Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

/// The Stig's 1992 535i M Spec

thestig

resident misanthrope
Reaction score
Members Ride
E34 535i M - E70 X5 M - E60 M5 - No Fear
Service report

So after a busy long weekend I have done the following:

Replaced -
Fuel Filter, Spark Plugs, Thermostat, Coolant, Oil, Oil Filter, Distributor, Rotor, Radiator Clips, 1 indicator bulb, and a little spring clip in the rear passenger door ashtray.

Repaired -
On board computer, driver's side fold down arm rest, reverse light wiring loom, flick key on remote entry, and factory stereo volume control.

Reconditioned -
Idle control valve, and fuel injectors.

Adjusted -
Valve Clearance

Machined -
Brake Discs

Refitted -
Rear passenger side tyre (it's directional and was on backwards).

Last edited:

thestig

resident misanthrope
Reaction score
Members Ride
Last night I had to replace front shocks as the ones that came with the car would not pass roadworthy due to leakage.

I got my roadworthy today, and am driving to Sale for registration tomorrow.

L8r

Last edited:

thestig

resident misanthrope
Reaction score
Members Ride
an ellipse or two, or three

Ok,

So after the nasty business of registration (thanks to Hakhawk for the loan of his drill mid journey, I was able to fit my slimline plates correctly) I went to get a wheel balance and alignment. Turns out the nice 18" rims aren't all that round. 1 of them is quite eccentric, 2 slightly buckled, and 1 is fine. :(

Having had a look into the availability of replacements I have found it's looking like the too hard basket.

Just when I thought all may be lost, I decided to look into repair.

A quick google search turned up Advanced Alloy Wheel Repairs in Moorabbin. A phonecall and a short drive later I dropped the wheels off for re-rolling and expect the verdict to be in on Monday.

In the meantime I have a set of 15"x7" BMW rims (styling 2) on the car. Which all things considered do not look too bad.

L8r

Addendum:
Advanced Alloy Wheel repairs seem to be a little on the lazy side. They have informed me that the worst of the wheels could not be repaired. After some time I decided to get a second opinion on this from Wheel Works, and they have had no trouble with the repair. So at this stage it's looking like the original wheels will be back on the car.

Last edited:

bj42turbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Executive
Nice Beamer mate

Dazz

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
Looked super clean the other day from what I saw.

Cheers
Mat

thestig

resident misanthrope
Reaction score
Members Ride
patience pays off

After much searching and waiting and then even more searching, I have finally found wheels I am happy with.

Ended up with a set of staggered BMW 18" Style 32 OEM wheels in silver with clearcoat finish - reconditioned as new.

Front 18 x 8, ET 20
Rear 18 x 9, ET 24

This is particularly good as it means I get to reuse the rubber that came with the car.

They were originally off an E39, and are currently being shipped via surface mail to me.

In the meantime here is a photoshopped preview.

uc

Addendum:
Due to problems with the supplier, Finishline Wheels, who originally told me they had stock of these wheels, and a few weeks after taking my order decided that they didn't, I have revisited repair options for the original wheels. See addendum to post above.

Last edited:

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
Nice. Rims work well old ones were fine but these are better

thestig

resident misanthrope
Reaction score
Members Ride
Valve Body Training

Soon I am going to have a go at rebuilding the valve body in my 535i. So I though I would get some practice rebuilding the one out of my old 525i first. As that car was written off by a truck whilst parked outside my house last year, the ZF 4HP22 from it, is, shall we say "expendable". The 525i was an '89 model with a fully hydraulic version of the trans, so there are some differences between it and the one in the 535i which is the later 4 solenoid, 7 pin, electronic/hydraulic (EH) version. There are however more than enough similarities to make this a worthwhile excercise.

So after a lot of study I finally bit the bullet and started pulling the thing apart today. Cleaned up all the parts and am planning to leave it for a few days to see if the systems I have in place allow me to put everything back in the right place.

So far I am happy with the results. It's certainly made me more confident, ready to tackle the 535i. These things are not as complex as you first fear when you start your research.

Photos below:

uc

4HP22 with pan, filter, valvebody, torque converter, and bellhousing removed.

uc

All the cleaned bits of the valve body laid out, note the tub of degreaser for cleaning parts.

uc

A few of the ancillery valve body components all nice and shiny, checkballs and cups in place ready for assembly.

uc

Main valve body plate, filter and o-ring.

uc

Main valve body, without checkballs and cups.

uc

All the bolts are placed in a "map" of where they came from. Checkballs and cups are taped to a page of the ATSG manual in their respective positions.

Last edited: