Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Research and Development Thread!!

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
Just my 2c on the graph:

You could take the approach or add an option of having several graphs, one for each parameter being measured. Pretty much like the HPtuners approach.

I my self toke this approach when writing a software to show data from a device which measured data from accelerometer , gyroscope and a compass on X,Y,Z axis. It was a total of 9 parameter which were making my graph a mess.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Just my 2c on the graph:

You could take the approach or add an option of having several graphs, one for each parameter being measured. Pretty much like the HPtuners approach.

I my self toke this approach when writing a software to show data from a device which measured data from accelerometer , gyroscope and a compass on X,Y,Z axis. It was a total of 9 parameter which were making my graph a mess.
Ahhhhhh yes I understand.

I actually originally toyed with the idea of something like that. I had it setup so that each parameter added a new graph.

This would then divide the space on the graphing space in two (Horizontally) for two equal graphs, and so on so forth.

I might look into putting that in, or at least put an option to select how the graphing is to take place.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Hey Tazzi,

Nice thread, lots of interesting stuff in here.

Would you know, by chance, what the best option would be (if any) for replacing my Calais's rear drop-down dvd player for something USB compatible? Or even just a screen with hdmi inputs i can plug a gaming console into or something? :p

Also, would that concept be easier or more difficult with a full series 2 IQ conversion? And - does said conversion include full use of all features i currently have available to me? (Steering wheel controls, climate control, all dash displays, etc.).

Sorry for the long winded post! Looking forward to your reply :)

(Edit: i did search through the forum a bit for answers, but after a couple of hours my eyes started to leak, heh)

Not really a replacement for the dropdown DVD player. Iv not really looked into a replacement as it its alot of work to make something factory integrate with the car, and not enough demand for something like that.

Next, the series2 IQ upgrade is ultimately the best upgrade for your series1. I would be looking at doing that first before even contemplating tinkering with the roof dvd setup. And yes, all features are maintained when upgrading to the series2 IQ headunit. Infact, you can get more options including reverse camera and navigation which were options on factory series2 vehicles.

ReaperTBS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ Lumina, 2010 Calais V
If i was to go with the series 2 upgrade, would i also be able to swap out the sub amp for my own amp, and switch the drvers for something a little better? Not sure if the amp that's in there with the standard 11 speaker setup is part of the head unit or not :/

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Where the hell had time gone hey! March already.

For those who've called and had a bit of a chat, youd know Im still actively developing but been busy with life (House moving ect).

As for a bit of updates, I will be officially supporting the following J2534 compliant tool: VXdiag Nano.
I have had no problems with this tool, and is by far most affordable.

The downside of the VXdiag nano, is that is does not support ALDL, this means it cannot be used for diagnostics on VY and older. There are obviously other tools which do support ALDL although do cost more unfortunately which begins to blow cheap diagnostics out of the water!

I am actively speaking to the manufacturers for the nano, seeing if they will be willing to develop for ALDL, which sees they are, but they didnt have cars/parts which used ALDL thus unable to develop for it.

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
so still gonna need 2 cables at this stage then :) ah well.

Do you get any weird issues when you plug your ALDL USB in before the car is started that it makes the mouse go skits when the car is started :p using a laptop and windows 7 still so might just be that, just a funny LOL i forget about from time to time when im firing up the diagnostics laptop

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Nah, only 1 cable is needed.

Something like the drewtech Mongoose Pro GM2 cables support ALDL and everything else all in one device. Only problem is they are expensive.

When connecting with the ALDL cable, need to make sure you connect it to the computer first, wait for the computer to recognise it first, and then connect to the car. If you do it too quickly or you plug into the car first, the computer will think the ALDL cable is mouse (Its a bug in windows).

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
Holy **** $500 US for a damn cable, yea that's stupid expensive.

and yea i figured it was something like that, it was just a funny lol thing i do every so often.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Yeeeeeeep! Thats the MRSP (Minimum price that can be advertised) so I legally wouldnt be allowed to provide it at a cheaper price!

Alternatively there is always the road of china knockoffs for gm tools, but this is where quality control goes out the window.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Thats the MRSP (Minimum price that can be advertised) so I legally wouldnt be allowed to provide it at a cheaper price!

Under the ACL, minimum price maintenance is illegal.