Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Super Duper Timing Chain Thread!

Discussion in 'VE Holden Commodore (2006 - 2013)' started by ducker85, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Simon12312

Simon12312 New Member

Members Ride:
    2006 VE commodore LY7 High Output engine
    If anyone could help me that'd be great, my 2006 ve commodore (high output alloytec motor) had the engine light come on so I hooked it up to my scan tool and it said the timing needed to be replaced, I bought the parts and alignment tools but I'm having a problem where the exhaust cam on the LH bank keeps jumping from the spring pressure of the valve springs I guess. This doesn't happen on the RH bank. It's like the exhaust cam can't keep up with the intake cam, leading to the chain having loads of slack and then the valve springs make the camshaft turn rapidly and skip a few teeth, this happens just about every revolution.

2. Glenn D.

Glenn D. New Member

Members Ride:
    ve sv 6 z-series
    Yeah another ve timming chain bought my 2012 sv6 z off the floor stoked yeah now with this timming chain not happy even more so after seeing how many out there have the same,and unless im mistakn dont holden have a fix for this as in a different pitch chain or somthn ? Well i rekon if thats the case they pretty much all but admit that they have sold a faulty product,,
    Has anyone hit up holden to foot the bill,?
    I have sent them an email as well as the dealer i bought it from asking rhem too as it is such a wide spread problem there near got a leagle prob,i duno but thats what i said so i will see how it goes and if i have luck will post,i may have a chance as im the 1st owner ,has anyone gone down this road with holden?

3. Glenn D.

Glenn D. New Member

Members Ride:
    ve sv 6 z-series
    Well i have had a reply from the dealer i bought the ve from and they said as a sign of good will they will do a diagnostic for nothing and send it to holden and i have a good chance of them paying for it" well it maybe a ploy to get my car in so they can pull it apart then i have to get them to fix it regardles,but they have been pretty good so far with small prob's like door acctuators and air con hose ect. ( the more i think about it the sader i get over theese nagging little problems over the years since i 1st drove my lovelly ,2012 sv6 z series home, and of course comming into summer my air con has gone again, raaaaghh))
    But it maybe a start ,and a bit of hope for us ve owners at least, unfortunatly i cant put it in till the new year and in the mean time,NO DRIVING AWAY FOR X MASS HOLLIDAYS wich is a shame as i love my krissy holy drive,sum1 say hire car V8 calais yeah!
    Merry xmass ,i hope

4. Glenn D.

Glenn D. New Member

Members Ride:
    ve sv 6 z-series
    Sorry i know i offer no solution except a winge, but when i get a reply from holden i will post

5. Revhigh

Revhigh Member

Members Ride:
    Holden VF Maloo
    For our timing chain customers in Victoria Revhigh offers a free hotwash then sonic cleaning service normally valued at $250 when we do timing chains. As far as I am aware, Holden does not even offer this service!! :)

Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

Install option 1
    Genuine kits are $999 plus $70 for oil and coolant.
    3 x chains
    1 x heavy duty oil filter
    6 x guides
    3 x tensioners
    1 x Gasket kit
    1 x labour
    1 x rocker covers and timing cover hotwash/sonic wash
    3 x sprockets

(Recommended) Install option 2
    $1080 plus $70 for oil and coolant
    3 x chains
    6 x guides
    3 x tensioners
    1 x Gasket kit
    1 x labour
    3 x sprockets
    1 x Genuine Oil Pump
    Extra warranty coverage

Install option 3 (for heavily sludged vehicles, sump is taken off and hot washed then sonic washed)
    $1330 plus $70 for oil and coolant
    3 x chains
    6 x guides
    3 x tensioners
    1 x Gasket kit
    1 x labour
    3 x sprockets
    1 x Genuine Oil Pump
    1 x extra labour for sump removal and cleaning
    Extra warranty coverage

Added extra's
    - Thermostat $35
    - Spark plugs $45
    - Ignition coils $28 each
    - Other servicing, spare parts, diagnostics etc.

Family Truckster and Xplaya like this.
  6. Gundolini

Gundolini New Member

Members Ride:
    2010 VE V6 Commodore
    IS this as common a problem with a MY2010 3.0l SIDI engine? as the partners car cut out in traffic & would start again, it turns over but won't fire, after a tow truck ride home I borrowed a scan tool which threw up codes P0016-00, P0017-00 & P0018-00 but nothing else.
    EDIT: Just had a mechanic with a lot of VE commodore experience look at the car & found that the crank position sensor has actually failed

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  7. Ozmik

Ozmik New Member

Members Ride:
    VE SeriesII Calais V6 Wagon
    Hi all, Mike here. New to the forum but have read heaps on the dreaded P0008 error.

My ride:
    2010 VE S2 V6 Calais Wagon.

1st had this error last year at about 100000kms.

After all the diagnosis I had done and ridiculously high quotes from dealer to fix, I had the chains and gears changed by a mechanic in Cheltenham.

Code reset after this and all was good for about 6 months and now the silly code P0008 is back.

I'm an Electronics Engineer in my day job so this puzzle is annoying me and sounds like an electronic fault. Here's what I'm doing, maybe it makes some sense to someone:

To start with, car drives fine, lots of power, all good.

Without notice, the power dies and it sounds like its being strangled.

If I drive it like this for about a day or 2, then the Engine light comes on and the P0008 code is present (via scanner).

Now, I'm trying this. When the power dies, before the dash engine light comes on, there is a pending code P0008, not a stored code, so I jump on it and reset it and hey presto, the power is back and it drives well again, sometimes for many days.

For this to happen so deliberately seems to me like its a programmed function in the ECU to drop power etc. I write code for micro controllers all the time so I know how easy it would be. Is there a temperature sensor in the mix here too that might explain why it comes on at different times?

I've read about some new parameters for this alarm DTC. Is a dealer the ONLY one who can get these parameters into the ECU or does anyone know of anyone (I'm in Melbourne) who can update these limit parameters? I'm sick of dealers and their inflated quotes.

I thought it might be an intermittent CAM sensor. It might be worth swapping the bank CAM sensors to see if the code swaps to P0009 for the other bank instead? Has anyone tried this?

Cheers.

8. Rob.....

Rob..... New Member

Members Ride:
    WM STATO

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  9. Ozmik

Ozmik New Member

Members Ride:
    VE SeriesII Calais V6 Wagon
    Thanks Rob,
    Some earlier reading before I had the chains done suggested high oil change frequency. I even had a Dealer say he would reject the engine completely if it had not been serviced regularly. I now change the oil every 5k to 10k so I doubt that is the culprit.

I might tackle the CAM sensor swap and see if the error swaps to P0009. Its cheap to do and will eliminate the sensors in one go. I've never seen the P0009 error so its worth trying.

Rob..... likes this.
  10. HarryHoudini

HarryHoudini Active Member

Members Ride:
    1991 VN ..2012 VE Sportwagon.
    Anyone know a reasonable mechanic to replace Chains on a VE in the Tweed Heads/Gold Coast or Lismore area........TIA

11. gungazza

gungazza Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
    bloddy legen

12. gungazza

gungazza Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
    5 ks

13. VFSV6FORME

VFSV6FORME Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF SV6 STORM Series 1
    Geeeee the V6 Alloytech are a joke now because there are getting old. I look at 5 second hand VE's from Gumtree that have done 130,000 to 170 K on the clock and most of them had a engine light on and the owner said its nothing!!! but the owner got concerned when I plugged mt Notebook via the OBD2 port in and I found P0008 or 9 and told them you have a timing chain issue and thats expensive to fix.
    On all the 5 cars inspected I told the owners not to start the engine as I want it COLD engine to start with and out of 5 two of them when I started the Engine for the first few second I heard a HORRIBLE Sound coming from the engine No Not a Bearing Knock but it was a sound that something was banging against something like a chain hitting the alloy cover or something like this.

15 minutes before I posted this post I saw on Youtube a Video, a guy that put a 20 seconds video how his car sounds like when you start it up and REV it a Little.
    Yep it sounded like that. It was nearly as bad as the Video.

14. VFSV6FORME

VFSV6FORME Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF SV6 STORM Series 1
    Very interesting Video why the Alloytec engines stuff you.

figjam likes this.
  15. VFSV6FORME

VFSV6FORME Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF SV6 STORM Series 1
    Sound like this.

16. Brettly-2008

Brettly-2008 Active Member

Members Ride:
    WM Statesman - VE SS Commodore
    It's the sound of the chains minus the full oil pressure of its tensioners, hence why it goes away after a few seconds. Nothing to worry about. OHC Falcon motors make the same noise on cold start. It's also got nothing to do with the chain issues of a batch of early alloytecs. Give me chains driving my camshafts over snappy-snappy rubber belts any day of the week!

17. figjam

figjam Donating Member

Members Ride:
    Monaro CV8, Cross 6 Crewman, Territory Ghia.
    I’ve seen that video a couple of times, it makes sense, love his advice to ‘piss the PCV off and do something else’. And thought, I should do that.
    But he does not offer any advice as to what should replace it.

I’m don’t want to be going the ‘catch-can’ route, and I’m not doing it myself, (my days of farnarkling engines is over, like the carburettor days), I want to be able to say to a qualified mech “Clean out my rocker cover, and stick this on it”

Has anyone actually fitted a better breathing PCV, what was it, how was it fitted, and is it successful.

18. VFSV6FORME

VFSV6FORME Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF SV6 STORM Series 1
    Yes this is interesting to know

19. VFSV6FORME

VFSV6FORME Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF SV6 STORM Series 1
    So when the car is stopped for while and you start it over night you have the tensioners which are relaxed with no tension on the chain but when you start the car oil pressure drive the tensioners to tighten the chain thus the noise goes. Also I have noticed that if you start the car and let it run for 2 minutes or more and turn it off then re start it again after 5 minutes it as quite as a mouse. Am I correct in the above.

20. Brettly-2008

Brettly-2008 Active Member

Members Ride:
    WM Statesman - VE SS Commodore
    That's correct, and the problem is exacerbated with age/wear and in OHC engines due to the length of the chains.