Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Research and Development Thread!!

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
you-can-do-eet.jpeg

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
You just hold the power button, you don't need to spent all day trying to turn it off :p i think you need more sleep too haha
Walked right into that one :D
I think the lack of sleep may be the problem haha.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
So with about a dozen new kits out in the wild currently, Iv finally had some useful feedback :D

So far, it has been working great.
The bluetooth to the PC needs a little more work since I am using a 3rd party USB bluetooth dongle to communicate with the new scantool, and need a bit more work with that protocol since thats still in its very early stages. It will be much better with a direct bluetooth connection with phones so thatll be great once I get to phone apps.

I also got some interesting feedback in regards to the lights on the device, and I quote "I cant see them so I never know what they are doing, can you chuck them ontop maybe?"

Also, 2 of the 12 users managed to damage the new cable internals by pressing the usb into the Envy cable too hard. It has resulted in damaging the circuit board!!

So.. with that in mind, and knowing it wont be the last, I have redesigned the PCB, so that the USB is central to the case, and the LED lights are on top. Also now has screw points on the PCB to ensure its not going to move.

This also meant redesigning the case to suit the new board. Its now actually smaller and smoother again.

All part of the fun!

New_Front.PNG

New_Back.PNG

vk4akp

Starfire, Fear V Power!!
Reaction score
Website
shazam.zapto.org
Members Ride
2004 VY2 - Commodore Wagon,VC Commodore (Starfire)
Any new expected approximate ETA On these BlueTooth interfaces for the VY Commodore's? Just Googled and revisited the thread to catch up. Very keen to get one .-.-.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Any new expected approximate ETA On these BlueTooth interfaces for the VY Commodore's? Just Googled and revisited the thread to catch up. Very keen to get one .-.-.
No eta, as waiting on the new design to be fabricated and sent to me. If all golden, will be ordering a batch of a couple hundred and get this case design molded and produced.

So.. still putting along. The customers with the last revision are very happy with the end result. Although should be another leap forward in the design with this new revision.

nzv8farmer

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 04 VZ
It's looking great Taz! Can't wait to get my hands on one! Been holding off getting the body diagnostics in hope of this new cable, fuel gauge cal in one car and the other playing up but the kits off fleabay has a airbag fault code from the car it came out of... sigh.

Hope you getting more sleep

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Sleep
It's looking great Taz! Can't wait to get my hands on one! Been holding off getting the body diagnostics in hope of this new cable, fuel gauge cal in one car and the other playing up but the kits off fleabay has a airbag fault code from the car it came out of... sigh.

Hope you getting more sleep
Sleep :D Who even needs that these days.

So. Currently.. Im contacting about 100 different manufactures to make the case for the cable. Its proving to be ALOT more difficult than I was expecting. The minimum order for most of these factories is 10,000 units. So, to put that into perspective, if every case was even $4.. this would mean an outlay of $40k for just a case!!!!!! (grrrr).

So.. Im trying to getting the smallest possible quantity. 100,200 or even pushing up to 500 units would be perfect as a starting point to be able to afford 10,000 units.

3D printing the cases is too slow, I need something all made and done for me otherwise its not going to be viable.

So.. while that fiasco is unraveling, Im working on the software side of things.

One other thing I do need to point out, is the cable will be released with a USB cable. Bluetooth will be onboard although will not be compatible with laptops for a while longer. Technically connects no dramas to smart phones bluetooth so its ready for smart phone apps when I get to those.

But ss for laptops, the USB bluetooth dongle needs a really large quantity buy otherwise it add to much to the kit cost.