Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Revenue Raisers In Blue

Do you think the Police are just here to raise revenue?

• Yes.

Votes: 18 94.7%
  • No.

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
QUOTE I never asked why

Sorry I wasnt quoting you.

It definitely sounds pretty confusing in S.A and should be regulated a bit better. I see what you’re saying and agree that the state government probably aren't in a great hurry to address the problem. That's an example of revenue raising in flying form They simply don’t want to address the problem because they're making too much money from it. All with the excuse- "We're keeping the roads safe".

I think the confusing part of this topic was the wording Jamie used, it would be thoughtless to say all Police do is raise revenue. They are but pawns in the governments scheming and can’t be held personally responsible.

Jake.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
I agree with you, the police are not just revenue raisers, but do play a small part in it. Yes they have a tough job, and yes there are some bad cops out there.

I am all for safe driving and preventing accidents. I have 3 children of my own, the eldest has her P's, and has already been involved in a nasty accident she caused. Luckily she was not badly injured and the accident served to teach her a good lesson. (It was not the result of speed, just a right turn without giving way) Like all parents, I worry about my children driving and being passengers in cars driven by their friends.

As for this 50kph law, not saying it is a bad thing, I am saying it is a mess here in SA. I would like to see roads clearly marked with the speed limits, save me a few dollars.

On another matter, to do with speed, I would like to see new drivers restricted to driving less powerful cars. Don't often read about a car full of teenagers dead after wrapping their suzuki hatch around a tree, generally they are in 6 cylinder or turbo charged cars. Sadly young males and fast cars often equal tradegy. Please dont flame me on this, it is only a generalisation, I know not all young males are d**kheads behind the wheel, and there are females who are just as bad.

Have a great new year everyone.

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
hey fella's, time for me to put my 2 cents worth in on this 50kmph debate

i live on a street that is goverent by the 50kmph zone law's up here in qld. i have been at the place now for just over 2 years. it's a nice street, the road is in good condition, (as in no pot holes) and there are children living on the street. the street is about 2 km long with a sharp sweeping bend to the left at a angle of about 13degrees, (you go down hill on this sweeping bend) it has lines marked on the roads, and there is diretion arrow's for each direction of traffic flow. now, directly opposite my house there is a nother house on the apex of this bend, and im on the below swep of this bend. in my front yard there is a teleraph pole. currently there is 9 different pain colour's on the pole in my front yard, that's 9 different car's that have gone head on into the pole

at the risk of a public backlash here, the majority of crashes involved modifyed car's with young driver's involved (all still on their p plates) my front fence has been knocked over 2 times, and the neighbour has had his garden ripped up more times than i care to mention. i have a daughter that isnt alowed on the driveway or alowed to play in the front yard, the neighbour wont let his grandkid's park or play in his front yard, neither will the house 2 doors up from me. it's getting pretty bad.

my point is that it should be a legal requirement that driver's attent a driver education programe before getting their provisional licence, and be restriced to a certain capacity car (like motor bikes) for the "provisional year's". e.g. they should only be alowed to drive in a 4 cycl motor for example with frequent road worthy checks done at their own expence. just lowering the speed limit wont reduce the road toal but it is a helping factor in reducing the severioty of the crashes.

the police are just doing a job that no one else wants to do, vnexec350 made a very valid point about what the police actualy do. when i was a young driver my self, i managed to get 2 speeding tickets, i have learnt that speeding isnt the best option, and it is epensive if you get caught.

the police arnt there to raise revenue, and to simply think that is very narrow minded, people who speed are infact in my mind commiting pre meditated murder, you chose to speed, you should own upto your actions and face all penalty's that are infliced on you.

basicly to sum up my 2 cents work in a short sentance, police arnt there to raise revenue, the speedlimit is something that should be adheard to at all times. and the 50kmph is a good thing. people shouldnt be alowed to drive heavly modifyed car's on the road. and driver's need alot more education about how to drive their cars.

basicaly, if you still feel that the police are revinue raiser's in blue, have a realy good look at the pictures that oslo60 posted, and ask your self how you would feel if that happend out the front of your house, or how you would feel if it was you in the back seat of that vp, or even the vl, or what you would do with your self if that was your teenage daughter in her boyfriends car. just imagine what the kid's mum and dad must be going threw right now becaus their son/daughter was speeding. then if you can still sit here and tell me that the police are revinue raiser's in blue you should hand in your liccence, it's people like that which cause crashes and people to die

cheers
garth
p.s. you remember as a kid, when you were naughty your parents would take yoru fravourite toy off you if you did something you shouldnt have to teach you a lesson. well a hard fact in life is that it's the only way to get threw to adults that they are braking the law, hit em where it hurt's the most is what my dad would say, straight in the hip pocket. you speed, you pay, you lose money, you loose your liccence, you lose your job, you lose your house, you lose your car, you lose verything. all because you were racing a car down the highway at 230kmph and thought it was a fun thing to do. choose the speed, choose the consiquence

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
QUOTE (OSL060 @ Jan 1 2004, 03:02 PM) It takes 22.3m to stop doing 50kph and 35.5m to stop doing 60kph.

Sometimes that 13.2m is the difference between life and death.
i am all for 50 km/h limits on side streets, for the same reasons you gave OSL.

however i'd just like to point out that the difference between braking from 40 and 50 km/h can also be the difference between life and death. they could eventually use that reasoning to bring speed limits down to 30 km/h, or however low they want to go.

appropriate speed is what i think most rational people would agree is the best solution. speeding in a residential street should carry tough penalties, in practice i've rarely if ever seen a speed camera in one.

doing 85 clicks over 80 on the average divided arterial road is not the same thing and this is where they put the cameras - because its where the $$$ are.

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
I've got a pretty good example of the where the 50kph law and rational commonsense would of saved an accident and legal bullsh!t.

Approaching the crest of a blind hill on a narrow side street I was forced to go around a parked car that was parked legally but in a stupid place. I went around the parked car exercising as much caution as possible i.e.) having a good look, keeping as close to the parked car as possible and doing so slowly. A 40 year old woman came the other way right at the same time- late for work, foot flat to the floor to get the Magna up the hill @ 60kph, driving an auto so she didn’t think to back off as she approached the blind spot on the crest. Had a head-on collision me doing about 30kph her doing at least 60kph. Wrote off both cars, my car at the time wasn’t worth much. Finally a few months went by, I had another car, new job etc. Got a letter spot on 8mths later from Suncorp Metway Insurance. I was deemed responsible for the accident as I crossed onto her side of the road. It didn’t matter that she was speeding, it didn’t matter that when the cars hit there was a 30cm gap between me and the parked car yet there was almost 1m on her side where she failed to take evasive action. The parked car was also mysteriously gone by the time I managed to get out of the car and make sure no-one was hurt- how convenient.

Moral- if she was just exercising some caution and driving for the so-called "unexpected" the accident wouldn't have happened or at least not caused as much damage. For what it was and how slow I was going both cars were quite a mess.

It's a joke that the government spend all this money on fixed speed camera's for their own profit, yet the local council cant erect a "crest" sign or no-standing signs where they are needed-Widening the road would be too much to ask. The particular hill is still the same 4 years later and I still havent given in to Suncorp Metway.

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
insurance companies are the closest link between mankind and satan. i have also experienced their incompetent attempts at distributing blame. it's done by some desk-jockey and based on simple rules - like the one you gave - rather than judicious consideration of the entire situation.

i once love-tapped the chrome spare wheel holder on the tailgate of a pajero. the claim that came through was for every scratch and dent that the owner had put on the thing over the last 5 years no doubt. how can you damage all 4 corners of a pajero in one crash?? try explaining that to the insurance company: don't know don't care too stupid.

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
Recently, a NZ Parliment select comittee was presented an independant report, that listed the top causes of fatalities on the road. Speeding was way way down the list, things like overtaking on corners, cyclists getting winged, drunk driving, and other acts of stupidity, most of which speed could only be a minor or no factor at all in. However, the Police were quick to rebutt, despite the overwhelming evidence, saying that there was 'plenty' of evidence to suggest speed alone was the cause of road fatalities, although they failed to back this claim up.

I also find the following to be suspect. About 9 months ago, there was a big thing in the media about how Auckland was seriously short of police officers, and that violent crimes were going unpunished as a result etc etc etc. A month later, there was an advitising binge on TV by the feds claiming they had some huge number of new highway/motorway patrol cars. Is this proper division of resources? Considering Police Commissioner (i forget his name) complained a month ago that not enough tickets were being issued, (ONLY 1.2 MILLION in 2003, for a country of 4 million, minus everyone who doesnt drive and you get the idea) I think things on the thin blue line are a little out of focus.

Mike

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
Still I spose they are only doing their job, and the police on the street as many people who have mates in the force know are only doing as they are told. Bloody politicians.

sowdy

Reaction score
Howdy,

Just wanted to have my say;

2 1/2 years ago I was in a serious car accident, coming down a street I have travelled almost every day since I was able to ride a push bike.

Come round a dog leg bend, pissin down rain, couldn't see the car bonnet, was goin to pull over as soon as I got through the bend.....never got through that bend.

24 fractures from the waist down, 8 fractured ribs, in hospital for 3 months, still can't walk and still have a busted left knee.

The road was in a 50km zone, my spedo stoped at 51km, so I was speeding, not by much, but thank **** it wasn't a person I hit, that was a lot of damage for 50km's hence I am in 100% suport of 50km residential zones. Yep, I was wearing a seat belt which was proven to be faulty by an RTA inspector, but can't claim **** all from insurance or compo (I was on my way to visit a client at the time).

Why? Cause the boys in blue came to the conclusion that I would be charged with 'Neg Driving'. (Note: The strech of road where this accident happened was where a truck carrying pool chlorine and a whole bunch of other chemicals had exploded only a month before, the cops that attended the sceen jumped straight out of thier patrol car and feel on thier asses, wish I was consious to see that!)

So I had the pleasure forking over $400 for a neg driving ticket, lost 3 points and me licence, that seems to me to be an example of revenue raising by the police.

I think they need to be in a position to treat every case differently, maybe I'm just havin a whinge, maybe not.

Dave.