Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

/// The Stig's 2009 E70 M Oiler

thestig

resident misanthrope
Reaction score
Members Ride
E34 535i M - E70 X5 M - E60 M5 - No Fear
So, I picked this up recently. Super Tidy!
Full Service History.

2009 BMW E70 X5 3.0d Xdrive (FF42)
3.0L Inline 6 M57TÜ2D30 Turbo Diesel Engine
features: - Aluminum Block/Heads
- Variable Geometry Turbo Charger
- Common Rail Piezoelectric Direct Injection (1600bar)
ZF 6 Speed GA6HP26Z Automatic Transmission
Intelligent Xdrive AWD system
- Rear wheel biased
- Standard 40:60 torque split (F:R)
- Uses multliplate wet clutch system housed on gearbox
- Can distribute up to 100% of engine power to either axle
Active Steering
M Sports Leather Steering Wheel
M-Tech Suspension package
M-Tech Aero package

Stability Control / Vehicle Dynamics
Parking Sensors w/ Parking Distance Control
Reversing Camera
Cruise Control w/ Braking Function
Multizone HVAC
Electric Handbrake
Electric Low Glare Mirrors
Electric Tinted Windows
Electric Sports Seats with Dual Memory
Electric Panoramic Sunroof
Electrochromatic auto dimming rearview mirror
Push Button Start
Keyless Entry
LED Tail/Brake Lights
Xenon HID Projector Headlamps with Angel Eyes
Directional Fog Lamps
Heated Windscreen with Rain Sensor
Electric Tailgate

iDrive integrated vehicle operating system
- 2D/3D GPS Navigation
- Audio, FM/AM, CD (8 Stacker), USB
- Digital TV, DVD Player
- Factory Bluetooth
- Vehicle Status/Diagnostics
- Reversing Camera
Premium 11 Speaker Audio with twin 8" Subwoofer

Paint - Schwartz (Black) Sapphire Metalic (475)
Leather Interior - Nevada/Camel (LUD4)
Fine Wood Burr Walnut Trim

Aftermarket 20" Wheels, semi gloss black Front: 20x11" Rear: 20x12.5"
Bridgestone Rubber, Dueler H/P Sport Front:275/40R20 Rear: 315/35R20

Currently pulling 10.4L per 100Km combined

Production Plant: Spartanburg, SC, USA
Production Date: 2009-05-26

Odometer: 179,200km

Check out /// The Stig's 1992 535i M Spec and/or /// The Stig's 2005 E60 M5 'Magnum Opus'

This car is now defunct and has been replaced by /// The Stig's 2011 E70 LCI Xdrive 40d Sport

Pics:

uc

uc

uc

uc

uc

uc

uc

uc

uc

uc

uc

uc

uc

uc

uc

uc

uc

uc

Last edited:

thestig

resident misanthrope
Reaction score
Members Ride
When are you coming 4wd'ing???

The BMW X5 is an All Wheel Drive SUV with moderate off-road capability, not a full blown 4WD.

The above statement is evidenced by a lack of the following:

- High ground clearance
- Toughened chasis
- Reinforced underbody protection
- Large suspension travel
- Locking differentials
- 4WD (not AWD) with low range gear set in the transfer case
- High-profile offroad/all-terrain tires
- Winch
- Properly mounted and rated recovery points
- Snorkel
- Bullbar

That being said the X Drive all wheel drive system, although designed for superior overall handling, vehicle dynamics and safety in adverse road conditions, does contain a few electronic tweaks that can be applied in an off road scenario.

DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) is the main vehicle dynamics system. It has coded subroutines that use differential wheel braking to emulate locked differentials in crawl speed off road application. No one believes however that is a true substitute for the real thing.

DTC (Dynamic Traction Control) is a driving mode designed to allow wheel spin by modifying the DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) program parameters without disengaging the program completely. It is designed to be used when the vehicle is stuck in snow or mud. Split torque and independent braking is still possible but engine power is not curtailed by an over intrusive traction control system. It can also be used for 'spirited' sports driving (read induced drifting) on snow, ice and loose surfaces such as gravel and sand.

HDC (Hill Descent Control) engages the vehicle's standard cruise control, with automated braking, in conjunction with DSC and ABS to hold the vehicle at a steady low speed commanded by the driver (<25km/h forward, <7km/h in reverse). It is particularly helpful when driving on changeable, loose or slippery downhill surfaces, such as gravel, snow or grass. It ensures excellent stability while still preventing the wheels from locking if the brakes are applied on a slope, whilst retaining full control over steering.

X Drive as it was designed:

Taking all the above into consideration brings me to the following summary as an admittedly verbose answer to your ostensibly simple but genuinely multifaceted and complex question:-

This particular vehicle was purchased to drive on sealed roads. However, unlike the rest of my vehicles, past or present, it does have a chance of being driven on unsealed roads. It will definitely see snow and ice covered roads. It might even see the odd beach or "dirt track" in a more rural setting.

Given my knowledge of your propensity for the extreme (most would say, outright ridiculous) when it comes to automobile use (read abuse), I feel it necessary to set down incontrovertible ground rules well in advance.

The above listed vehicle will under no circumstances be going 4 Wheel Driving with you, or any of your associates. Such an exercise, although ripe with anticipation and hilarity for everyone else could only possibly be bursting at the seams with "hidden" expense and unnecessary hardship for me!

I will say however, that I would be willing to go 4WD'ing in the vehicle I purchase following the next. Until then I am happy to enlist my brother's help and come 4WD'ing in the vehicle shown below.

uc

Last edited:

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Sooo all of the drawbacks of 4WD without any of the benefits. Ignore all that namby pamby press bullshit - push it's limits. Don't get suckered by the brochure aimed at lefty latte sipping soccer mums of Toorak. Stand up for your chosen car. Show us what it's capable off. Take photos and video and even the odd panel beating bill to show us all how tuff it is.

thestig

resident misanthrope
Reaction score
Members Ride
Sooo all of the drawbacks of 4WD without any of the benefits. Ignore all that namby pamby press bullshit - push it's limits. Don't get suckered by the brochure aimed at lefty latte sipping soccer mums of Toorak. Stand up for your chosen car. Show us what it's capable off. Take photos and video and even the odd panel beating bill to show us all how tuff it is.

First up: I reject your use of the terms "all" and "any". They are absolutes and not suited to describing the differences between a wide spectrum of vehicles. You can't paint a world of colour with only black and white in your palette without gross inaccuracy. A term I would definitely use to describe your statement.

Secondly: I reject the premise that the vehicle's sole purpose is to be "tuff". If that was my goal I would have purchased something else.

Thirdly: I reject the accusation that I have fallen prey to marketing aimed at left wing, female, latte drinkers from affluent suburbs. Vegan or otherwise!

Furthermore: Having known me for as long as you have, what errant and delusional part of your brain thinks that I would ever subject a vehicle that I care about to the abuses of extreme off roading? As I intimated in my post above....

I might be given to grabbing some kind of dirty brawler with a patch over one eye and a scar the length of its face after I've slotted the E60 m5 into my garage.. Then you would have a fair chance of being witness to extremes of stupidity that would embarrass even you! o_O

Last edited:

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
for a car thats done 180 clicks, the interior is immac

thestig

resident misanthrope
Reaction score
Members Ride
So whats its top speed :p i'm sure you must know by now :)

Actually I "knew" before I bought it. The spec sheet tells me it's capable of only 216km/h.

There is a lot of drag to overcome, however, I am sure that it is capable of this on private roads.

To be honest though, I am not that interested in the top speed of this vehicle:-

1. It's lower than my E34
2. It's a lot lower than the car I am currently in the middle of buying (new thread to appear soon, stay tuned).

thestig

resident misanthrope
Reaction score
Members Ride
so when you moving to toorak?

I'm not planning too. The traffic density is too high, and I think there would be a significant number of well financed noise complaints....

All caused by my new Meisterschaft GTC Stainless Steel Exhaust with wireless remote control!

uc

uc

uc

Sorry for poor photo quality, but I was in a rush.

Last edited: