Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

/// The Stig's 1992 535i M Spec

thestig

resident misanthrope
Reaction score
Members Ride
E34 535i M - E70 X5 M - E60 M5 - No Fear
Aziz Light

In preparations for the upcoming release of Philips 5000 lumen H1 LED headlight package I thought I would pull apart an E34 headlight and look into what to expect when it comes to retro fitting these. Philips claim that they will suit any H1 12V application but I am not so sure when it comes to cooling requirements.

On the headlight assembly there are quite literally
AFGJ81oseApbvTRtGXwgP1zg3P8xURMYnhF6VnFQyVkrq5aR-doVt_8Rg69ZonWTn8BpGkcUV3s33h1WcHoAuaUv6DpLIGweMXp3-tcJDktvlM3XjjM3wNUa8aXS_h6T=s2560

So it was somewhat nerve wracking, replacement parts are hard to come by these days.

Here's what we get once all the major components are disassembled:
AFGJ81rZV_Uhs_gmsUTNiJnf-W8p6JQexgRvE9WEl4LrewlicmxJgn9OECCGDjucAZXyIofRhMqp9Y9JGWusik8u-IVzNabPvhNR8tnnvMjHPoLyTjze7HGrgisNHdEj=s1600

The all important projector:
AFGJ81rEr07LjGWC21X0KSTJ2ZKbbxF5QzRx9uneXHN1OZHAz-HU4wGrPv0XsqRnPMyonxRx6zfjdGJqLrViJJgFmFnW8_d1WCeH1An7e_sjOehWj0WM1fD5bSy_mfAc=s1600

Here is something similar to the Next Generation Philips Kit which I plan to fit once released:
AFGJ81rQ8S71ZRX3y11_4bL8NDiHRMvuwtmy30ttVwxHu8Dh1-wWHUzeFeY0z4d2p1g7LXfqzC2rAD8Oc6Xem3jeCNMQcbtlw7AdDnhQw16sqSIWgL_3fcmgPLuXxK0I=s1600

Here's hoping they make Q1 '16 as I am told they should.

Last edited:

Hoska91

Formerly 75HJPREM
Reaction score
Members Ride
Getz Lyfe & E34 Project
Just read this thread from start to end again stiggy!

I am now on the lookout for an E34 or 32, any advice would be welcome via PM! haha

THe amount of attention to Detail in this thing is astounding love your work mate!

thestig

resident misanthrope
Reaction score
Members Ride
Self Defense

On the way home from work the other day I stopped for petrol, as I pulled into the station the clutch input cylinder performed a comprehensive job of disassembling itself.

I fiddled around with the remnants for 5 minutes and managed to get enough pressure to allow me to select 3rd, in which I drove the remaining 10kms home.

Upon arrival at said destination an informal forensic investigation revealed that it looked a lot like Britney Spears' busted ass.

uc

uc

uc

So I ordered an OEM replacement from Pelican Parts for AU$139.00

uc

Replacement took about 3 hours work all up. But delivery of the parts took longer than expected due to Australian Customs industrial action (6 extra days).
Unions..... Arrest and execute them all I say!

uc

Now I'm back on the road again and trying to stay out of trouble....

Last edited:

thestig

resident misanthrope
Reaction score
Members Ride
Flight Data Recorder (Black Box)

Bought a Dash Cam. Blackvue DR650GW-2CH for $519.00 including delivery, 32GB Micro SD card and Power Magic Pro battery management kit.

Has front and rear channel. WiFi, GPS, 3 axis accelerometer and records 30fps 1080p at the front and 30fps 720p at the rear simultaneously. It has 1 touch format too. :D

The Power Magic Pro allows the system to continue recording after the car is switched off, motion sensor and accelerometer triggered. It will do so until the battery voltage drops below 12V, it will then turn the camera off. This stops the system from draining the battery completely during long garage periods, making sure the car is not left stranded with a flat battery.

I spent Monday night installing it.

So far I would rate it 9/10.

Photos:

uc

uc

uc

uc

uc

uc

uc

uc

Sample Images:

Front
uc

uc

Rear
uc

uc

Software:

uc

Sample Videos:

Front Video
Rear Video

If anyone has any questions reply to the thread or PM me.....

Last edited:

thestig

resident misanthrope
Reaction score
Members Ride
This baby has been on holiday in the exotic surrounds of my garage for the last 12 (now actually 32) months. She's put her feet up and had a chance to relax.

Her Australian birth certificate says she's just about to turn 25, although she actually did that last year. So for her "Birthday" and in preparation for the next quarter of a century she's getting the following:

Distributor cap
Rotor button
Front upper and lower control (thrust) arms
Front upper and lower control arm bushings (upgraded to E32 750i spec)
Front sway bar bushings
Front main seal
Rear main seal
Clutch
Clutch throw-out bearing
Guibo
Main drive shaft, front centering sleeve
Main drive shaft center bearing
Main drive shaft constant velocity joint
Differential mounts & bushings
Main rear sub frame mounts
Inner and outer rear trailing arm mounts/bushings
Pitman arms
Rear link pins
Rear sway bar bushings
Rear wheel bearings
Rear brake ventilation valves
Oil & Oil Filter
Air Filter
Updated flash tune

All OEM supplied parts. A lot of which have been changed out on a purely prophylactic basis, as I think they will be very, very hard to find when they actually need replacing. The only two notable exceptions to this would be the front control arms, and the main drive shaft CV joint. Both of which were in need of attention.

In April, when registration is due, it will be time for Historic Plates.

Last edited:

thestig

resident misanthrope
Reaction score
Members Ride
Today I finally completed the list above, I had been sidelined by health issues and unable to wield a wrench for a while..

And I added this, special delivery from the Fatherland;

uc

Simons Chrome Steel Exhaust system 85x150 mm tip.
plus, an upgraded thermofan, alternator, coil and front brake pads.

So now club plates pending...

Last edited:

thestig

resident misanthrope
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hope the brakes work.

They do! So much so that I may have worn out the front pads during a "test drive" tripping the wear sensor, and throwing an alert on the dash for pads. Which is an issue 3 days before roadworthy. Luckily I had a set sitting on the shelf waiting for just such an eventuality.

Cheers!

thestig

resident misanthrope
Reaction score
Members Ride
On display at the German Auto Show. An annual fund raising event for Deaf Children Australia. There were over 270 cars on display, all pre 1993, from BMW, Porsche, Mercedes, Audi, Volkswagen, NSU, Borgward, Opel and some other, less prolific, German marques. The weather was great, making for a totally enjoyable day spent with other enthusiasts talking serious business about great cars.

uc

uc