Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 The time of my life.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
The WORST time of my life, that is.

Keep in mind, I havn't touched ANYTHING. This is how my engine has been running since I purchased it:

I have double, triple and quadruple checked. My motor is at true TDC. The dizzy points to cyl1, and when I crank the engine by hand, the next valve to open on cyl1 is exhaust.

Can somebody explain to me why the front of my engine reads like this, at true TDC: o_O

MortonVQ_84.jpg

MortonVQ_84b.jpg

And I've checked - when I have the two "timing marks" or "dots" 9 links apart on the oil pump side, the dizzy points to cyl4 (fake TDC, about to intake and compress on cyl1). And no, those "bright links" never line up with the timing marks.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
can you get the dots to line up like the blue ones

Attachments

• skghio.jpg
    skghio.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 182

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
I'm PRETTY sure the 304 isn't a dot-to-dot motor. And no, I can't :p

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
looks like its 2-3 teeth out on the lower sprocket if you use the 9 link theory

vq rat

vq rat
Reaction score
Members Ride
vn bt1 burnout weapon
Right the dots need to be on the passenger side of the motor and its 9 links between dots, the cam dowel pin needs to be on the drivers side too, if you have a repco store that you go to i recommend a book to get its a max ellerys book called how to rebuild and hotrod Holden v8 the part number is ep.hv8 a great book very detailed and lots of r and d work gone in to maken the book i have had it for years and get to go back and look throw if ya not shore on something

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
so its obviously set correct then if the marks line up 9 links apart on the oil pump side its probably to do with the difference between carby and efi cam lobe differences or something silly

vq rat

vq rat
Reaction score
Members Ride
vn bt1 burnout weapon
Carby should be the same i reckon as the 5ltrs still have the fuel pump drive on them running of the front of the cam gear

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
yeah but the inlet exhaust valve order of the lobes is different

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Right the dots need to be on the passenger side of the motor and its 9 links between dots, the cam dowel pin needs to be on the drivers side too, if you have a repco store that you go to i recommend a book to get its a max ellerys book called how to rebuild and hotrod Holden v8 the part number is ep.hv8 a great book very detailed and lots of r and d work gone in to maken the book i have had it for years and get to go back and look throw if ya not shore on something

I know that mate, I know exactly how it should line up.

BUT when I do that (set dots on pass side, 9 links etc), my dizzy points at cylinder 4, and my next stroke on cyl1 is intake/compression. It's not true TDC.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
its still timed right though just odd its timed on No4 tdc fireing