Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Super Duper Timing Chain Thread!

ajobbins

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE V-Series
I've had P0018 twice in the last two weeks (I've reset it both time).

Not sure if my '06 Omega has already had the software upgrade that changes the tolerances (and the VIM delete that needs to happen too if not).

Anyone know how to tell?

chromic

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 E2 R8 Maloo, 05 VZ CV8 Monaro, 96 VS V6 Ute
At what kilometer intervals will the timing chain need replacing? I have a 2009 3.6 litre SIDI engine in my SV6 ute that has travelled 186,000kms. I bought the ute at 147,000kms so I am assuming it may have been done at 100,000kms.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
There is no defined time for timing chain replacement. If you have a problem with it then replace it and preferably oil pump as well. 06, 07 and maybe early 08 models have issues with the timing chain later 08's onwards are supposed to be fixed however there is a number of threads on here suggest there can still be problems, but again you only need to replace if a problem arises, normally this would show as check engine light then when codes are read suggesting timing chain problem.

CommodoreKings

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Ve Omega V series 1
i had a ve omega v and i just did a timing chain, it took about a month for holden to figure out what the problem was but she's fixed now and has a stronger chain

aunto

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore SV6 2007
Hey mate where did you do the job? Care to share? Also the price and whats icluded (eg waterpump, oil pump, etc)

Sv6sidibilly

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 ve sv6 sidi
2010 sv6 sidi engine light came on months ago then went off and on randomly for about 3 weeks, for about a month it's been on all the time, when the weather is hot the car runs sluggish from take off, when it's cooler weather the car runs fine, last week when coming to a stop the engine light started blinking and car was shaking with ruff idle that lasted a minute or so before idle returning to normal with engine light not flashing just on, plugged a scanner in gave p0008 code suggesting timing chain stretch, car has been running fine no noises from chains, if out side temp gets above 30deg it's sluggish, any ideas??

aunto

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore SV6 2007
2010 sv6 sidi engine light came on months ago then went off and on randomly for about 3 weeks, for about a month it's been on all the time, when the weather is hot the car runs sluggish from take off, when it's cooler weather the car runs fine, last week when coming to a stop the engine light started blinking and car was shaking with ruff idle that lasted a minute or so before idle returning to normal with engine light not flashing just on, plugged a scanner in gave p0008 code suggesting timing chain stretch, car has been running fine no noises from chains, if out side temp gets above 30deg it's sluggish, any ideas??

Oxygen sensor or timing position sensor, maybe someone can confirm?