Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Research and Development Thread!!

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Another standard midnight coding session :p

Just did a very quick video of logging data from a VY BCM. Just wanted to show how quick it is to get up and running and also the dash gauge displays.

Do excuse the lack of enthusiasm in the video, it is after midnight after all :eek:

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Have been nailing down a few little problems with the graphing, and finally to a point which Im happy with.

Iv limited the number of items that can be displayed at once on the graph to 6. Since.. anything more and it gets absolutely mental, plus the additional axis on the left begin to really stack up. And the graph displays the last 5 seconds of information, but everything will be adjustable.

One tiiiiiiny little problem Iv been having.. is the damn colour of the line/legend is not matching the colour of the axis on the left! *Sigh*.. Im sure its a small piece of code which is completely trolling me. For example, the Sunload in the below example is a purple line, yet its axis is displaying a a turquoise (far left axis).

Other than that.. its been working flawlessly.

The data in the image below is just random generated data, just to give an idea of what its going to look like.

graphtemp.png

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
nice, shouldnt have that much more data logging running then that anyway i reckon, it would just be a confusing mess of graphs i reckon.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
It definitely is.

I personally wouldnt run more than 3. But.. one of the most asked things Iv been asked for in previous softwares is to make a graph that can add dozens of items... which really is an extremely bad idea.

So.. Iv made a compromise and allowing 6.

I added every item into the graph to see what happens.. and it was just comprehensible. Looked like dozens of strings all tangled together.

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
I like the Holley EFI system myself, it captures absolutely everything and you just choose what you want to display on playback, kinda like a flight data recorder. If you want to see more parameters then you just play it back again with different options displayed.

Andrew

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
I like the Holley EFI system myself, it captures absolutely everything and you just choose what you want to display on playback, kinda like a flight data recorder. If you want to see more parameters then you just play it back again with different options displayed.

Andrew
This is exactly what I'll be explaining and demonstrating in videos to come.

More than 6 items can be logged at a time, just not more than 6 on the graph. On the replay setup, these can be mix and matched.
I still have to completely design the replay setup... but thinking this will be part of an update.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Overall.. Im pretty happy with the progress happening. Main focus is to ensure data logging and fault reading is working smoothly.

The application is growing in size pretty quick.. its like my own digital baby :p Its almost double the programming lines Iv done in any of my previous projects already.. so Id imagine the end result will probably by 10 or even 20 times more.. should be up in the 10's of thousands, if not 100k plus line of coding.

ReaperTBS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ Lumina, 2010 Calais V
Hey Tazzi,

Nice thread, lots of interesting stuff in here.

Would you know, by chance, what the best option would be (if any) for replacing my Calais's rear drop-down dvd player for something USB compatible? Or even just a screen with hdmi inputs i can plug a gaming console into or something? :p

Also, would that concept be easier or more difficult with a full series 2 IQ conversion? And - does said conversion include full use of all features i currently have available to me? (Steering wheel controls, climate control, all dash displays, etc.).

Sorry for the long winded post! Looking forward to your reply :)

(Edit: i did search through the forum a bit for answers, but after a couple of hours my eyes started to leak, heh)