Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Super Duper Timing Chain Thread!

Jon the piss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Calais v 6ltr 08
Just had my chains and tensioners done at Ultratune Salisbury for $1950 with a new water pump, I got about a dozen quotes and they ranged from 1950 all the way up to 4500 so it pays to shop around. Hopefully that helps some Adelaide people out too.
Just posting this here off another thread.

4 timing chain installs this week.
- 2007 Calais LY7 V6 147,000km, new timing chain spark plugs and oil pump fitted
- 2010 Commodore LLT V6 100,05km, spun a main end bearing, fixing it now.
- 2010 Commodore LLT V6 137,000km, needs a new timing chain
- 2008 Omega LE0 175,000km, timing chain and gears needed.

They all vary but majority of them are under 200,000kms. I personally don't believe the revised chains fixed the problem, specially with long service intervals.
I agree with you! !! Any person looking at buying ve v6 put aside $$$$ for this. i can't believe how common this problem is.

VZdore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina 03/2005
Hi Guys. Just acquired an early VZ -03/2005 leo euro 2 engine for my son. I wish i could report i am a happy camper. After just 4 weeks of owning it - had to replace the ecu and PIMM after it suddenly died and the TCM went off line for several days. After fixing those and giving it a general fluid change the damn thing pays me back with a noisy 'diesel' clatter. Is certainly the gift that keeps giving. Having read the various posts my recent problems seems like the known timing chain issues. The various videos is exactly the same of the clatter/noise I am hearing.

However our VZ's noise only occurs after giving it a few extra revs - past 3-4000rpm when the oil warning also comes on. If I stop the engine and immediately start it again, it rattles for a few seconds then quiets down and so long as I take it easy (under 2000rpm) will run all day with no clatter!! Is this typical? Is the oil warning something not associated with the timing chains?

Assuming i am up for chains etc, where is the cheapest place for parts/kit? Happy to fit myself to keep the costs down.

Micaxe

Reaction score
Members Ride
9/17 SSV Redline & 83 VH SS
Hi Guys. Just acquired an early VZ -03/2005 leo euro 2 engine for my son. I wish i could report i am a happy camper. After just 4 weeks of owning it - had to replace the ecu and PIMM after it suddenly died and the TCM went off line for several days. After fixing those and giving it a general fluid change the damn thing pays me back with a noisy 'diesel' clatter. Is certainly the gift that keeps giving. Having read the various posts my recent problems seems like the known timing chain issues. The various videos is exactly the same of the clatter/noise I am hearing.

However our VZ's noise only occurs after giving it a few extra revs - past 3-4000rpm when the oil warning also comes on. If I stop the engine and immediately start it again, it rattles for a few seconds then quiets down and so long as I take it easy (under 2000rpm) will run all day with no clatter!! Is this typical? Is the oil warning something not associated with the timing chains?

Assuming i am up for chains etc, where is the cheapest place for parts/kit? Happy to fit myself to keep the costs down.

Sounds like what I had, its oil starvation, could be a blocked pick-up, or lots of gunk in engine stopping oil flow back to sump. Someone in an earlier post said the sump can be removed without removing engine, probably need to take valve covers off as well to clean up. An oil flush may not be enough. Good luck

Revhigh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VF Maloo
Just thought I'd upload a few photos of some of the gunk we have had to clean, this one was off an Alloytec, but the SIDI's gunk up just the same.

When we do the installs, the timing covers and rocker covers go through a sonic wash, so they are good as new, sump is also cleaned out. When installing these yourselves or getting a workshop to do it, MAKE SURE they clean out the motor, surprising how many cars are coming to us that have already had the chains installed by dodgy mechanics, failing again after a year.

20945357101548435016.jpg

20938055101548435017.jpg

20939065101548435016.jpg
20945447101548435015.jpg
20991306101548435011.jpg
20991605101548435010.jpg

VZdore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina 03/2005
Geez that looks like mine. Took the cam covers off today....oh joy, something else to fix/clean on the VZ. Went back thru the service book - been serviced more or less at the recommended intervals. How the hell do cars with 20K intervals survive?

COMMONRAWRR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE international 2011 3.0
just want to confirm my suspicion
i recently bought a 2011 ve international wagon which drives great and smooth as
however ive noticed a rattle when accelerating from low rpm. its never on cold startup and i am yet to get any codes
seems to actually happen more when the engine is hot
it also on occasion has a sudden drop in rpm or miss when sitting at lights etc
Is this the timing chain ??
im dreding it and hoping there is some other explanation ha.

Ant in Bunbury

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II SIDI
The day after I bought my VE Series II 3.0 SIDI I read one of these posts and vowed the od everything I could to avoid a timing chain issue. That was 5 years and 150,000km, and despite 7500km servicing, a whole lot of liquid molly and more than a few prayers I'm now up for the rebuild :( following what I suspect was an oil flush that left a bit of residue that blocked the sump pickup starving oil.

My (limited mechanical) understanding is that the engine is that the oil pickup plays a big part in these problems. Has anyone found a racing style high volume pickup that can be fitted to the VEs that offers a much larger filter surface area?

If I have to do the timing chain, I figure may as well take any preventative actions possible to avoid it happening again.

Jon the piss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Calais v 6ltr 08
i recently bought a 2011 ve international wagon which drives great and smooth as
however ive noticed a rattle when accelerating from low rpm. its never on cold startup and i am yet to get any codes
Mate ya check engine light to maybe indic
The day after I bought my VE Series II 3.0 SIDI I read one of these posts and vowed the od everything I could to avoid a timing chain issue. That was 5 years and 150,000km, and despite 7500km servicing, a whole lot of liquid molly and more than a few prayers I'm now up for the rebuild :( following what I suspect was an oil flush that left a bit of residue that blocked the sump pickup starving oil.

My (limited mechanical) understanding is that the engine is that the oil pickup plays a big part in these problems. Has anyone found a racing style high volume pickup that can be fitted to the VEs that offers a much larger filter surface area?

If I have to do the timing chain, I figure may as well take any preventative actions possible to avoid it happening again.
I recon it's a electric. fuel
No check engine light on .stress not. Change oil and fuel filter and oxygen sencers

Zeke Topanaga

Reaction score
Members Ride
HX Sandman p van 308 4speed

What oil is everyone using with the problems.
Have they had the car from new ?
It's the months that the oil has been in the car that has to be looked at not the KM only, because driving short distance is one of the worst things for your oil, because that's why the sludge has always came and builds up.
Make sure your PCV is working correctly.

Stevem8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 ve
Hi, just joined as I have just become a victim of the timing chain, I have just purchased car(08 ve V6) and had engine light on, I live on central Coast nsw and would like to hear from anyone that may no a workshop with experience and reasonable price