Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Research and Development Thread!!

danieljo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS 08
The same connector is used, but not the same pins. ALDL is on a completely different pin and also requires different components to be able to be able to 'communicate' with it. Unfortunately its not a matter of simply hackin a bit of software together to get a can transceiver to communicate to ALDL as its physically not capable of interpreting anything other then CAN communication.

Its a bit to take in, but maybe some day I might be able to rig something together to work with android headunits as I believe all most aftermarket units will run on an android interface in a couple years time which will allow developers to make interesting integrated applications and devices!

Been overseas for a business trip, but now Im back I am straight back into the design!.

Iv got the design together.. its bigger then I hoped but had to be that size to fit it all in nicely. Im currently printing in a new black filament that I have just received so will post up some pictures once its finished.

The early prototype is working though, fits in the case and is a neat little package!.
Im able to successfully communicate to an VY LS1 ECU, VE V8 ECU, VT instrument cluster and VE instrument cluster all using this one cable via bluetooth. All of those devices use a different "language" so its good to finally have everything all in one package! :beer chug:

Ill take pictures of the new design when this fresh print is finished. Its different to the previous designs due to size constraints.. but hopefully its still on point (As the kids say these days).

The last couple things left on the list are:
1) Custom little stickers made up which will indicate the power, USB, Bluetooth and OBD communication that will cover the 4 little light holes on the back and will illuminate nicely.
2) Find a little micro usb 'plug' to fit into the USB connection slot to protect it.
3) Finish off a bit more coding on the device and send out some beta samples for people to use
4) Make some quick basic software to use the new cable or implement the cables 'language' into my existing applications for testing.

Other then that.. its almost there!. Theres a little bit of coding to still do before its at a standard that Im happy with but Im getting there slowly!.

I would be happy to beta test for you I have a VE VT WK here at home and can get my hands on VY aswell

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
I would be happy to beta test for you I have a VE VT WK here at home and can get my hands on VY aswell

I only have a VY series 2 but I'm keen if testers required. ;) .-.-.

Itll be a first come first serve kinda deal after I have offered the opportunity to previous beta testers first. :beer chug:

vk4akp

Starfire, Fear V Power!!
Reaction score
Website
shazam.zapto.org
Members Ride
2004 VY2 - Commodore Wagon,VC Commodore (Starfire)
I wonder if you could create an ALDL to OBD2 Bi-Directional converter?

Then everyone could just use OBD2 interfaces?
.-.-.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
I wonder if you could create an ALDL to OBD2 Bi-Directional converter?

Then everyone could just use OBD2 interfaces?
.-.-.

Not quite how it works unfortunately. Its not as simply as just converting english to chinese and vice versa.

"OBD2" is a broad term describing multiple different languages. To which they are all setup completely different in how they communicate in the car and how the vehicles components respond ect.

Whats required, is an all in one diagnostic cable which can 'speak' every diagnostic language in all the Holden range.
This is whee the new Envy cable will come in :beer chug: *Sounds the trumps*

well the envy cable he has made does both but converting one language to another, i doubt that's possible.

Spot on.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Well my latest prototypes for the Envy cable are working (mostly!).
I accidentally swapped the communication lines and a couple other tiny little things. But after some careful micro surgery on the PCB.. its up and running the way it should be!

Communicating to a VT Cluster, VE BCM, VY LS1 V8 ECU, VE Instrument cluster and radio and a bunch of other parts.

I essentially have 3 full cars of parts all wired up on the bench and can communicate to all of them no dramas!. VERY happy with how its all working!

I would post a picture of it in its case.. although currently it does not fit :rofl2:
I will be amending the design today and getting the next prototypes made up asap!.

Hopefully this next revision will be the finished working product!.. well.. at least for the time being. I may add in some ports for addons or wideband inputs ect.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
haha firing up the 3d printer again to make some new cases.

Not quite :)

Im happy with the design.

Problem is with the little mistakes I made, I have to join the board using wire which ges in the way of fitting correctly in the case lol.

Got 3 new designs on the way...
1) Fixes the little hickups I made on the last one
2) Significantly compresses the entire board using smaller parts (Will need to be machine soldered I think..)
3) Revision that includes ability to add wideband