Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Super Duper Timing Chain Thread!

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I had 2010 from new for 6 yrs..
Serviced every 7500 km with Penrite HPR5 and used engine oil flush at every service...
Spotles and clean inside..like new

Spewcastle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS + VE SV6
Hi, I am also interested in finding out if anyone in the hunter/central coast area has had a new kit put in.
How much $$$$$

Stevem8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 ve
I am booked in next month for software update, I was told by the dealer that if update doesn't work they can put a claim into Holden head office to cover some or all of the cost depending on how many k's are on car. Mine has 145000

Lesthegringo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VE 3.0
Guys, we are doing my friends Commodore timing chain replacement, but when we are looking at the crankshaft timing sprocket, apart from the little dimple there are no painted markings on it for where the chains have to go. Does anyone have a photo of a marked sprocket so that we can see the chain timing mark reference to the dimple?

Cheers

Les

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
I had 2010 from new for 6 yrs..
Serviced every 7500 km with Penrite HPR5 and used engine oil flush at every service...
Spotles and clean inside..like new
Castrol edge 5w30 and now 5w40 at 175K and always 7500km changes never used engine clean and all good. 12/09 Calais.

Think some oils(even top ones don't clean the engines enough), read guys say oil came out clean engine must be in good nick its really the oil dosnt have enough detergents to clean engine.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Castrol edge 5w30 and now 5w40 at 175K and always 7500km changes never used engine clean and all good. 12/09 Calais.

Think some oils(even top ones don't clean the engines enough), read guys say oil came out clean engine must be in good nick its really the oil dosnt have enough detergents to clean engine.

The issue were those extended 15k
service intervals with semi synth oils...
That's what caused sludging

KustomKulture62

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 Specialized Hardrock Sports Disc 29er
Is it only the V6's with the timing chain issues or do the V8's have them to.

Stevem8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 ve
I have been quoted $2500 for chain replacement on the Central Coast

Simon12312

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE commodore LY7 High Output engine
If anyone could help me that'd be great, my 2006 ve commodore (high output alloytec motor) had the engine light come on so I hooked it up to my scan tool and it said the timing needed to be replaced, I bought the parts and alignment tools but I'm having a problem where the exhaust cam on the LH bank keeps jumping from the spring pressure of the valve springs I guess. This doesn't happen on the RH bank. It's like the exhaust cam can't keep up with the intake cam, leading to the chain having loads of slack and then the valve springs make the camshaft turn rapidly and skip a few teeth, this happens just about every revolution.

Glenn D.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sv 6 z-series
Yeah another ve timming chain bought my 2012 sv6 z off the floor stoked yeah now with this timming chain not happy even more so after seeing how many out there have the same,and unless im mistakn dont holden have a fix for this as in a different pitch chain or somthn ? Well i rekon if thats the case they pretty much all but admit that they have sold a faulty product,,
Has anyone hit up holden to foot the bill,?
I have sent them an email as well as the dealer i bought it from asking rhem too as it is such a wide spread problem there near got a leagle prob,i duno but thats what i said so i will see how it goes and if i have luck will post,i may have a chance as im the 1st owner ,has anyone gone down this road with holden?