Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Thread for Those That Have Left Us Before Their Time Was Up (the trolls)

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Which is why I speak fluent layman. Why try and baffle people with technobabble if not to just sound impressive and superior?

You are obviously not in IT :p It's an essential skill according to most.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
You are obviously not in IT :p It's an essential skill according to most.

I think that is a language required for any repair person lol.

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
I'm genuinely surprised im not in this thread, haha!

rory

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SV6 & 2006 Nissan Patrol ST
Don't remember his name but I'm sure a mod could grab it from the archives, but there was always the under seat turbo P-Plater that was sure that there was room there and that there wasn't any heat or structural issues with chopping the floor pan. I think he was my favorite.

While Pir4te had some good info, he couldn't see that there was more than his way to do something. Made it frustrating when someone offered a different opinion, particularly around AFM.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I'm still very intrigued by it. He's got a thread about it on AV8 atm.

Personally, I don't believe it. He's got a few threads about it on different forums, non showing the cam shaft though........

I also heard a rumor he'd blown up the engine but no idea if it's true or not.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
I'm still very intrigued by it. He's got a thread about it on AV8 atm.

.. not only a thread but sum posts like these classics...

Yeah a couple of years ago now with ported TB, basically radius bars induce tumble and that changes some things for the better, especially L92 with high comp. There is a downside for daily driving though, the tumbling in the runners makes a signature sound like a huge sow in flagrante delectico. At best is like an owl hooting!
So I run mass loaded vinyl under the skull cap, under the turtle back, and cover the entire engine bay with an MLV blanket. :hmmm:

Ahoy!
At 175k km I recently decided to overhaul my work wagon, which in 2011 was one of the first Flex Fuel V8s (FFVs).
After coming to terms with the fuel in various regions under wide ranging conditions over three or four years I did some dedicated research into engineering mods specifically to capitalise on the unique combustion properties of ethanol.
In short that meant raising DCR and controlling the charge / compression in the tune via continuously Variable Valve Actuation.
Static compression is near 14:1 using JE forged FSR custom domed and relieved 4.030" pistons and 64cc chamber.
Cam has two profiles to suit cylinder deactivation (AFM), valve lift is 0.550" via rockers, 222/226 115+6 LSA. The most interesting cam spec is an ICL of 109º with the phaser parked, because with 34º cam phaser (VVT) authority the ICL can extend to 143º without PTV. In other words the IVC event is programmable from 66º ABDC through 134º ABDC. This sort of over-retard (extreme LIVC) allows charge / compression control and a type of efficient cycle similar to Atkinson / Miller.
The result is BMEP of 15 Bar - a Clayton's turbo - with greater thermal efficiency. Where appropriate components have been strengthened to handle the 30% torque increase, and induction / exhaust tuned to ethanol's thermodynamics.

.. like WTF? :rofl2:

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
He took the US style of modification, with parts from US engines, brought it here. Spent massive amounts of money on making AFM work.

Good on him, he loves AFM and has furthered AFM modification in Australia. I applaud his research and knowledge behind the AFM system. I really do. What he fails (and apparently his friends as well) to realise is not many people care about AFM in this country and those that do arent modifying their engines.

The very simple fact is very few people here are going to spend the coin he did to make the power he did when you can slap a Turbo or a Supercharger to it for less money and effort and get another 100rwkw.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Doesn't matter that he's over stating exactly what can be achieved.........