Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Super Duper Timing Chain Thread!

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
What if there are no error codes on the screen? But lots of noise? I have my SV6 2011 SIDI in getting the timing chain looked at today but haven't had error codes, just lots of noise.

I would say the chains or related to it, even just a guide that may have snapped inside. I would definately do a tear down to the chains and see what it is.

Ive heard of another person on here that was not getting any codes as well that needed chains / guides replacement.

Last edited by a moderator:

Edz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V6 60th Anniversary
Talked to the service manager yesterday while getting my car serviced about cam chains and warranty. He said the only ones they'd seen that had problems were the ones where the owners didn't get regular oil and filter changes. He said there's 2 little oil squirters on the chains that block up if you let the oil get too dirty.

pebbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series 2
Talked to the service manager yesterday while getting my car serviced about cam chains and warranty. He said the only ones they'd seen that had problems were the ones where the owners didn't get regular oil and filter changes. He said there's 2 little oil squirters on the chains that block up if you let the oil get too dirty.
Holden built these motors to a price.
Take a look at the size of the oil filter and ask yourself again if 15000 k between services is a good idea.
Its way to small and holden know it.
They went to 15000k services by increasing the sump size, they should have also increased the filter size.
7500 - 10000 k max between services is more sensible.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Holden built these motors to a price.
Take a look at the size of the oil filter and ask yourself again if 15000 k between services is a good idea.
Its way to small and holden know it.
They went to 15000k services by increasing the sump size, they should have also increased the filter size.
7500 - 10000 k max between services is more sensible.

I have noticed that smaller oil filters are a trend these days, compared to say an Ecotec engine oil filter, every oil filter on the cars I have now is a lot smaller than they used to be. Apart from my VX an VE V8's I also have a 2012 Fiesta and a 2008 Forester, and a few years ago had a 2006 Lancer 2.4 - all are small filters in comparison to cars that I have had over the years - I had to buy a new oil filter spanner/ wrench when I got the Lancer back in 2010, as the one I have used for years wasn't suitable for these smaller filters, and any car I have had since have been the same. The Holden V6 filter is smaller than any of them, I guess in part as you are only buying the filter cartridge. Given the amount of problems you hear about with these V6's it makes sense to look after them, do the changes less frequently than 15,000 Km, 12 months and do it with correct grade quality oil. Just doing one more service over a 2 year period (so at least every 8 months, on the basis of 15,000Km pa this would mean 10,000Km), should help to maintain your car in much better condition than going a full year between services.

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
To those of you getting sensor codes thinking the timing chain has stretched, you can swap the sensor on each side of the engine to confirm it is a chain or a sensor. I had P0018, and it was just the sensor was failing a particular temperatures. The sensors will take most people under an hour to swap left to right and can save you thousands. If the code changes to the other side it's the sensor, if it stays the same, it's the chain.

If anyone gettin codes with no rattling, I would def do this first.

Last edited:

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
Got mine done at Revhigh.com.au $999 inc genuine parts and inc labour. Oil is extra or supply your own.

Mike Ryder

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve commodore
i had a ve omega v and i just did a timing chain, it took about a month for holden to figure out what the problem was but she's fixed now and has a stronger chain
What was the car doing to figure out they were no good,

Revhigh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VF Maloo
$999 for genuine or cloyes kit plus labour!!

Now also doing Genuine kits for the same price!

Last edited:

Revhigh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VF Maloo
Just posting this here off another thread.

4 timing chain installs this week.
- 2007 Calais LY7 V6 147,000km, new timing chain spark plugs and oil pump fitted
- 2010 Commodore LLT V6 100,05km, spun a main end bearing, fixing it now.
- 2010 Commodore LLT V6 137,000km, needs a new timing chain
- 2008 Omega LE0 175,000km, timing chain and gears needed.

They all vary but majority of them are under 200,000kms. I personally don't believe the revised chains fixed the problem, specially with long service intervals.