Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

/// The Stig's 2009 E70 M Oiler

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
Wow. That looks like a serious bit of kit

thestig

resident misanthrope
Reaction score
Members Ride
E34 535i M - E70 X5 M - E60 M5 - No Fear
Wow. That looks like a serious bit of kit

You'd hope so for the asking price..

AU$10,440.00 plus delivery from the Ulcerous Sphincter of Arserica

:eek:

thestig

resident misanthrope
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah so, a colour blind ice addict behind the wheel of a Golf GTi ended the X5 prematurely.

Replacement sourced after a 3 week argument with insurance company over agreed value versus market value in times of the virus, and the difference between base models and motorsport variants. Photos and spec of the new Oiler to follow, possibly in its own thread...

For the time being, just glad to be out of the hideous hire car (Mitsubishi Outlander).

uc

uc

uc

And then 1 hour later the real f*cking began. :(

uc

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@thestig just read through this thread... nice car, nice writing style :cool:

Pity i can’t see any pics within your last two posts; just little empty boxed placeholders so not sure what’s going on there :eek:

Of interesting is the 3 weeks of (probably) intermittent discussions that you had with the insurance company around agreed value / market value, your model variant and the COVID induced price follies... Do tell more :cool:

Always liked those X5’s but packaging made some engine maintenance somewhat painful $ wise, especially those crappy leaking $10 O-rings behind the oil bypass/coolant adapter plate / alternator bracket.

As I said, nice car but sadly it doesn’t take much to write them off once they start to get a little on the older side of new as parts cost a bomb...

thestig

resident misanthrope
Reaction score
Members Ride
@thestig just read through this thread... nice car, nice writing style :cool:

Cheers, there are much longer threads for my other two BMW's if you're interested. The links of which are at the beginning of this thread, or in my signature.

Pity i can’t see any pics within your last two posts; just little empty boxed placeholders so not sure what’s going on there :eek:

My pics are hosted on google drive. Some apple devices occasionally have issues displaying them, I assume due to some google/apple dispute over protocols or server access, a la the notorious apple v flash saga of decades now past. Try viewing on something that hasn't been tainted by the fruit of fascists.

Of interesting is the 3 weeks of (probably) intermittent discussions that you had with the insurance company around agreed value / market value, your model variant and the COVID induced price follies... Do tell more :cool:

I had an agreed value policy with AAMI that had depreciated below current market value. The lack of new car stock due to COVID has driven second hand car prices up considerably in recent months. To further complicate the issue, AAMI are unable to select and allocate the correct model for this car to any policy, they do not have the variant on their database. So they undervalued it. In the end we put in a complaint and threatened action with the AFCA. An overly complex and painful solution was reached where AAMI paid out the total loss as per their contract policy, and Suncorp (the at fault party's insurer, who own AAMI) paid out the difference between the AAMI total and what was reasonable. It was a bit of shitfight but we ended up with some 30% more over and above what was originally being offered. Not to mention that AAMI towed our car to 3 separate locations prior to misplacing it for a week at a fourth, and finally getting around to assessing it 17 days after the incident. Our new machine is insured with QBE.

Always liked those X5’s but packaging made some engine maintenance somewhat painful $ wise, especially those crappy leaking $10 O-rings behind the oil bypass/coolant adapter plate / alternator bracket.

As I said, nice car but sadly it doesn’t take much to write them off once they start to get a little on the older side of new as parts cost a bomb...

This one had been a real gem. 260,000 clicks in and only a single issue, a belt pulley. I do almost all work on my cars myself, parts can be had cheaply from overseas, insurance companies and local repairers simply won't make the effort to find the savings that can be had, not that they should. In this instance the airbags, seat belt pre-tensioners and dash panel replacements were enough to kill off the possibility of repair. The right chassis rail was also bent, but not beyond saving if someone was to put in the effort.

The hit was actually a lot harder than the pictures indicate, the GTi was estimated to be travelling in excess of the speed limit (80kph) through the red light, there were no skid marks evident on the road. Luckily it was more of a glancing blow. My Mrs, who was driving, spent some time in hospital with concussion, severe bruising from the seat belt, and suspected internal bleeding. Thankfully, she is fine now!

Last edited:

thestig

resident misanthrope
Reaction score
Members Ride
This is the main thing.

It was touch and go for a while. For example, once out of hospital, she allowed herself to be talked into test driving a Mercedes GLE350D. Upon the conclusion of the test drive I immediately suggested that we return to the hospital for an MRI of her head.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Try viewing on something that hasn't been tainted by the fruit of fascists.
Best description of the Apple ideology with their walled garden... fruit of fascist :p:p:p

I’ll use the fruit of fascist wannabe, known as Windows to others, and check out your pictures:cool:
My Mrs who was driving spent some time in hospital with concussion, severe bruising from the seat belt, and suspected internal bleeding. Thankfully, she is fine now!
Glad she’s fine.

What enfuriates me is that these dipshits negligent drivers that cause such crashes tend to get off with rather low levels of punishment. The worst case I personally know of is a friend of a friend who was walking home from the train station because his wife who was to pick him up was running late. He was on the footpath and hit and squashed against a brick wall by some drugged out disqualified driver. This lowlife didn’t really give a **** other than what their lawyer told them to care about. She got 6 years jail for killing someone and was out after a little under three years... Absolutely pathetic since the wife still still blames herself and has struggles to this day (over a decade after this occurred)...

thestig

resident misanthrope
Reaction score
Members Ride
Best description of the Apple ideology with their walled garden... fruit of fascist :p:p:p

I’ll use the fruit of fascist wannabe, known as Windows to others, and check out your pictures:cool:
Glad she’s fine.

What enfuriates me is that these dipshits negligent drivers that cause such crashes tend to get off with rather low levels of punishment. The worst case I personally know of is a friend of a friend who was walking home from the train station because his wife who was to pick him up was running late. He was on the footpath and hit and squashed against a brick wall by some drugged out disqualified driver. This lowlife didn’t really give a **** other than what their lawyer told them to care about. She got 6 years jail for killing someone and was out after a little under three years... Absolutely pathetic since the wife still still blames herself and has struggles to this day (over a decade after this occurred)...

Best not to get me started on the injustice inherent in our so called "justice system". We'll be here for the rest of eternity, and not talking about cars.