Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Research and Development Thread!!

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Under the ACL, minimum price maintenance is illegal.
Australian companies selling the same item and making agreements with one another to state they will not sell for less than a specific price.. yes thats illegal.

In this circumstance, the manufacture/developer will only allow you to become a distributor so long as you follow their rules. In no way do I have any contact or negotiate with other companies or have a say.

When I use the word 'legally', I more mean I would be in breach of their terms and conditions. Another example would be like Apple products, they are the exact same price in JB HiFi as they are in the apple store, since they have a MRSP. If you breach that, basically Apple will no longer distribute to you.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Australian companies selling the same item and making agreements with one another to state they will not sell for less than a specific price.. yes thats illegal.

In this circumstance, the manufacture/developer will only allow you to become a distributor so long as you follow their rules. In no way do I have any contact or negotiate with other companies or have a say.

When I use the word 'legally', I more mean I would be in breach of their terms and conditions. Another example would be like Apple products, they are the exact same price in JB HiFi as they are in the apple store, since they have a MRSP. If you breach that, basically Apple will no longer distribute to you.

Minimum price setting is different to cartel bahaviour or Price Fixing.

Both of which are illegal - https://www.accc.gov.au/business/pricing-surcharging/setting-prices

"It is illegal for suppliers to attempt to set a minimum price for their products or services that retailers can’t sell below (this is known as ‘resale price maintenance’)."

And - https://www.accc.gov.au/business/anti-competitive-behaviour/imposing-minimum-resale-prices

"It is illegal for suppliers to:
  • put pressure on businesses to charge their recommended retail price or any other set price, for example by threatening to stop supplying to the reseller
  • stop resellers from advertising, displaying or selling goods from the supplier below a specified price.
It is also illegal for resellers to ask their suppliers to use recommended price lists to stop competitors from discounting. In most cases, a supplier may specify a maximum price for retail."

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Something I didn't know was this one:

"While selling goods at a below-cost price is usually okay, it may be illegal if it is done for the purpose of eliminating or substantially damaging a competitor"

Basically the little companies are protected against big companies which could run at a loss for much longer. Its good they thought that one through!

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Back to R&D.

Iv been having so much luck with J2534 tools, that Im thinking once I have the new software NVS out and about, that I will add J2534 support to my other softwares so there is some backwards compatibility there.

With NVS, Im still add in vehicle definition information. Its extremely time consuming, as every single module has its own requirements, supported parameters, every last calculation/flag/status ect. Its extremely boring and mind numbing task to be doing data entry.

Because I feel like my mind is slowly deteriorating with the complete bore of data entry, Iv turned my attentions to the licensing side of the program to get that completed up to an acceptable standard. The main thing is I want this to be flexible, so remove from one computer, move to another ect, and also not restricted to just the one laptop, so two licensed computers at any one time.

Another one is for laptops that have failed, but cannot disarm/remove license from it (hdd fail). So either have a system which can detect the same computer to instantly relicense once repaired, or add in a time delay for deactivating a license in a circumstance where that laptop has given up completely.

I want to minimize the actual requirement of internet connection, but there will need to be some sort of check at some stage to allow a flexible licensing, it cannot be permanently offline based otherwise flexibility is no longer viable.

Annnnnnd finally, I will be dropping support for Windows XP for NVS. Simply because XP does not physically run it, as its too old! The newer .net frameworks only run on win7 and newer, Microsoft stopped adding support for XP.

berlina411

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline (Weekender). Truck (Daily)
Just recently bought the ELM327 kit and was wondering what to do about the licensing issue. My laptop is now 8 years old and I am thinking about an upgrade soon. Thanks for thinking about this issue and hope you can come to an easy resolution without too many dramas and headaches. Great software BTW, thanks

waho

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf commodore sv6
anything going on with carplay for vf I see there is one kit available from naviplus

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
anything going on with carplay for vf I see there is one kit available from naviplus
The actual manufacture (who are called navtool) have alot of mixed reviews about their products. Along with alot of people saying its extremely buggy, crashes and overall causes alot of headaches. Keep in mind Naviplus are simply distributors of the product, not the actual developers/manufacture.

I personally havent used it, but was put off simply from the mass amounts of negativity associated with the dev/manufacture.