Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Research and Development Thread!!

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Finaaaaaaaaaaaly finished the new website: www.envyouscustoms.com
To say it was a huge overhaul is an understatement. Still heaps of content to move over, but its easier to navigate (I hope!) and overall makes it unbelievable easier to work with.

For those with the keen eye, Iv added in a quick blurb about the new cable. Will update with a picture and more information when I can.

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
Can't say i like it honestly, but i never like the new style websites people are making to be more mobile compatible with your style of layout :p

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Can't say i like it honestly, but i never like the new style websites people are making to be more mobile compatible with your style of layout :p
:D All down to personal preference! I tried to keep my quirky flare to it.

One of the important parts of the update was to allow people to have an account to check their previous order, resend automated emails ect. Now thats been implemented, Im trying to see if the softwares licensing can somehow link/tie in with users accounts.

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
:D All down to personal preference! I tried to keep my quirky flare to it.

One of the important parts of the update was to allow people to have an account to check their previous order, resend automated emails ect. Now thats been implemented, Im trying to see if the softwares licensing can somehow link/tie in with users accounts.

lol exactly personal preference and its your website haha.

and yea should be possible to link a licence with a username, plenty of people do it, but yea new software versions to allow for it which means creating accounts for every previous customer.

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
Only problem with todays wireless diagnostic cables (ELM WIFI and ELM Bluetooth), is the ELM was not intended to be used wireless, they dont communicate with a checksum (To validate the data) and do all communication too slowly preventing them from capturing

Track Electronics does a bluetooth ODB1 for Nissan, using it on a Nissan ECU that is odb1, which VT-VX are also odb1 right?

It lets me use Android or Windows apps to read diagnostic from cars.

Why doesn't the same work or made to work for older Holdens?

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Track Electronics does a bluetooth ODB1 for Nissan, using it on a Nissan ECU that is odb1, which VT-VX are also odb1 right?

It lets me use Android or Windows apps to read diagnostic from cars.

Why doesn't the same work or made to work for older Holdens?
Well.. technically, "OBD1" is a very broad term. To be a bit more specific, ALDL would actually be OBD1.5 (Its kinda its own thing!!).

Anyways, a Bluetooth ALDL Cable can easily be made. It can be made to be very small and portable plus I could implement my own "protocol" which would ensure the data received is valid and also quick.

BUT, the issue I have with the making the above, is making a bluetooth ALDL cable is essentially pointless. Realistically everyone requires a cable which can speak more than just one language (ALDL). It needs to be able to do everything from VR to VF and even other models/manufactures. This is why I have never bothered with a bluetooth ALDL.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
I know theres not 'heaps' of people that check this blog, but at least theres a few.

Im wondering if I still need a 'baby' step before a full fledged jump into a new scantool. My biggest setback at the moment is now getting cases designed up, Iv commented about this process before and how expensive this can be. Makes me appreciate absolutely everything thats made with plastic due to the expense involved it getting it molded and produced!

Anyways, as much as I dislike the idea of using ELMs, they do get by for most diagnostic requirements for all VZ and newer.
Iv had a few people suggest making something that uses the scantool.net MX Bluetooth scantools, which uses the same kinda commands as the standard ELMs, but much more advanced and modern. These tools obviously support bluetooth, and allow diagnostics on ALL computers in VE and VF's. But... obviously leaves out everything older (Which I hate the idea of).

So.. it puts me in a bit of a pickle!
My options are:

1) Stick with the new Envy Cable.. save up to produce custom cases (Honestly.. its big $$.. so it has to be perfect!!). The 3D printed cases are too expensive to get a 3rd party to produce, its ~$50 per case which is a huge amount, and printing them myself takes way to long.. and buying more 3d printers ends up costing the same as getting the injection mold done! (Literally pulling my hair out in frustration!!!!)

2) Another baby step, use a prefabricated cable to support all LS1 V8 ECUs, VZ engine/trans and all computers in VE and VF. The vehicles left out is everything else (VR-VY) and the other computers in a VZ. If doing this step, I will have to try merge everything under one roof for the ALDL (Older cars) so that its a all in one application for engine/trans/body for those cars instead of separate applications. I want to have an all in one app as close as possible. even though it may be two programs. Also, want to move away from subscription for diagnostics, and only use for programming.

Another option for option 2.. is develop one program.. but support both scantools to cover all vehicles?? Maybe??

I appreciate anyones thoughts on the matter.. good or bad! Both choices are huge commitments on my end. There may be a third choice, but Im yet to look further into it at the moment.

Frustrated Tazzi... over and out...

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
i have a Scantool MX bluetooth, i use the cables i brought off you more then it :p

I reckon stick with the Envy cable, the all in 1 solution is what will separate you from everyone else in the world and it's a lot handier :), i know i prefer it, 1 cable 1 program and can do the lot it would be alot more of a Go to product then different software with different cables to do different things like it is now.

If thats not possible then 1 software to do both scantools

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Option 3, is make a software which allows connecting to OEM grade tools which use the diagnostic protocol called J2534. Its a standardised protocol, which is actually quite similar to the setup I have on my own custom scantool. The difference is, there is 100's of tools which use this J2534 language so in effect, 100's of different tools can be supported in one hit! For example, Holden and Fords tools use this protocol for their own software.

Theres quite a few of these tools which are 'fairly' cheap...considering they are OEM grade.. so Im spending the next couple days investigating this to see if this could be a step forward.

In the end, I do want my own tool. But may need something to come first.. this may be it. I currently have 200+pages of extremely technical documentation which breaks down this J2534 protocol.. May take the weekend to digest and trial it out.

More to come soon...

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
I'd say it comes down to your business model, if you think you'll only sell these in small quantities, say a couple of hundred cables total, then I would have the cases 3D Printed commercially and charge accordingly.

If your Envy/NVS package is as good as it sounds then most people will happily pay an extra $50 to have the cable now instead of waiting another month [cough]...year...[/cough]!

Even if you estimate your sales to be tens of thousands of units, I think it would still be worth doing a "boutique market" 3D printed run just to get some units in the field and generate some interest in the product.

As far as I can see, your angle here is "one cable to rule them all"? (Apologies to LOTR fans)

There are a thousand Chinese cables on the market that do this or that, and you certainly can't compete with them on price, so you need to separate yourself from that lower-end of the market and having one cable that does any Holden made in the last thirty-odd years will certainly achieve that goal.

Software can be upgraded whenever, but if you compromise on the cable you lose part of your market.

That's my 2c anyway.

Andrew