Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Research and Development Thread!!

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
*sigh*
Cant win. Factory informed me the bluetooth module Im using will end production soon.

Soooooooooooooooooo... only option is to change that out for something else, which means changing the board design yet again.

I don't particularly want to do that just yet, so I think the next best option is to stick with USB only for the first few units unless I can get a suitable dropin replacement.

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
Well that is a complete bugger!!!

Atleast the ground work is done though in case you do find a drop-in replacement. And there wouldn't be too much code wise to change with a different module? Or I could be completely wrong

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Well that is a complete bugger!!!

Atleast the ground work is done though in case you do find a drop-in replacement. And there wouldn't be too much code wise to change with a different module? Or I could be completely wrong
Not sure yet!
Id hope not, it essentially works as a passthough. Only time special commands come in is if modify the bluetooths attributes which really never need to be changed after the initial flash.

Very unfortunate. Just My 2 cents feedback. I wouldn't be interested in purchasing a non wireless version .-.-.
Yeah, Im feeling the same as I want a bluetooth enabled device which will 'eventually' be used with smartphones.

Only way around that is to postpone its release to get new designs made and test those out. This does push it part the christmas mark that Iv been aiming for if I hold off.

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
Yeah, Im feeling the same as I want a bluetooth enabled device which will 'eventually' be used with smartphones.

Only way around that is to postpone its release to get new designs made and test those out. This does push it part the christmas mark that Iv been aiming for if I hold off.

Yea i want the bluetooth option on the smart phone for logging and displaying data while doing track days or other events myself :p

Dont suppose you can just mass order the bluetooth modules for your use or they something stupid expensive to bulk order?

Christmas, im hovering like a bad smell for that release.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Yea i want the bluetooth option on the smart phone for logging and displaying data while doing track days or other events myself :p

Dont suppose you can just mass order the bluetooth modules for your use or they something stupid expensive to bulk order?

Christmas, im hovering like a bad smell for that release.

I always have to look at things in the long term. No point making something that suddenly cant be made a few months later.
That is why the factory informed me since the product has been changed from "in production" to now becoming obsolete apparently.

When the part does go out of production, the only way things like that get put back into production is if the MOQ (minimum order quantity) is met, which generally is i the order of thousands of pieces. Things like that end up costing 10's of thousands to invest in.

Sooooo.. puts me back to before.. finding a suitable replacement in the budget.
I have already found a possible replacement part I could use, but at 4x times the cost, that has significant impact on total cost. Iv emailed the group to request about buying in bulk.. hopefully this will save the day!

vk4akp

Starfire, Fear V Power!!
Reaction score
Website
shazam.zapto.org
Members Ride
2004 VY2 - Commodore Wagon,VC Commodore (Starfire)
I'd prefer to wait. Christmas this year wasn't looking too great for me anyhow. Getting used to disappointments. LoL ;)

Also parts are constantly becoming obsolete. Your on the right track considering a bulk buy on critical parts.

It's also good to research life expectancy on critical parts in the early R&D stages to avoid this situation.

.-.-.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
*warning.. this is a bit of a rant..*

Been trying to minimize doing callout jobs so I can focus more on develop.
But do head out for those times where someone is desperate to get it sorted (Can normally pick the people that have been mucked around and are frustrated beyond belief!).

So.. generally.. whom ever Im dealing which, is normally upset, on edge, cranky and overall not someone you want to be around. And yes, I willingly select these ones.
Went out for two of these kind of jobs .... I'll use two fake names for these clients, lets call them Joe and Bill

Job 1) Joe, the first client, bought a reverse camera kit from an online seller, and it simply wouldn't show up on screen.
First off.. I put it into reverse... nothing happens at all. I ask Joe if the headunit has been programmed, and his response was "I didnt know I needed that?". So pull out my tools, enable the camera, put into reverse.. and now it shows a black screen with gridlines.

Next, checked the supplied video connector, and its rubbish, pins falling out and it doesnt even clip into the series2 unit. Replaced the connector and.. Presto!.. we get video.. BUT.. it was blurry, jittery and doing weird things.

Now move onto the camera, the one supplied was obviously the cheapest one that could be found on Ebay. Its workman ship was terrible, quality was terrible and to top it off the camera wasnt suited for the car since it was showing the infamous 'double gridlines' due to the camera had them built in.

So.. replace with one of mine.. and you'd think that would sort it by now.. nope..:toilet:
The new camera doesnt have the blurryness.. but still had jitter and intermittent spikes happening.
Finally move to the wiring.. and as you can guess.. the provided RCA signal wire was shotty. Ran my own signal wire outside of the car to the headunit and its all sorted.

Joe was stoked to see it all working after the stress he had trying to get it going. Then admitted he actually got a quote from me earlier this month but chose to go with someone else that quoted $50 cheaper.
I asked who he bought it from and of course he said.. Ebay.

So it was great to see Joe was happy with it all sorted, but after all that, hes spent over double what it would have normally cost for a camera kit due to the incompetence of useless cowboys selling useless sh*t on ebay.
I understand everyone shops around for the best price, but It also shows the importance of checking what exactly is included with the kit, and most importantly asking around to see if anyone else has had experience with them.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Job 2) Bill, head of nameless car yard (Yes.. a car yard), was in a bit of strife.

The vehicle had abs and traction control warnings showing on screen. To add to this issue, Someone has bought the vehicle but with the condition that problem gets sorted.

Trying to get it done on the cheap, Bill got a sparky to swing by and read out the faults, which lead them to believe it was a faulty EBCM. So instead of buying a new unit, Bills gone to the wreckers, bought another EBCM and popped it in.. and of course the problem persists!

By the time I got called out, Bill had bought a bunch of these things with the same result. The problem was that the units were not vin matched to the car, and were all not from the correct vehicle! (Good wasted $600 there!)
Scantool showed configuration mismatch and VIN mismatch which confirmed my suspicions. So I can reflash the vin, but not the configuration of the EBCM.

I was told the car had to be ready for the client to pickup the next day, and as it was now late at night.. there wasnt going to be a wreckers that we could go check. So we were pretty much **** outa luck and ideas.
Bill then disappeared into the car lot, Headlights turned on and engine fires up.. rolls up to the garage and says: "F*** it, just do it.. take it from this one! That'll work yeah!?".

Pretty sure I was in shock to hear he wanted to pull parts from a perfectly working car! A perfectly working car, valued much higher than this one.. and was happily going to cripple it.
But, funny enough, its actually a solid idea. The car was identical to the troublesome vehicle, so configuration and partnumbers matched up. Was just a matter of programming the vin and it was sorted!

Im yet to be called out to now fix the newly crippled vehicle.. Im guessing hes going to wait till that sells before fixing it also :rofl2:

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
Sounds like fun and many laughs due to incompetence.
Plus, with that car yard possibly a regular customer