Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The stupidity of tamper proof hex/torx bolts

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Slightly off topic, torx bits make great ezy-outs. ;)

Yande

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim Wagon
If someone wants to steal my roof racks, they are going to go to friggin Bunnings .....
.. I would like to move my roof racks and can't seem to find my key. ....

A trip to.....Bunnings?

shueardm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
A trip to.....Bunnings?
Yes, The hex key or torx key with security can be purchased in small inexpensive screwdriver bits.
Admittedly the hex ones are harder to find as "keys" but they are not hard to get as bits.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You can buy the Tamperpfoof Torx bits at Bunnings
In an Allen key configuration:
https://www.bunnings.com.au/kincrome-25-piece-tamperproof-torx-keys-set_p6120204
Or you can get them as sockets as well:
https://www.bunnings.com.au/kincrome-11-piece-tamperproof-torx-screwdriver-set_p6120664

Makes the whole thing of being "Tamperproof" a joke when Joe Blogs can walk in of the street and buy a set

I have had set of socket drive ones for years bought them from Adelaide Tools..... The security screws are only there to stop an honest thief..... Roof rails on the wife's car have a key to lock them with. Better than torx but not 100% secure.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Security torx aren’t quite as easy to find sometimes. When replacing my clock spring a couple of years back it took me a long time to find a set. Supercheap even keep them now though. Standard torx are everywhere.

It’s like the lock you see on certain items in a retail store. They wont stop all theft, but they remove the convenience/reduce the opportunity for thieves.

I have no issue with torx, plus they seem to be more reliable than hex cap head bolts anyway. More mechanical drive/surface area etc i suppose.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Security torx aren’t quite as easy to find sometimes. It’s like the lock you see on certain items in a retail store. They wont stop all theft, but they remove the convenience/reduce the opportunity for thieves.

Bunnings ones are way less than the $95 I paid 10 or more years ago for a set of Teng ones. I noticed years ago that phone boxes have them on their signage. I used to think wow where in the hell would you get a tool to undo those screws? Once I bought my Teng torx kit it was like oh, ok. I had to buy a set when I owned the Jeep as they are used a lot on them, not security but just regular torx heads.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
I've got a set of sidchrome torx sockets and tamperproof torx allen keys and they are an exact match size for size & spline for spline.
As most people would know, the tamperproof torx sockets & allen keys have a hole in the middle of the bit and the regular torx bits don't.
I removed a few large Tamperproof bolts by breaking off the little tab in the middle of the bolt with a small pin punch or a screwdriver, and then using the standard torx bit.
A bit rough, I would say most definitely, but I didn't have the correct tools way back then and it got the job done without damaging anything so was a win at the time.