Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Research and Development Thread!!

vk4akp

Starfire, Fear V Power!!
Reaction score
Website
shazam.zapto.org
Members Ride
2004 VY2 - Commodore Wagon,VC Commodore (Starfire)
Has the .AU BT+USB ALDL adapter emerged yet?
I've had my USA version of same for over a year now.
I guess the .AU version will be more about the custom software to suit our .AU Commodores etc.
Fingers crossed that it will finally emerge from vaporware at some point before my EOL ;)
.-.-.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Unfortunately not. For both business and personal reasons, things are extremely slow.

Iv hit my limitations as a one man operation so either need to merge or hire people. Which anyone as a small business knows is a massive leap and commitment.

The only free time I get to work on new tools/software now is well after work hours (9pm or later) which is usually only for an hour or so.
Work hours are non stop filled with calls, emails and texts along with processing orders and non stop reflashing/programming parts sent in.

I have also basically stopped doing callouts to people here local in Perth due to having such limited free time!

Realistically I need to be full time dedicated to research and development, if that were the case, I would be doing 10-12hours on new products in a single day.. rather than 5(ish) hours in an entire week.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Iv hit my limitations as a one man operation so either need to merge or hire people.

Have you considered approaching a uni about establishing an interm program for students in the field with them receiving extra credit and hands on experience for their efforts ?

Last edited:

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Have you considered approaching a uni about establishing an interm program for students in the field with them receiving extra credit and hands on experience for their efforts ?
Wow. Thats the best idea Iv heard to date.

Internship or even for final year projects (reverse engineering/building circuits/programming/ect). I know the engineering department at the university I went to is quite open to custom projects and work. Plus students are always struggling to find the required vacation work to pass the degree.

Thankyou for that!!!

HoldenVY04

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYV604
that would be amazing to learn if only i lived in WA

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
damn missed the 1 year poke :p
haha Its a bit like that.

Most common question I get these days is "What are you working on these days?!"

So.. for those that are interested, I have teamed up with a USA colleague to help develop a new scantool. Something I have learnt over the years, is theres only so much one man can do, and its why we have to expand and delegate tasks to other so things are actually achievable!

We have the new diagnostic cable currently working with an opensource project called pcmhammer which is an freeware LS1 V8 tuning software. At this time its only suitable for that protocol (For the LS1's), but the next revision cable is the all in one. This has unfortunately been a major step back to completely redesign/recreate the cable into something actually affordable and manageable to manufacture. And instead of trying to 3d print cases, we have made it fit into a pre-existing case (Ones I use for my ALDL) which has been great as easily accessible!

Next, I have had heavily reverse engineering other GM vehicles such as silverados, sierras, camaros and Cadillacs. This has given me a tonne of ideas to use test on our radios here, Im hoping this may give the VF's an out of the box option.

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
ah your working on pcmhammer lol, i got that the other week to play with, managed to read my VIN number with it but that was about it with my bluetooth OBDII Scantool MX, figured it was too slow to really do anything with.

looking forward to the future development :p

Marco59

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs sv6
My Holden Research and Development - All the stuff Im working on

Im sure anyone thats followed my threads/work on the web knows I tend to chatter alot! And try to involve the public in testing/trying things out that Im currently working on.

So I figured why not bring that to JustCommodores, so that everyone can see what I fill my days with and the new mods/applications that Im currently developing!

Lets start with the current projects (Off the top of my head!):
-VN/VP Diagnostic cable
-Bluetooth ALDL diagnostic Cable
-Android/Iphone ALDL and OBD2 application
-VT/VX/VY/VZ Body Diagnostics application (Finished.. currently being tested by a couple JC members!)
-VE Body diagnostics application
-VT-VZ ECU Immobilizer resetting (Allows relinking to BCM/PIM)
-Over the web reprogramming
-Remote Module Flashing
-Custom VT-VE LCD Pod gauges (Plug-n-play)
-Custom All-in-one Diagnostic cable that supports ALL Holdens languages + wideband input + more
-VE Cluster custom startup text
-VE headunits custom startup logos/text
-VF Tyre pressure monitoring system enabling
-VF Steering wheel paddle shifting
-VF Diagnostics application (Collecting parts and basic beginnings!)
-VF Mylink VIM/General reverse engineering
-VF Mylink App development (Official app with GM when/if accepted)

Annnnd, thats just off the top of my head currently!
So why do I have so many? Generally as I progress one project (even if not related) it can actually help progress in other fields which include deciphering algorithms or implementing new routines. Or when I become stumped, I move onto the next idea/work and eventually will overcome the original issue of the previous project from progress made on the new project.

As I start tinkering with things, Ill post updates here with what Im doing and if there will be any lucky (Or brave?) individuals that want to try out the latest inventions.

Im all for requests or ideas as well!. Can never have enough projects... as you can tell :beer chug:
I purchased the ELM327 for my 04 va sv6 and love it. I am learning as much as I can and would love to be involved in
My Holden Research and Development - All the stuff Im working on

Im sure anyone thats followed my threads/work on the web knows I tend to chatter alot! And try to involve the public in testing/trying things out that Im currently working on.

So I figured why not bring that to JustCommodores, so that everyone can see what I fill my days with and the new mods/applications that Im currently developing!

Lets start with the current projects (Off the top of my head!):
-VN/VP Diagnostic cable
-Bluetooth ALDL diagnostic Cable
-Android/Iphone ALDL and OBD2 application
-VT/VX/VY/VZ Body Diagnostics application (Finished.. currently being tested by a couple JC members!)
-VE Body diagnostics application
-VT-VZ ECU Immobilizer resetting (Allows relinking to BCM/PIM)
-Over the web reprogramming
-Remote Module Flashing
-Custom VT-VE LCD Pod gauges (Plug-n-play)
-Custom All-in-one Diagnostic cable that supports ALL Holdens languages + wideband input + more
-VE Cluster custom startup text
-VE headunits custom startup logos/text
-VF Tyre pressure monitoring system enabling
-VF Steering wheel paddle shifting
-VF Diagnostics application (Collecting parts and basic beginnings!)
-VF Mylink VIM/General reverse engineering
-VF Mylink App development (Official app with GM when/if accepted)

Annnnd, thats just off the top of my head currently!
So why do I have so many? Generally as I progress one project (even if not related) it can actually help progress in other fields which include deciphering algorithms or implementing new routines. Or when I become stumped, I move onto the next idea/work and eventually will overcome the original issue of the previous project from progress made on the new project.

As I start tinkering with things, Ill post updates here with what Im doing and if there will be any lucky (Or brave?) individuals that want to try out the latest inventions.

Im all for requests or ideas as well!. Can never have enough projects... as you can tell :beer chug:
I have the ELM327 and I am wanting to learn as much as I can to improve my cars performance. I am more than willing to be a part of what your doing. Regards, Brett.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Bit of an update!

I have been busy working doing commercial contracts for custom programming for companies including reverse engineering modules and developing software for them to use.

While doing this, I have been using a conjunction of both an ALDL cable and a J2534 Scantool (VX Nano). Between these two tools, I have been able to provide easy to use software and kits for the commercial clients to use.

So why do I bring this up? Well.. Im am sick of chasing the unicorn scantool that does everything in one. I have been trying to develop such a tool for multiple years and now am about sick of waiting around! (Let alone everyone else!).
So.. Iv made the executive decision to support TWO scantools which will be the ALDL cable and the VX Nano J2534 scantool. These will be the future tools used for all my software. Eventually if the unicorn tool is ever built, it can be added to the application supported tools.

The only downside is the Nano does have a higher cost than I would like, but it is an industrial grade tool which is extremely capable.

So whats next!?! I think its about time to begin development again and finally have software which will do VR through to VF under one application!!

With that being decided, I will begin communication with the manufacture about stocking these tools and continue development... again. :D