members Ride:
    VX SS Manual, VX SS Auto, VU SS Auto
    [​IMG]

8. TazzI

TazzI Envyous Customs

Members Ride:
    VE SS Ute
    Yep.... basically sums it up!

VS_Pete and Dirbatua like this.
  9. waho

waho New Member

Members Ride:
    vf commodore sv6
    anything going on with carplay for vf I see there is one kit available from naviplus

10. TazzI

TazzI Envyous Customs

Members Ride:
    VE SS Ute
    The actual manufacture (who are called navtool) have alot of mixed reviews about their products. Along with alot of people saying its extremely buggy, crashes and overall causes alot of headaches. Keep in mind Naviplus are simply distributors of the product, not the actual developers/manufacture.

I personally havent used it, but was put off simply from the mass amounts of negativity associated with the dev/manufacture.

VS_Pete and Dirbatua like this.
  11. vk4akp

vk4akp Starfire, Fear V Power!!

Members Ride:
    2004 VY2 - Commodore Wagon,VC Commodore (Starfire)
    Has the .AU BT+USB ALDL adapter emerged yet?
    I've had my USA version of same for over a year now.
    I guess the .AU version will be more about the custom software to suit our .AU Commodores etc.
    Fingers crossed that it will finally emerge from vaporware at some point before my EOL ;)
    .-.-.

12. TazzI

TazzI Envyous Customs

Members Ride:
    VE SS Ute
    Unfortunately not. For both business and personal reasons, things are extremely slow.

Iv hit my limitations as a one man operation so either need to merge or hire people. Which anyone as a small business knows is a massive leap and commitment.

The only free time I get to work on new tools/software now is well after work hours (9pm or later) which is usually only for an hour or so.
    Work hours are non stop filled with calls, emails and texts along with processing orders and non stop reflashing/programming parts sent in.

I have also basically stopped doing callouts to people here local in Perth due to having such limited free time!

Realistically I need to be full time dedicated to research and development, if that were the case, I would be doing 10-12hours on new products in a single day.. rather than 5(ish) hours in an entire week.

13. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    Have you considered approaching a uni about establishing an interm program for students in the field with them receiving extra credit and hands on experience for their efforts ?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    TazzI likes this.
  14. TazzI

TazzI Envyous Customs

Members Ride:
    VE SS Ute
    Wow. Thats the best idea Iv heard to date.

Internship or even for final year projects (reverse engineering/building circuits/programming/ect). I know the engineering department at the university I went to is quite open to custom projects and work. Plus students are always struggling to find the required vacation work to pass the degree.

Thankyou for that!!!

Dirbatua and VS 5.0 like this.
  15. HoldenVY04

HoldenVY04 New Member

Members Ride:
    VYV604
    that would be amazing to learn if only i lived in WA