Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Super Duper Timing Chain Thread!

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
nukerat,
i would be investigating whether the crank gear has moved on the crankshaft
chain issues were on models prior to 2009
and you have had yours done which pretty much guarantees they will be fine, unless cheapo parts were used

Nukerat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Wagon
pretty much guarantees they will be fine, unless cheapo parts were used
Yeah the mechanic who did the first set won't return my calls so a little worried about what parts he used.

bre72

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE sv6
Braintrust I am in need of some advice and help.

Have a 2010 VE SV6 Sportswagon - LLT which I purchased second hand back in 2014 with 100k kms on the clock. Ran perfectly until the start of 2018 206k kms and the dreaded cam chain stretch hit. But after having the chains done it ran better than ever and served faultlessly until December. We had just done 1000km round trip with no problems. I check oil in the middle and was a little down but nothing to alarming and only needed topping up (maybe a litre?) A few days after returning from out of the blue she started throwing warning lights, loss of power, shuddering, shaking and sometimes would just conk after starting. Was able to get it to a mechanics who ran a scope and got a bunch of error codes off. Error code were P0016 P0300, P0305, and P0703 (Have attached the picture the mechanic sent me). This mechanic only really did servicing so needed to find someone else. This is where the first of the issues started.
I rang around and only found one service centre even willing to look at it. So a tow later and a weeks time they come back to me saying the timing chains have gone again but this doing damage to some of the engine. They have told me to even get to some of the problems they have to take the engine out, then it is the minimum expense of the timing chain and labour etc. They have told me that it would be cheaper to put a new engine in. Of course you need to be able to find a LLT engine that is suitable. All I can find are high Kms from wrecks that I could almost buy a new car for. Hell I can buy a new LFX crate for less than I have been quoted for a LLT with 149000 on it.
I guess what I am asking is just some advice.

I should also mention the reason the car has high average yearly Km's, is until recently it was based in the country and long trips were the norm.

Thanks to those who read the long post.

i have a similar issue LLT engine after having doing the chains mine runs rich with a strong fuel smell outside all the time sluggish to shift gears but still plenty of power. i need to find someone who is experienced with the issue as i dont want to replace the chains if that isnt the issue. im frustrated

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
i have a similar issue LLT engine after having doing the chains mine runs rich with a strong fuel smell outside all the time sluggish to shift gears but still plenty of power. i need to find someone who is experienced with the issue as i dont want to replace the chains if that isnt the issue. im frustrated
If running smoothly and plenty of power it doesn't sound like timing chains. Might need a good mechanic with proper scan tool to investigate. They will be able to see why it's using so much fuel.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
It sounds like stuffed injectors. Being piezoelectric they need to be primed before starting. It's not 100% but it's possible the injectors failed due to not being primed.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
It sounds like stuffed injectors. Being piezoelectric they need to be primed before starting. It's not 100% but it's possible the injectors failed due to not being primed.
fuel would have been at the rail within a couple of seconds
i doubt this would hurt them

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
found a good utube with scope data for timing chain diagnostics part 1 and part 2

PaulMcGTS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Special Vehicles GTS 2007 VE Sedan 6.0 i V
I'm going to assume llt is a VVT type engine but it could be a multitude of problems. If the mechanic that done the job didn't line up each chain correctly on the timing marks and even just one chain is out one cog that would do it. A Cam phaser could be sticking, Tiny oil chanels that advance and retard timing could be blocked and I think it's 9 sensors directly responsible for correct timing. The crank angle sensor included. You need to run a scan tool and see what codes come up. Then go from there.

Revhigh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VF Maloo
Check the purge solenoid, if in good condition, get some live data mapping, could be an issue with a cat converter, 02 sensors, MAF etc. Depending on kms I'd recommend a carbon clean.